Author Topic: How do you orrganize/store tools for horizontal mill?  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Pelallito

How do you orrganize/store tools for horizontal mill?
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
Hello,
Now that I have my Atlas benchtop horizontal finally working, I need some advice.
How do you guys organize/store the cutters and tooling for a machine like that?
I have built a workbench that is 48" X 26?". Not sure about that second dimension.
I plan on buying and putting this oil drip pan on it-http://www.walmart.com/ip/ATP-Extra-Large-Oil-Drip-Pan/16778234.
Then the mill on top of that. Hopefully that will leave me enough room for a BT vertical someday.
I have considered a peg board back,and/ or perhaps drawers underneath.
I also am going to hang a fluorescent fixture over the table.
Recommendations and advice happily accepted.
Regards,
Fred

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: How do you orrganize/store tools for horizontal mill?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
I was asking myself the same question today :) 

I've been search ebay etal for plan chests and other shallow drawer systems.
Bill

Offline Miner

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
Well your both in luck, Check the general forum on HSM. A thread titled "Shop Organizers-Caution Woodworking Content" by Gary Paine should give you both everything your looking for. I'm more than a little impressed with his ideas. To be honest, I'm not a real fan of wall hanging any type of tooling that real precision is expected from. Collets, Morse Tapers, Cutting tools, ect. It doesn't take much airborn dust and shop dirt/chips to throw them out just enough to make a difference for tooling that may not be used every day.

Pete

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:50 AM »
I saw this post come to the top and was going to post a link to that myself Pete
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=51079

All my horizontal cutters are stored in a steel cupboard, oiled up in Zip lock type bags. I have bad rust problems in my shed as well, and this keeps them in good condition.
It only takes a quick wipe over when I need one and is better than them rusting away if they are not used in a long time. Over here they are worth a lot in any size, so I look after them as much as possible.

Dave

Offline Miner

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Dave,
For what it's worth you certainly have my sympathy. I guess I'm pretty lucky and have about zero rust problems where I live. Yeah decent cutting tools here are probably about the same in price too. Good idea about the oil and Zip lock bags too.

Pete

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for the replies, the link and ideas!
I have not really done anything yet, besides starting to clean the cutters.
I finally put the mill on the bench as I described a while ago and am in the process of making some tools for it and painting it.
I am looking for other ideas for lighting the mill, I was told on another forum that fluorescent lights are not a good idea, because of the flicker factor.
Thanks again,
Fred

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
All my horizontal cutters are stored in a steel cupboard, oiled up in Zip lock type bags. I have bad rust problems in my shed as well, and this keeps them in good condition.
Dave (and all) -- I have two "solutions" here: (1) I oil parts/tooling with a light coat of mineral oil and cover them with "cling wrap" (Saran wrap here in the States) to prevent dust and rust from intervening; and (2) I wax things that need more "exposed" storage to prevent rust.  For the latter, I use Treewax (a carnuba and beeswax floor wax) which solvents right off with denatured alcohol or acetone.  I wax all my non-hot rolled steel in my storage racks and it works quite well.  I live in the area described in Sometimes a Great Notion where the father of the main character abandons everything because he opens a brand new barrel of nails only to find them completely covered in rust -- a tale common to many families in the (US) Pacific northwest.