Author Topic: Gold Plating... anyone tried a kit?  (Read 18587 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Gold Plating... anyone tried a kit?
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »
Like everything else, I get obsessed with doing things myself. Based on a comment made by Kvom about gold plating my pin wheel on my clock I went to see a chap who could do it with his plating setup in his kitchen. Being impressed with the price for plating the whole thing but seeing his home setup, the thoughts started creeping in...you know the ones...."I can do that myself and I can do it better" !!!

So only a quick google had me viewing kits and such on tonnes of sites. I found very little info on comments made by people who are actually gold plating. Talking numbers now, in truth the chap quotes me £140 to plate my entire clock, including 9" x 12" backplate which I thought was amazing...I was expecting a figure more than £340+!!   A half decent looking kit starts at £200 and a chap is selling one near where I live, second hand but seemingly unused for £200 with extra solutions (which are quite pricey). The chap who I went to see was having excellent results and yet the photos of the kits I have seen look very similar to the sort of thing he was using!

Now before I dive in head first as I often do, has anyone by any chance got any experience with a gold plating kit?

I believe the kit sold second hand will allow gold, silver, brass and nickle plating!

Any opinions would be welcome...

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Gold Plating... anyone tried a kit?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »
Just had an email from the chap who is selling the kit...it is unused and cost £400 with receipts...this one:

http://www.goldsolutions.eu/shop/article_2/GS500-Gold-plating-kit-NOW-WITH-4-HOUR-TRAINING-COURSE.html?shop_param=cid%3D32%26aid%3D2%26

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Chris,

Check below you don't need to spend £400.

http://www.goldn.co.uk/online_shop.htm

Offline bry1975

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
Chris,

If you need the high wear parts Gold Ti nitrided giz us a PM my chap can coat parts no problems and at a good price!

Gold Tin was developed as a cheap and durable replacement to gold plating.

Borrowed TiN gold sample image below.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Hello Guys

Well progress has been made! I`ve managed to get hold of the chemicals required and based on what I`ve seen, put together my brush and tank plating kit. I purchased some chemicals which arrived today including the gold solution (which was v v Expensive £50 for only 100ml!!) but I have had great success!!!

I managed to plate the end of a piece of brass bar stock and then I plated a stainless steel watch back that I had lying around. It looks great and I`m well chuffed!

So I`ll do some of my clock for sure and hopefully might pick up some bits and pieces of others wanting plating work done to recoup some money on the setup. So if anyone wants anything plating then give me a shout - good prices guaranteed  :lol:  :-D

Chris

Offline bry1975

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Are you using a  cobalt hardened gold solution etc?

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
oooooo can not Waite to see the result

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
hi Bob - in fact Chris has achieved some great results - the photos were discretely included in his clock thread

Dave

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
Chris,
Sorry to be coming late to the party, but you may be more satisfied in the long term if you first nickel plate your parts - even a microscopic layer is all that is necessary.  When plating gold over brass, the gold will continue to migrate into the brass, eventually allowing the brass surface to be re-exposed.  It won't immediately be apparent to the eye, but the exposed brass will eventually corrode or patina. 

The layer of nickel prevents the gold migration.

I have experience with this effect, having plated a copper buss bar and having it begin to revert within a couple of months.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
Hi WestonBye
I believe this is the case after reading the yahoo plating groups!!  :doh:

I still need to make the new weight pulleys so before "the final final" assembly, I may as well complete this plating!!

Thanks for bringing this up. Such a pitty I didn`t find this out before plating!
Chris

Offline bry1975

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »
Are very interesting Weston BYE,

Thanks for informing us.

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
I looked at the kits available from Caswell but I noted that the solution has a 4 month shelf life. So, I'd be careful with a previously owned kit.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
I`m not too sure how that worked David. I`ve never heard of gold nitrate having a shelf life...never mind such a short one which I guess they use?? Mine must be several years old and is great, infact, my grandma gave me a 24k earing and I`ve been using that to replace the gold in solution by connecting it to the anode.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
Chris another cheap source of gold is gold leaf, you can also get others like copper etc
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
Has anyone tried TEXAS PLATERS SUPPLY?  I know they are still in business but you would have to do the GOOGLE aproach.  6v battery and the kit had copper, nichol, gold and silver.  Tried plating gun parts and it worked really well but he finish was so very thin even with numerous applications.  For clock parts should work like a dream as no dummy is always handling the parts as in a gun trigger or hammer.
Russ