Author Topic: home made running center  (Read 4271 times)

Offline krv3000

home made running center
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »

HI all not posted for a wile i needed a better running center as the one that i got off the net is to big see pic  i have seen Meany plan's of home made running centers so i decided to have a go and mack my own   i needed a MT2 i piked up a broken drill from the boot sale for 20p this will be the start of the running center  i cut the drill bit off as far up as possible the MT2 has seen beater days but after sum dti i got it fitting nice in to a MT3 to MT2 sleeve put its in to the lathe and  with a dti got it all running up on center turned dawn the front  to except the Peace of stainless steel that will become the Bering careyer for the center

Offline krv3000

Re: home made running center
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
i then ruffed out the peace of stainless steel then silver soldered it to the MT2 shaft refitted back on the lathe and checked all was still on center  i then center drilled then drilled m6 to a depth off 21mm then i Bord out to 17mm this is the OD of the bearings to a depth of 18mm i then removed from the lathe and from the front back 30mm on the center line i spot drilled then drilled to a depth of 15mm with a 2mm drill i then drilled to a depth of 8mm for a m4 thread this will be the locking pin hole and when completed will be cum the greasing point   right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
i then got sum silver steel and ruff out Wat will become the center point it self turned it dawn to 13mm then turned it dawn to 9mm by 15 long then turned it dawn to 5.5mm by 10mm long then i made up a Bering blank to support the center while i drilled threw the 2mm hole in to the 5.5mm step this will be for the looking pin i then got a m4 grub screw drilled the bottom and press fitted a 2mm pin i checked that all was well then i preset in the Bering's i then made the front locking collier witch is all so stainless steel i then fitted the center and with the looking pin in place the center was ready for the last bit i put my MT3 dead center in my lathe then set the Cross slide to the angel of the dead center  put my center back in the lathe ans once again checked all was still on center then proceeded to turn the center point  all dun more pics     regards bob

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »
Not bad at all  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
Nicely done Bob!  :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
Nice one Bob, that's definitely something I need to copy one day, my only live centre is as chunky as yours, and it gets right in the road sometimes.

Thanks for sharing!   :nrocks:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
HI all thank for the replies