Author Topic: Oxy Acetylene Supply in UK  (Read 15134 times)

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
Oxy Acetylene Supply in UK
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
Guys, I have been given a set of Oxy Acetylene torches and associated paraphernalia, does anybody know of a good supplier of Oxy Acetylene bottle rental in the UK at reasonable prices please.
Ta much JD  :thumbup:
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline Pete.

Re: Oxy Acetylene Supply in UK
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Acetylene seems to be in very short supply recently. My company had to get a pair of half-size bottles because BOC couldn't do a full size one.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:48:01 AM »
Air Products?

How about checking your Yellow pages for industrial gases.........

(Errmmm not to be a party pooper but I thought there was some legislation about keeping bottles at domestic premises? Like you cant...)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »
Pretty sure there's no such regulation. There are many legitimate reasons for having a bottle of acetylene on domestic property.

Offline -steves-

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »
To the best of my knowledge and little bit of reseaerch, there are very few laws regarding the storage and use of welding gases, it's generally considered as being business use only and thereby controlled by HSE / fire regulations.

The only issue may be one of standard house insurance from the sounds of things, some are ok with it, whereas others are not. Depends who knows I guess ....
very new to all this....

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »
 :doh: Thanks guys, probably the reason I was given this kit for free, I will have to check my house insurance etc,etc. Will get back to this later. 
Back to propane I suppose. Ta JD 

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
Pretty sure there's no such regulation. There are many legitimate reasons for having a bottle of acetylene on domestic property.

Maybe I was  mis-informed.........?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
Adams gas will be doing acetylene in the new year so I was told, they have a few dealers in the south east or can courier it further. There is no rental just a deposit on the first bottle after that its just refill cost. You could always go with oxy/propane, they sell the torches.

http://adamsgas.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

J

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »
  :update: Thanks for the input, I have been on HSE web site with no results regards private use.
I have contacted BOC, below is their reply,
 "Providing you comply with the relevant health and safety legislation there is no issue with you storing and using these gases at a private property"
 For more information on health and safety please visit our website:

http://www.boconline.co.uk/health/gas_safety/cylinder_safety/storing_cylinders.asp

With the delivery of the cylinders, as long as the access roads are wide enough and there are no weight restrictions to the delivery point this will not be a problem.
Thanks guys JD.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
If I recall correctly the HSE only has jurisdiction over "The Work Place" and domestic property is of no concern to them.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline dickda1

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Just thought I would ask.  Over in the States, a date is stamped on the side of the cast cylinder to indicate the last time it was hydrostatically tested.  It is supposed to happen here every 7 years and costs extra if an out of date cylinder is turned in.  How often for you?

I have turned in cylinders that were cast before the First World War.

-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline tonybraz

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »

I have had Oxy Acetylene at home for building and repair of my race car. I have a contract with BOC and pick my bottles up from a local supplier when needed. I have informed my insurance company and their reply was as long it was not for business use I was ok. I hope this may be of help.

Tony

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Anzaniste, Para 1 of BOC reply would seems HSE does have jurisdiction over private matters, if you have a fire with the fire brigade having to attend  if it is deemed the incident is due to neglect of HSE regulations I read it as you are responsible.
Acetylene bottles are lethal in a fire situation, a large area has to be evacuated and the bottles have to be cooled for a minimum of 24 hours before anybody can go near them or move them, that should keep you on good terms with the neighbors.
Dick, Not sure on that one, worth looking at, a bottle with a test date from before WW1, I would give that a wide berth.
Tony, does your insurance company insist you stick to HSE guide lines?, I have to contact my insurance company as yet (wish me luck).
Thanks for all your input JD   

Offline wallbratz

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
 I get the impression that BOC are trying to price casual users of oxy-acetelyne out of the Market. Getting hold of gifted  gear may be easy, but they have very tight controls over refill. I enquired about refilling some flasks given to me by a friend, they wanted nothing to do with it. Only flasks supplied by them would be considered and to get their gear required an fairly expensive hire contract. The porta-pak product would be nice but at £400 a year.......?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Try http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9334&page=5 It seems that HSS hire shops are going into gas, and also air liquide  http://www.albeegascylinders.com/.BOC prices are prohibitive, and AP aren't far behind, check out Energas as well, but it is the rental charges that is the killer, I have just kicked in my large Argoshield 5 bottle back to energas as I was spending far more on rental than on gas. I now have a small argoshield 5 bottle, non rental from a local supplier who delivers! and no rental charge (£65 bottle purchase, then just cost of gas) rental on one argoshield 5 bottle was costing over £130 per annum.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline tonybraz

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
  The insurance company were only interested if I used for business purposes. I have Oxygen size X and Acetylene size M and the rent for 2011  is £137. I know others in the class who also have sets at home and do not have problems getting gas.

Tony

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
 :nrocks: Thanks again guys,
Dick, I have contacted BOC this side of the pond and their is no charge for returning out of date bottles, they replace like for like with a freshly tested bottle. :thumbup:
I can understand a company not filling bottles with an unknown previous history, whether in date or not.
Thanks Tony sounds like I should have no problems.
Regards price, we have to pay these premiums like anybody else, if you are passionate about your hobby or past time pursuit you will find the money and pay up.
JD