Author Topic: New DRO's  (Read 36961 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
New DRO's
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
See these ?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Measurement/Digital-Readouts-with-Dedicated-Remote-Display

Reads in metric, imperial, fractions and geordie.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline bp

Re: New DRO's
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
"Reads in metric, imperial, fractions and geordie."

Apart from having no equivalents (my wife is a Geordie) so what is a "Geordie"

cheers
bp
ps the DROs look good don't they

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
I actually picked up a set a few weeks ago, but haven't installed them yet.  They seem nice enough.  We shall see.  :dremel:

Cheers

Jeff

Offline dwentz

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
I have installed these on my 12x40 Lathe, I ordered mine from Grizzly. I am happy with them, not as good as the DRO I installed on my mill, but were less than $100.00 for the pair. They only read to .001 The 34 inch I installed on the lathe is very repeatable. Can not tell you how accurate it is as I do not have anything to measure down to a .001 that long. The small one I installed agrees with the dial indicator.

The ones that I received are manufactured by i-Gaging. 

Dale

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »
I bought three from Grizzly my self and am in the process of installing them on my X2 mill.  I have the X and Y working and should be done with the Z axis by tomorrow.  I will post pictures when I'm done.  The most important part is making covers for them so swarf doesn't get on them. 

I'm going to install a pair on my 9X20 lathe next!

Dale P.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
Is that just a USB connector used incorrectly, or is it actually a USB device?  Maybe some other potential applications there if it is?

-Sparky

Offline -steves-

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »
I have to admit to liking these, far easier than anything I had in mind to bodge up to work. I think come the new year, a few of these could be coming my way.

As for the USB option, my guess was also an incorrect use of a USB connector rather than anything useful, but in the back of my mind, I was kinda hoping they might be able to plug into a mutli display device or something of the like?
very new to all this....

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »

As for the USB option, my guess was also an incorrect use of a USB connector rather than anything useful, but in the back of my mind, I was kinda hoping they might be able to plug into a mutli display device or something of the like?
[/quote]

As far as I am aware, so far, it is an incorrect use of a mini-USB, more for convenience. In the U.K., I beleive that Lester Cane has or is working on connecting the bars to the Shumatech remote units. He originally put me on to these bars.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
Commercial question for the guys in the U.S.:

I saw this link for these bars at Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-Remote-Digital-Readout-Inch-Metric-Fraction/T23013

It shows price at **USD45.00. Then it says:
** Final prices will include state sales tax for items shipped to WA, MO, or PA. Shipping charges for items not shipped via truck freight will be added according to our shipping rates.

So, should I presume that the price of US$45.00 excludes tax?, and if shipped toWA, MO, or PA, Grizzly will add tax to this price?
In the U.K., we have to state prices including 20% VAT - U.K. tax. I often have to point this out to our U.K. customer, so any calrification from you guys will be appreciated.

Grizzly states: Shipping charges for items not shipped via truck freight will be added according to our shipping rates.
So does this mean that if you the customer accepts shipping by truck freight, there will be no shipping charge?

Finally, has anyone in the U.S. purchased this 24" bar. If so, does their bar read 24", or is the total bar length 24"?. I had a big arguement with the original manufacturer over this. They sent us bars which are 24" in length-approx., but they read 20". Needless to say, I was not happy, as rest of the bars - 6", 8", 12" read the lengths stated correctly. At the end, they accepted that they had made a mistake.

Thanks, Ketan.
Ketan @ ARC

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
See these ?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Measurement/Digital-Readouts-with-Dedicated-Remote-Display

Reads in metric, imperial, fractions and geordie.

John S.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MMMMM looks a nice DRO John ,,,,,,,,,,,if it  can it be re-calibrated to Chains  :coffee:

Rob  :)

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »
My question is whether the scales can be used on Shumatech units, the ones which Ketan used to supply with the little blackboxes and the  cheap 'Chinese' scales from 'supermarkets'

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
My question is whether the scales can be used on Shumatech units, the ones which Ketan used to supply with the little blackboxes and the  cheap 'Chinese' scales from 'supermarkets'

I believe that Lester Cane will have the answer...soon....hopefully.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline lsces

• Keeper of information at MEDW
    • Model Engineers Digital Workshop
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »

I'm just waiting for one from Ketan to play with to check, but the DRO550 has a mod to handle the 21bit protocol that the igaging units produce and these have been working fine. Using them with the DRO350 will need a dongle of some sort, and it may be worth doing a three channel one rather than needing three single channel ones.

Just to complete the picture ...
The scale is using a MiniUSB connector but only as an alternative to the crude one fitted to the earlier scales. The battery is fitted to the display module and provides 3V down the cable to the read head, along with a clock signal, and this reads the 21 bit packet from the read head. They will certainly blow if plugged into a USB port, so would need a converter of some sort to use direct with a computer.
Lester Caine
http://medw.co.uk

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
Lester,

Mine is a 350 which you made up- hence my initial comments. I have no doubt that others will have similar concerns.

Regards

F O'M

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
the 21bit protocol that the igaging units produce

Hi Lester,

Is the protocol available anywhere? I'd just like to keep my own DRO effort up to date :)

Bill
Bill

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
Ketan I would not worry too much about the tax, you are far cheaper than the only other UK supplier that I knew of :D I've linked to ARC on a few of the woodworking forums, there may be some call for teh longer scale as they like fitting them to tablesaw fences.

http://intelligentworkshoptools.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=430

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
Ketan I would not worry too much about the tax, you are far cheaper than the only other UK supplier that I knew of :D I've linked to ARC on a few of the woodworking forums, there may be some call for teh longer scale as they like fitting them to tablesaw fences.

http://intelligentworkshoptools.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=430

Thanks for that Jasonb. I presume you mean the 35"one, and I guess it reads 35". At first I wasn't sure what it was used for. I will probably look at adding the 24" and 32 or 35" to the range in about four/five months time.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline Pete.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
Those are super-cheap. I think I'll buy a set for my lathe. Might not be as good as the DRO I got for the mill but it'll be a damn site easier to fit.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Tried to convince myself i wanted one but could come up with a use for one, yes I know sad bastard aren't I ?
[Don't answer that ]

Anyway bought one of these instead.

Got a broken motor shaft in today with a taper on it for a fan to mount, extract new toy from stocking and measure taper - 6 degrees, set top slide and make new shaft.

Simples.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
Grizzly will only charge sales tax if you have the item shipped to the same state where they have a store or warehouse located other wise its tax exempt.  So you shouldn't have any sales tax when shipped over seas.  If you want a price quote with shipping, just add the items you want to the cart along with your shipping info and the web site will let you know the total.

Dale P.

Offline black85vette

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
I have had these X, Y and Z scales on my X2 for well over a year and love them.  The one thing I did learn is that you need to keep swarf away from the pickup sensor.    I ended up making some clear plastic shields that took care of it.  These scales were originally designed for the woodworking hobby, so they are OK with wood dust.  The metal swarf gets inside and scratches the aluminum rail.  That makes the readout erratic.

I got one of the early long scales and needed to cut it down.  The scale cut just fine on a band saw and does not affect the function of the DRO.   If you need a specific length just order longer than you need.

It has been awhile but as I recall (and that is getting harder to do) the display and sensor are a matched set and cannot be used with other systems.   I put an O-scope on the signal and it appeared to be BCD format and gives relative rather than absolute measurements based on when it was zeroed.   It did not appear to be in a serial (RS232) data stream.   Hope I remember that correctly.  That was just an observation on a cheap scope since I do not have a digital or storage scope at home.

I bought mine through Eagle America.   They have them on sale right now.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v424-0160/measuring_and_layout

Offline lsces

• Keeper of information at MEDW
    • Model Engineers Digital Workshop
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 03:30:01 AM »
Is the protocol available anywhere? I'd just like to keep my own DRO effort up to date

http://www.shumatech.com/web/21bit_protocol?page=0,1
( I am not getting email notification of posts here even though it's selected ... I don't waste time scanning on-line forums ... if it does not work with an email interface I don't use it! )
Lester Caine
http://medw.co.uk

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 04:14:42 AM »
Grizzly will only charge sales tax if you have the item shipped to the same state where they have a store or warehouse located other wise its tax exempt.  So you shouldn't have any sales tax when shipped over seas.  If you want a price quote with shipping, just add the items you want to the cart along with your shipping info and the web site will let you know the total.

Dale P.

Thanks for the clarification.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Is the protocol available anywhere? I'd just like to keep my own DRO effort up to date

http://www.shumatech.com/web/21bit_protocol?page=0,1
( I am not getting email notification of posts here even though it's selected ... I don't waste time scanning on-line forums ... if it does not work with an email interface I don't use it! )

Thanks  :beer:
Bill

Offline dwentz

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
I posted from work the other day, and did not have the photos uploaded to my web site. Here are some photos of these installed on my large lathe.

I have not had a problem with metal chips getting into them, but I guess I could glue some felt wipers to them, that might not be a bad idea!

Dale