Author Topic: This thing really SUCKS!!!  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Gadget

This thing really SUCKS!!!
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
I threw this together over the last couple of days. No plans, I just saw others on Youtube and made one that I though should work. I cleaned the filter and tank on my shop vac and hooked this up to it. I spent the day cleaning the garage and especially all the sawdust accumulated in my radial saw stand. After all the cleaning I looked at the vacuum tank, completely empty. No dust, nothing. The cyclone thing worked perfectly, all the dust and debris was in the 5 gallon pail.
I welded some of the aluminum parts with my Longevity 200PI but the welds are not visible from the outside. I used alumalloy to "weld" the sheet aluminum. All I need to do now is make a cart that will hold the vacuum and the cyclone separator.

Dan

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: This thing really SUCKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
Hmmm. That could come in handy here!

Will have to do some investigation. That's pretty cool...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »
Really cool! :thumbup:

I assume the tube on the side is hooked up to the vacuum?

"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline jiihoo

• Finland - Northern Europe
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »
Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclonic_separation is a good explanation of cyclonic separation. The vacuum should hook on the top and the suction hose on the side. See the top right picture; the dust particles entering from the side start swirling round and eventually land at the bottom.

I use an ash-vac can in front of my (non-industrial) vacuum cleaner https://shop.euroheat.co.uk/ashs.php?ftype=product_ash_option&tech=37&style=Ash%20Vacuums&csss=Harmony&subs=AV. That is meant for vacuuming the cold ashes from your fireplace, but seems to work as well for vacuuming swarf in the shop. It is not as high-tech as Gadget's DIY version but works for me.

(Apologies for the "commercial" link, but that was the best I could find fast...) Mine is another brand and cost about 20-30 eur. The vacuum hose connects to the top just like in the ash-vac picture but then makes a 90 degree bend to provide the cyclonic action. This is not shown on the ash-vac picture I linked to.

Jari

Offline Gadget

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »
The tube on the top is hooked to the vacuum, the tube on the side is the pickup side. I should have shown the two units together I guess.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
Here's a link to a very complete cyclone system. It has plans that can be built from vacuum cleaner up to three metre high plus workshop models.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Regards, Matthew

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
Here's a link to a very complete cyclone system. It has plans that can be built from vacuum cleaner up to three metre high plus workshop models.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Good grief, now there's a site that suffers from verbal diarrhoea... although I have promised myself I must build one of those.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Bill Pentz suffers from a serious lung condition, he put together the site to try to help people not have his lung problems! I agree, it is "dense" but there are a lot of useful things in it, the automatically scaleable metric/imperial plans, the power calculations for motors etc. I found it hard to read, and hard  to to find things that I knew were in there!

Regards, Matthew