Author Topic: Angle grinder chop saw/ cut off saw recommendation please?  (Read 13600 times)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
Angle grinder chop saw/ cut off saw recommendation please?
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »
Can any of you chaps recommend an angle chop saw attachment housing so like below?
Also are they any good  I just want an easy way to cut 40mm dia plastic bar into perfectly square lengths?

Thanks chaps.

JUST found this link they guy's casting his own chop saw parts!

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/chopsaw01.html

Offline John Rudd

Re: Angle grinder chop saw/ cut off saw recommendation please?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
I have one of these........http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/060522008    for my Bosch angle grinder....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
I got one of those dirt cheap ones last time Aldi (or Lidl, one of the two) were selling tools. It works well enough for cutting small stuff (40mm plastic bar should be doable, so long as your cutting disc is fresh). You might have to fiddle with the clamping system to guarantee perfectly square - or, just cut them a little oversize & square off in the lathe.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Please don't try any type of grinding device to cut plastic.  Potential to 'load' the wheel and have it fail.  If thermoplastic, it will melt locally anyway.

Tricks like that would have led to instant dismissal where I've worked previously.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »
I'll second the advice not to grind plastic.

As for cutting stock, I too wanted to make or buy a small cut-off saw for the longest time.  Since I bought a used 4x6 bandsaw a few years ago, I've never thought about it again.  Bandsaws are much quieter and cleaner, not to mention more accurate in my opinion.

-Sparky

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
I have a 6" chop saw, and a smaller one with the slotting type blades. plus one like the first photo in your post.

Is the 6"

is the 2"
I know you don't have the harbor freight ones over there, but the 2" one is sold by a number of model tool web sites.
Machine mart might have something like it.
I use the 6" one for non ferrous and the 2" one for plastic, small dia brass, and wood bits.
The 2" or 50mm one can use the wheels that are sold for the Dremel type along with the small saw blades!  :dremel:
The version I have like in the first photo, has a lot of flex when cutting steel bar stock, and the vibrations tend to loosen the zip ties that hold the angle grinder in place.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline bry1975

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
David,

What about a very thin kerf cutting disc which was the idea?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
DO NOT USE any type of abrasive disk, it will load up the disk and it can cause a catastrophic failure send bits and sharp shrads in every direction.  Look for a slotting or slitting saw. Or Dremel saw blades there are a number of companies making saw blades for the Dremel type tools.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
A woodworking type chop saw would be better suited to plastic, fit with a negative rake triple chip blade I quite often use mine to cut PVC pressure pipe which has quite a thick wall.

How accurate do you want your slices?

J

Offline bry1975

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks glen,

I will either stick with the bandsaw option or the correct chop saw.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »

It seems rather like re-inventing the wheel. Sorry but it does.
If only plastic is needed to be cut- to precise widths- the King of Machine Tools is the thing.

I have a somewhat ancient Myford- more than 50 years old but  with a home made
parting tool holder with a sharp hss blade, it will rip its way through wood, plastic and metal- up to 50mm-2" diameter.

There is no need to worry about 'bunging up' abrasive disks,  wondering about  'running off,' and all the clap trap of noise and muck flying about.

All that my parting tool needs is a quick lick on the front face of my grinder. the blade already has a kerf along its top, it is tilted at a workable 7 degrees in the design.

And it took me longer to type this than sharpen it.  And  if you want accuracy, a £10 note will buy a vernier- if  real precision is needed.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
In the UK we have the 'Abrasive Wheel Regulations' - many of you may have noticed the large laminated poster on workshop walls adjacent to grinding equipment.  The reason for the regulations is because of the potential for horrendous injury and even death if the wheels are mis-used.

The 'delayed action' between mis-use and catastrophic failure of the wheel means it often isn't the guy that mis-used the wheel that is killed or maimed.

I'm no expert, but I've seen how seriously the subject is treated in industry.  Any sign of wood, plastic, aluminium or other 'soft metals' having been in contact with a grinding wheel would result in the wheel immediately being condemned and a very serious attempt made to find out who was responsible.