Author Topic: PC issue  (Read 9224 times)

Offline John Rudd

PC issue
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
Any pc gurus on here?

MY pc intermittantly locks up..no mouse or keyboard input is permitted.........the machine just stops dead no blue screen or the like...Only way out is to reboot...

PC is an AMD based 1800Mhz cpu running Windows XP no add ins updates, with 512Mb memory, 2 hard discs, one as pure data storage...

This phenomenon has only recently started and I dont believe it to be due to a virus....Had a VS on the machine and that makes things worse from a performance perspective so I took it off..

Any ideas what to do please?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: PC issue
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
Hi John...

I used to know a deal about PCs... Hard to tell without looking at it, but I have some tuneup suggestions.

1. Add more memory. 512Mb just isn't enough these days. Try to double it if you can.

2. Run a few spybot type programs...
    SpyBot
    MalwareBytes

3. Defrag the harddrive

4. Check add/remove programs to see if anything has been installed you don't use or didn't install

I am sure a few others will have more tips for you.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
I'm no guru, but I would try 1st of all running the windows task manager when you start your pc (just press Ctrl + Alt + Del together) then "minimize"it (2nd button from the left of the red X to close the window) That will also place a little bargraph display in the bottom right of your screen, this bargraph tells you how hard the processor is working. Then wait for the next freeze and check what the bargraph reads, if it stays at the max your problem is more likely to be software based.

A hardware solution to try is to remove and re-seat the memory and any video/expansion cards. Sometimes they can not be seated quite right to begin with, then when everything warms up a contact breaks and the pc freezes.

If you can add some more memory that would make a huge difference, add 1GB if you can.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
I would recommend freebie CCleaner, cleans up cookies and other accumulated junk, checks the registry for problems and allows a back up before changes are made in case of problems. Available here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I would also highly recommend Auslogistics Defragging program. Free here:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

Use the defrag and optimize option first.

Usual disclamer, no commertial intrest, just happy user...

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
I'll second the reseating (or replacing) of memory (RAM).  I recently had a computer that would freeze seemingly at random.  I figured it was a video issue, but after trying another card the problem was still there.

4 of 4 slots were filled, so I took out all but the first.  It ran great for hours without problems where before it would freeze within minutes of startup.  Still not sure if it was bad RAM or slot, but I was definitely in the right area.

I would absolutely not recommend free "cleaners".  By default, XP uses NTFS rather than FAT.  The only thing you need to understand from this is that NTFS doesn't need to be defragged the same as FAT.  Also, I have never seen a computer freeze as you're describing due to a fragmented hard drive.

-Sparky

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »
I beg to differ, Sparky. I work as a computer tech and use these programs daily. Cleaning the junk off and defragging  are the second and third best things you can do to keep all flavors of Windoz running smoothly. First being to increase memory to max usable.

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:15 PM »
I am not a guru either but I used to have Windows 98 so had to learn about getting the bloody thing going when it had a brainfart (every other day). :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

It sounds like there is a program running that is corrupted...a bit of line missing from the run cycle. :doh:

I would set the system back to an earlier time before the problems started or, if you are connected to the internet (do not do this if you do not have an antivirus installed!!!!! AVG Free is what we use at home) then update all the programs you run.

To reset your time go to:
Start - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and choose a date earlier than your problems. The computer will then reset itself to the format that was going on that day.

You will not lose any documents or pictures but you WILL lose any programs installed since then.
You will also get back any programs that you have uninstalled since too...

I also run IOBIT Advanced System Care and run that every so often. It defrags, checks for runtime errors and all sorts of stuff that makes the computer behave itself, all the stuff Chuck recommends...and it's free too!

I run 512MB of ram and it works fine on XP. My wife has got Vista and what a load of crap that is! That is where you need huge RAM. :poke:

XP will always ask you to confirm that you want to do something, Vista goes off on its own and tries to do it without telling you then doesn't tell you when it can't manage it so leaves you with a very slow computer.
They told us that XP was not going to be maintained by updates anymore...3 years ago! And look, updates are all back. :clap:

Hope that helps...it has done so for me many times.

Andy

PS If you are an eccentric millionare financed by her indoors, get her to buy you a new one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
I agree that junk is one of the biggest causes for computer slow down, and often the (mistaken) reason that people replace computers.

However, it would seem we have to agree to disagree in some respects as I don't believe the symptoms that John describes would be the best fit for a computer that's "junked up".  I have also used many of the free and not so free programs that have caused much more harm than good.

There are some good computer techs out there, and thus I make no judgements about you personally.  However, I know of many "techs" who make it very difficult for the guys who actually know what they're doing to be trusted so I hope you can appreciate my natural skepticism and take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

-Sparky

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
LOL, no problem Sparky, I feel the same way about a lot of "Machinists" :lol:

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline daz

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
does it stall on start up or once windoze is running? once into windoze does it stall quicker each time you reboot?
Click START, then RUN and type MSCONFIG into the box and hit enter, you will then see "System Configuration Utillity" Click on STARTUP, you will see a whole load of stuff that loads on start up. Uncheck as many boxes as you can, read what everything is first before unticking. If you see anything related to printers, microsoft office, adobe, picture viewers etc then untick them. Leave anything to do with your chosen firewalls, antivirus etc. If you dont know what it is then type it into google to find out, disabling some things can stop your pc from responding. If you know how to do a screen shot then take one of your start up and post back. Your problem could also be related to missing or corrupt dll's, another very common problem. Have you installed or deleted any software recently?
The list for this type of problem is almost endless and could be caused by any one of a million things, think about anything you have done lately on your pc, new programs, antivirus,, cd/dvd burning software. These types of things dont like running with others and can cause easilly fixed problems.
As Brass Machine says, if you can then try ALT CRL DEL together to open task manager, click on processes then click on CPU twice, you will then see what is hoggin all your resources, you can then also click on mem usage to see what is stealing memory, dont be surprised to see your chosen antivirus program!!!
Need anymore help then just shout back, I have 3 mates that do this for a living and I'm sure between them and the guys on here your issue can be resolved

daz
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
If you think it may be a virus download this and and run it , sometimes viruses once on a pc can hide and once in I have found the likes of norton then doesent spot them as I think because it is one of the most used programs viruses are writen to defeat them the same way windows gets batterd but unix gets left alone.
F secure is a good program and will run along side your present program

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/protection/internet-security/trial
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:11:33 AM »
Hi John.
First with 512MB you can run winxp, but it's allways better to have more memory.
Next I have found that Microsoft security essential (it's free) is a very good antivirus softwhere. I have use it for a year now and I am very pleased.
Just a week ago I run into the very same problems as you have (with my daughters computer). This is what I did:
Restor the system to a time where I know that there was no problem.
Run the antivirus program.
Run a cleaner for the registry.
Check Ms Config for anon softwhere in the start up process.
Run diskcleaner and defrag.
For me it went very good.  :D

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Ok,

I have very little in the way of apps on my pc at the moment, ran Spybot, not much change..
What I have noticed is the cpu usage is running at 100%( but not all the time) even just at system idle..ie. when not viewing web pages...

I'll check on the msconfig utility and see whats running and loading up the machine...

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »
Don't forget to check the device manager to see that you have no error. :headbang:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
I have the same problem with mine: It's also an AMD Athlon (I forget which one exactly), 8gb ram, running Ubuntu + several virtual machines. About once a month or thereabouts, it just locks solid requiring a hard reset.

The only thing I can think it might be is a thermal issue, but even that seems unlikely, the room the PC is in never gets spectacularly hot.

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
Ade,

I thought it may be have been heat related too...

I took the pc into the garage, removed all fans and cleaned them up...Removed the cpu and regreased the contact surfaces...

The failures are fairly random...
Yesterday it stopped three times within the space of 5 mins :doh:...In the end I gave up and switched off!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »
FWIW, two years ago my 10-year old laptop had intermittent crashes. The local guru removed everything which would come out easily (battery, hard drive etc) to create holes in the case, then gave the interior a blast of compressed air to shift the dust. It's been OK ever since (famous last words...).

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »
Ade,

I thought it may be have been heat related too...

I took the pc into the garage, removed all fans and cleaned them up...Removed the cpu and regreased the contact surfaces...

The failures are fairly random...
Yesterday it stopped three times within the space of 5 mins :doh:...In the end I gave up and switched off!

It's definitely worth pulling out and re-seating the memory chips, they're often the cause of intermittent crashes.

A cracked motherboard is another possibility - to diagnose that one, power the machine up with the side/top off, then - with an anti-static non-conductive rod (e.g. a broom handle), very gently push the motherboard in a few places - just enough to make it flex a tiny amount. If the machine freezes up, there's a good chance there's either a dry joint or a crack. Either way, the chances of fixing it are slim - better off getting a replacement.

IME, if the mouse pointer freezes when the rest of the machine does, it's probably not Windows or any software that's at fault - not if you're running Windows 2000 or newer at any rate. Windows ME/98 & beforehand - that doesn't apply. Therefore, the culprit is almost certainly hardware. It may also be electrical supply, e.g. spikes on the line. As a minimum you should get a surge-suppression plugin or multiway adapter; better yet, get a small UPS - even if it only gives 5 mins battery backup, that's enough to shut down a PC - and as far as I know all UPSes condition the mains to remove surges/spikes/under-or-over voltage/etc.

Other things it could be: A failing hard-disk can cause total freeze-ups; a dodgy USB peripheral might do it. If you do remove your heatsink, do make sure you use the proper thermal grease/adhesive when you stick it back on, this is critical with Athlon processors, they will self-destruct if the heatsink isn't attached (Intel chips just slow right down to prevent overheating).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
Im leaning towards using the milling machine or lathe to attempt a permanent repair :dremel:

Might give the board a poke with big stick and see if I can induce the fault...Failing that I may remove all the plug in bits and start afresh...Just hope the hdd isnt going to fail....I best do a backup..

Offline Chazz

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:46 AM »
If the 'lockups' are intermittent, I would reseat your RAM and run a program like 'memtest.exe' or any other free memory testing program, another issue may be your power supply, do you have another 'known good' power supply you can borrow from another system?

HTH,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
Im leaning towards using the milling machine or lathe to attempt a permanent repair :dremel:
Might give the board a poke with big stick and see if I can induce the fault.

Now yer talking ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 02:55:29 AM »
The PC in my workshop was free because it kept locking up or even refusing to start properly for previous owner.  After lots of internet trawling I found that particular series of Dell machines has an issue with connection between processor and its socket.  Problem fixed with half of the cork from a wine bottle jammed between heatsink and the PC case to add some strategic pressure.

This just confirms that poor/intermittent contacts as mentioned by others can have major consequences.

If the PC is of any age, check electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard for bulging on the end of the can - if you see any this is not a good sign.  Whilst it is possible to replace capacitors, I'd either buy a new motherboard, or just junk the PC.

Hope you find the issue, be it software or hardware.

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
IMO, most likely cause is hardware:

1) RAM failure
2) hard drive failure
3) CPU failure (especially given the fact that it is an AMD processor).

It sounds like your machine is way behind the times, best to upgrade to a new one at least to get you into the 21st century. Given the increasing role computers play in most people's everyday living experience, it's worth a couple of hundred bucks to make life easier. Chuck it.
-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.