Author Topic: They're after your hard earned money  (Read 5624 times)

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
They're after your hard earned money
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:00:02 AM »
Because you can’t jump in the car and nip down to the shops for  a 2MT drill chuck or a set of adjustable reamers most of us rely heavily on the internet for our shopping.  This usually means using our flexible friend to pay for goods.

I have just been alerted by my bank that some piece of lowlife has been trying to access my bank account. Fortunately alarm bells rang at the bank and the transactions were stopped in their tracks. Apparently these fraudsters quite often use the stolen card details to top up their mobile ‘phones and download music before venturing into more expensive purchases.

My damage limitation against this sort of activity is to keep one bank account for internet purchasing with only a nominal balance and no overdraft facility. I can always top it up as required and to meet specific purchases.

Possibly I could be acused of stating the b------g obvious but better safe than sorry - eh ?

John S
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: They're after your hard earned money
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »
Aahh, But was the bank alert genuine ?

I get about 20 a week saying that this has happened, most from banks I don't even bank with.
If I did get one from XXXX bank, i'd ring them up and not rely on the any links or email.

JS
John Stevenson

Offline John-Som

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
Good question john. That thought went thro my head so rang the head office to verify.

John S

start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
I had that happen to me over here.

Bank called Sunday night alerting me that there was some strange activity on my card. Of course I didn't believe the call since I assumed it was to get my card number. On Moday I called the card company and sure enough a purchase had been made in the about of $3,000.00. This threw up a red flag at the card company since I don't make that large of a purchase at one time. They canceled the card and I had a new one within 10 days. They were even nice enough to increase the amount I could spend.  :doh:

I've been also thinking of getting a card with the lowest amount possible and use that for interweb purchasing.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline boxford-boy (Tony)

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
Hi all        BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.
IF YOU DON'T LOOK AFTER YOUR MONEY SOMEONE ELSE WILL.
I took the same precautions  ie  separate credit card and separate bank account.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:48:20 PM »
Very good advice... Use a separate card/account for online activities. Even a step further is to use a separate on for paypal.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
I'm looking to get a paypal account. I could use a link please?

Reason I ask here is I'll get a truthful answer. Thanks.

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Bernd,

Go to here and select US.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

I don't use credit cards, and have never had a single bit of trouble with Paypal with many years of use.

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
A little story relating to CC purchases.  A couple of years ago I was ordering a game online.  I entered my CC info, and had just hit return to close the deal when the phone rang.  It was the CC company!  Seems I had entered the wrong expiration date (clumsy fingers), and it came up instantly on their computers.  I assured them it was me that was making the purchase, and confirmed the amount.  I thought that was pretty amazing, considering that the purchase was for less than $50.

I order from eBay and online sources all the time.  I've never had a problem with anyone in regards to payment, using both CC and paypal.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline John-Som

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
I always use debit (as opposed to credit) cards. Though I understand that with credit cards you have a greater degree of protection and comeback if you are the victim of fraud but I just don't like them. Like you Bogsie I have never had any probs with Paypal and am always pleased when I see that Paypal payments are accepted - saves me rushing downstairs to get my debit card from my wallet.

John S

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
Thanks John.

I've looked into it. Now I have to do a little  :med: before I decide if I want to go this way.

Bernd