Author Topic: New boy on the block  (Read 11253 times)

Offline mickn

New boy on the block
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »
Hi everyone.
              I am Mick. I served my time in the apprentice school at the Ford Motor Co in Dagenham.I am now retired and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. I now have a little workshop with a small lathe and small milling machine.
 These are giving me great pleasure and make me use some of the small skills  I learnt 50 years ago.I am a bit rusty but like riding a bike a lot of it is coming back to me.  Stew (SBWHART) told me about this site and I must say it looks very good! As well as picking up a few ideas maybe  I will be able to contribute myself. I recognise a few names from the Chester forum. I  recently made  power drives for my vertical slide and horizontal table feeds on my milling machine. I did this using two car windscreen wiper motors and the PSU out of my old computer. They both work a treat and I am  pleased with the results.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: New boy on the block
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
Hey Mick!

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

Would love to hear more about your power drives.

:worthless:

This is a great place to be. We are pretty easy going here.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Mjay

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
 Welcome aboard Mick. The guys here are friendly and helpfull, a rarity among all the internet forums.

I would also like to see how you built your power feeds.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
Well Mick,
I think you're gonna become popular real quick. Car winscreen power feeds....bring it on...... :headbang:

Oh, welcome to the forum btw....hope you enjoy it here.. :mmr:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
Welcome Mick,

I'm sure you'll like it here. Diverse ideas are welcome as are questions and answers, so join in the fun of it all.

And  :mmr:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

As you likely figured out lots of good stuff here. :)

(I made an item with a headlight motor from a RX-7.. But I dont think it ventures to the realm of "correct" items for our forum. /nod)
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »
Hi Mick

Pleased you found your way here, I thought you would be impressed, some of the chaps are chomping at the bit to see your power feed convertion, any problems all you have to do is asked, and one of the chaps someware will have a suggestion or the the solution.

What are you using your shop to do ?:- I'm into things steam myselve.

Have
 :wave:
Fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:25 AM »
Hi Mick

Welcome -new here myself and they have proven to be friendly fun sort here. :D

Hoping to make power feed for my x1 mill using something similar or stepper motors - still working on the planning

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:31 AM »
Hello Mick

You seem to have rung everyone's bell with the powerfeeds for your mill, including mine.  My arm sometimes feels as though it's dropping off winding back and forth. Looking forward, along with everyone else to more info and don't forget the piccies.

Anyway, a warm welcome to the forum it sure is a great place to share ideas and to learn from each other.

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
You have GOT to post some pics and onfo on that drive system!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »
Hi Mick....Welcome to the collective  :borg:   You could be just the man I'm looking for!!! 

What could you make with this?  Hint..... It has to power my mills X and Y travel  :dremel:

I get a fair few of these.... Old unit garage door operators  :)

Some of them are not damaged, just replaced for a new version...Most of them have circuit faults with the transmitter/reciever units, so the motors are very good.
I've got about 5 near new ones coming soon  :thumbup:

mmmm.... Just thinking, I could make a radio controlled version??? Well lets get the basic ones working first and then I'll think about modding them  :dremel:  :)

Take your time putting it all down in text and pictures..... I'll be really watching closely  :D

Oh and incase you haven't heard.....  :mmr:    :D 

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
HI Ralph.......mate !!!!  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
I'm sure I can sort some out for the home side Darren  :thumbup:

We will have to see how easy the conversion is first though ehh?..... Mick!     :thumbup:   :)

Ralph.

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Darren, talk about being a creep. :D

Mick &  Ralph, what's it like to be flavour of the week? :lol:

Mick,

A big welcome to you.

This isn't like most forums you come across, it is more like a collection of people with all sorts of skills, that are willing to show their projects, and also use their skills to help other peoples projects along. So just like one big mixing pot, where anyone can have a say or comment in anyone else's projects.
Everyone is equal here, experienced or newbie, we all have something to contribute, or learn.

Just enjoy yourself.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
Darren, talk about being a creep. :D

Bogs

Duck an' dive mate, duck an' dive.... :lol:

Actually, Ralphs gonna need a 24V power supply if he uses those. I may be able to help there with some transformers.
First we need to work out how they can be used. Seeing what Mick has done will be a good start.

The  :borg: will reign supreme  :bow:

Offline mickn

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi all,
                                    Thanks everyone for a nice welcome. When I find my feet  I will try to send a few piccies and also a small video I have made showing my mill and feeds working. Hi Stew yes I found my way here ,thanks for the invite! I mainly like making tools and bits and pieces. Have recently made a couple of carbide tipped facing cutters and dovetailed boring bars. At the moment my latest project is a piston type quick change lathe tool post. Have also made the ball turner. This works pretty good  up to 2 inch dia on ally. I made this in mild steel. First attempt in aluminium was a failure it flexed too much. Have also dabbled in telescope parts eyepiece adaptors etc.
                      Hi Ralph now you are talking serious stuff there. I did think of having a go with wheelchair  and invalid bed motors but the old windscreen wiper motors fulfill the job  nicely. I am surprised at the torque they generate. Here is a nice little link here which explains the  computer PSU wiring and also the windscreen wiper

http://www.scary-terry.com/wipmtr/wipmtr.htm

Mick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
At the moment my latest project is a piston type quick change lathe tool post. ...

Been working on one myself. Just got a good look at one tonight so I have a really good idea of how I want to make it work (thanks dreeves!). I got the post made, but still need to finish it off.

Tell us about yours.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline mickn

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »
Hi all,
             First try at you tube video
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDb_V5Z63k

Mick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 02:49:51 AM »
Video show was great:-  thanks Mick  :thumbup:

When it comes to electronics and wiring things up I'm a bit of a green horn, when I've got my mill and I'm ready to do the mod I'll be asking lots and lots of questions.

:mmr:

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »
That`s great Mick!  :thumbup:

Blummin well done......  :headbang:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »
Nice one Mick  :clap:

I'm liking that slow feed!!!   I'm going to have to dedicate a bit of time to this with one of them there door opener motors I've got  :dremel:

I might try a little different route with the drive, I think I might still want to use the hand wheel. You see mine is the older version of the Chester champion.... Only one manual handle on the right hand end of the bed.... I think some belt drive jiggery pokery is soon to be made  :thumbup:

Very inspiring Mick.... I'll probably start a thread when I get my act together and start making one, you can tell me where I'm going wrong at that point :D

Ralph.

Offline mickn

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
Hi Ralph,
               When I am using the milling table feed I have made a simple coupling with a sprung pin. To disconnect the drive for hand winding control takes 1 second . I pull the pin. Maybe this will convince you because you seemed concerned on having only one handwheel.Here are some piccies showing pin in feed

Mick     PS thanks for showing us all  excellent instructions on posting vids.

Offline mickn

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
Hi Eric,
            I haven't got the hang of replying yet on these forums! I dont know whether I reply on this thread so please bear with me. Yes I have just finished my piston type quick change toolpost. I usually get an idea in my head then start making it. I think I rushed into this one though, it works ok but I think I should have spent a bit more time in the thinking process. I had not figured out out to incorporate the adjusting screw with the main block hold down bolt. So I ended up with two levers, one for operating the cam and one for hold down. Consequently the finished tool clamping part overhangs to much. Oh well back to the drawing board and start the mark 2 version. By the way what does  (thanks dreeves ) mean?

Mick
 ps I have a photo of it if you would like to see what not to do

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
 By the way what does  (thanks dreeves ) mean?

Mick
 ps I have a photo of it if you would like to see what not to do

Hey Mick,

Don't worry, you will get the hang of replying. Soon you will be a master.

To explain the (thanks dreeves)... We have a member here by the name of dreeves. I went by his place last Thursday and got a good look at his QCTP and answered a lot of my questions about it. So I was thanking him in my post.

I ended up going to a model engineering show this weekend and bought a QCTP for my lathe. Deal was too good to pass up.

Eric
Science is fun.