Author Topic: Ten times better now!  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Old Bill

• Aggressively passive
Ten times better now!
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
I am currently trying to figure out how I'm going to true up some wrist pins for use as a pair of cylindrical squares. They are ALMOST perfect, but not quite. While I've been chipping away at this, one of the things I wished I had was the ability to measure to tenths. And then, it somehow clicked!    :Doh:

I have one of these...

And one of these...

And who doesn't have a bunch of these bits of scrapbinium just laying around....

So the design process began, and it slowly took shape...

Until I wound up with this...

I secured the vernier so that the gauge indicator read 0 while the vernier was already backed out .1". This allowed me to move both directions to measure. I am able to set the anvil down on the surface plate with a definite 'thunk' that is more felt than heard, and is far more obvious than the carbide tip that came with it. So now I dial up the head to just above the item I want to measure, lock it in place at a convenient number, and subtract how much the vernier dials down.

With that done, I broke out my troublesome wrist pins and proceeded measuring. I did find a low spot in one quadrant of the first one that corresponded with an area that was apparently worn. (It was much more polished than the other quadrants.) And further, I found that I was getting differences between the inside and outside edges. By this point, I ran out of time, but now that I can measure them, I can map them out and come up with a plan of attack for the surface grinder.  :dremel:

Next up, an attachment to put my DTI on my height gauge.
Old Bill  (For the record, I'm not Bill. Heck, I'm not even old. I'm just some guy using his name....)