Author Topic: motion movement for a domed clock  (Read 21402 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
motion movement for a domed clock
« on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »
Anybody have any idea if theses movements just take time to restart after the battery has been removed for a couple of years? Wifey's second favorite clock a cheap half plastic Elgin glass domed one. Clock is working with new battery motion isn't working. Have to get a smaller dome as the only one I had is about 12" high and 7" in dia.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: motion movement for a domed clock
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Anybody have any idea if theses movements just take time to restart after the battery has been removed for a couple of years? Wifey's second favorite clock a cheap half plastic Elgin glass domed one. Clock is working with new battery motion isn't working. Have to get a smaller dome as the only one I had is about 12" high and 7" in dia.

Does the motion require a little kick-start? I've got a battery powered "pendulum" clock which will cheerfully run with or without the pendulum... which has to be started manually.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
PTsideshow, are we talking about an anniversary clock? Is it a quartz movement? If so, then the spinning motion is an added mechanical feature and works totally independent of the time keeping. I just fixed my grandma`s about 3 months ago, it had been keeping time for years but the motion of the pendulum balls had stopped. The main cause is that the suspension wire has broken but it would be obvious as the pendulum won`t feel free to spin. If your lucky, it`ll be a simple case that the fork has become lodged incorrectly in the mechanism.
If you remove the back below the battery, you`ll be able to see what is going on. If your lucky, you`ll see a stamp on the movement and will be able to get a replacement with suspension for not too much money. I got mine off ebay, a direct replacement but I was lucky because they aren`t in production any more.

If we are not talking about dome clocks / anniversary clocks then I`m sorry and ignore me! 

Offline tomrux

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
my old Mum has a similar clock to what you describe.

It has two batteries. one for the movment and a seperate one for the pendulum.

Tom R

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
Yes to the above two separate batteries  it has the 3 balls that are driven by the movement motor from under the base. Has a sealed plastic type drive unit, battery in both units replaced with new good ones.
I guess it is called an anniversary clock too will have to take a closer look at the little box underneath. and see what I can see, the 3 balls and arms slid over a stem that comes out of the base of it.
Will have to check out the answers and see what happens the quartz movement started right up when the new battery was placed. even with a couple of finger kick starts both directions the the base gizmo stops. swaped out new batteries. Makes no difference. :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
After further looking at it I decided to just buy her a new anniversary clock for our up coming anniversary!
Loricron crystal pendulum one of the online stores has em on sale. thanks for the help will play with the old clock at a later date. :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen