Author Topic: Gun Laws  (Read 7271 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Gun Laws
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi,

Strange how gun laws differ from country to country.
I'm really talking here about countries that allow their citizens to posses a gun.

Here in South Africa it has to be concealed at all times, if it can be seen on your person you are in trouble.

Now Wes from another post was saying if it is concealed, you are in trouble.

Isn't that odd
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
Re: Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
Also the definition of concealed differs.
In my state, if you have a gun in a holster under a jacket, it is not concealed unless the jacket is buttoned!

Also the variance of rules considering where carry is allowed.

Varies all over the place.

Art
Country Bubba

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
Here in the U.S.A. It varies from state to state. Some states are very strict and others not so much. It has also changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. Going to High school it was common for kids to have a rifle in the back window of their pickup. Especially during deer hunting season.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »
Here in the U.S.A. It varies from state to state.
~Wes~

Goodness me that's even worst.
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:08:42 AM »
I read a story a few years ago about a police officer who was arested because the gun law in his state changed. One day he was OK the next day he was a fellon. So not only do they change from country to country or from state to state, but they are differant from day to day.

Where will the stupidity stop?

Pappy Frank

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »

After we _______________ (fill in the blank) them all.  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:08 AM »

After we _______________ (fill in the blank) them all.  :D

Bernd

This can of worms need not be opened!!!

Joe

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
The U.S. (and, as it is evolving, Canada) tend to be very strange in this regard.  The issue of "guns in schools" broke badly in the 1990's when my wife was a school board member for a small district in rural Washington State.  It became a Federal Offense to bring a firearm onto school property (including a school bus).  Our locale had (and still does) a surfeit of cougar.  Small humans look like an easy meal for cougar.  The tradition had been that older kids would bring a firearm (usually a shotgun) with them to the bus stop to solve this problem.  In the three years after the law was passed, several (four, I believe) grade school children around the western U.S. (not in our area) were killed by cougar -- a point missed by those knee-jerk reacting to school shootings.

On the other side of the equation, our Second Amendment was written at a time when firearms were particularly inaccurate, hard to load, and failed regularly when fired (which is where we get the description flash in the pan).  In point of fact, the weapon that won both the American Revolution and (though "winning" is somewhat of a misnomer) the War of 1812 was a knife (specifically the Kaintuck Toothpick)!  Most urban areas in the U.S. treat carrying a knife (even a folding knife) as a worse crime than carrying a firearm.  (I kid you not, I have been "taken in" three times over the past four decades for carrying a Swiss Army Knife!)

One of the things I do with moderate regularity is make explosive bolts for military and space applications.  When I purchase propellant (most people would say "gunpowder") and primers for such purposes, I have to show my explosive's license and have the taggent ID of those components registered to my license.  However, if I say I am using it to reload ammunition, (A) no license is required and (B) it is a Federal Offense to register the taggent ID's of the components purchased!  Talk about schizophrenic.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
Hey guys... locking this thread. Too close to a political discussion for me.

Thanks!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.