Author Topic: Another new guy here...  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Old Bill

• Aggressively passive
Another new guy here...
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
Not new to machining, but new to the site. Been working metal (for fun and a bit of profit here and there.  :thumbup: ) going on 20 years now, but am always learning new stuff. I started out on my paternal grandfather's 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe, eventually purchased an import mill/drill with a rotary table and have been gathering accessories ever since. Two years ago, I received a Central Machinery 13x40 (or somewhere thereabouts) lathe from my maternal grandfather. More recently, (and sadly, due to the death of my maternal grandfather) I have acquired a surface/T&C grinder, a foundry furnace, and a whole slew of accessories like 5c collet chuck, spin indexer, surface plate and assorted calipers, gauges, and indicators.

Anyhow, I've been browsing the site, and really liked how it presents itself and the huge variety of projects, so I signed up. In fact, the day I signed up, I found ArnoldB's post on a vice backstop, and I now have one of my very own....

The knobs are a result of having too much fun being able to take a part out of the lathe still in the 5c collet and put them on the spin indexer in the mill. Besides, my knurling still kind of sucks at the moment. Eventually, I'm going to make a scissor type knurler to solve that problem.

Something else I managed to accomplish was refurbishing this light.

It was in my grandfather's 'pile of rusty treasure', and I was able to grab them while I was helping my parents clean his place out. I can remember these very lights (there are two, still working on the other) in the same pile of stuff since I was ten years old. It's probably a very safe bet that these haven't shed any light on a subject in 50 years. For whatever reason, I felt compelled to bring them back to life, and a bit of wire wheeling, painting, and some new wiring and ceramic sockets, this light is now showing me the way around my surface plate. Nice part is, the articulating parts do move quite nicely, and I can even use it for extra light on the milling machine, or above the garage floor if I'm working on the motorcycle or whatever.  Here's a pic of the swivel mechanism I hacked out...

Anyways, I wanted to say hey, and I look forward to some really great projects and conversations with everyone!
Old Bill  (For the record, I'm not Bill. Heck, I'm not even old. I'm just some guy using his name....)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Another new guy here...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:20:14 AM »
Hi Bill, (or, whatever your name), welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

I love how you're using equipment with a family history......   :clap: :clap:

With your pedigree...... You'll do for us!  :thumbup:

Enjoy!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »
Hi Bill :wave: Welcome to Madmodder, it sounds like you will fit right in here, so pull up a chair and join in the fun.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »
Hi and Welcome Bill  :wave:

Great first post  :med:  ,,,,,,,,,,, and you have made a fine job of making Arnold's vice stop  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do you do much casting ?  :D

Rob

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:14:27 AM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum, you should fit in well here. That vice stop came up good. :beer:

Dave

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »
Hi Old Bill, welcome to the collective  :borg: , as we like to call it.

Nice to see you're using your grandfather's tooling. Don't see much of that anymore.

Hope to see many more projects emerge from your shop. Time for you to clean up your shop and give the collective a vitual tour.  :poke:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »
Hiya Bill (?)  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Nice work on that vice stop!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi OLD BILL!,

This is from young bill,  :beer: welcome to the collective (mad house), great to see you resurrecting those light fittings.  :thumbup:
 When I served my time we took over an old weaving shed and if memory serves me correctly hundreds went in the bin.
 Its great to see you modding from the site with the vice back stop.   :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Now about this ere steeling of names,   :wack:

Bill

If Old Bill is refferance your Grandad then rock on  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline Old Bill

• Aggressively passive
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
Do you do much casting ?  :D

Rob

Not yet, but I grabbed the foundry furnace for that reason. I figured that I've already done everything from precision work to blacksmithing, I may as well do some casting while I'm at it.  Still have to figure out how to make the dragon breath fire and then I need a crucible and the appropriate tongs. I will probably just make some aluminum biscuits at first until I get a feel for it, then I'll break out my grandfather's cope and drag and actually make something useful.

I'll get some cleaning done and get a picture tour together for you guys soon!
Old Bill  (For the record, I'm not Bill. Heck, I'm not even old. I'm just some guy using his name....)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Hi
Bill
Welcome to mad modders
I am sure you will enjoy casting
John

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »
Hi Bill & welcome to the cosy, whacky place that's MM

Hi OLD BILL!,

This is from young bill,  :beer: ........Now about this ere steeling of names,   :wack: ......

You think you've got problems!!  - I've lost track of how many other Daves there are here on MM !

Dave (Isle of Man)   :beer:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »
HI and welcome from krv3000