Author Topic: Home Brew Toolpost Grinder  (Read 10488 times)

Offline 1hand

Home Brew Toolpost Grinder
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Here is the Donor!

More to come next year.
Matt

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
Re: Home Brew Toolpost Grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:25 AM »
Hi There

I have one of those beasties surplus and i shall be following your project closely with a view of making one myself .

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
Do they have smaller motors? Ineed one for my Sherline. (said with tounge in check  :lol:)

But it will be interesting to see. I have a samll  120V DC motor I could use. Will be following this one for sure.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Are you going to use the grinder as it is or figure some way of pre-loading the bearings? I should think that using angular contact bearings and a bit of pre-load would make for a much better result.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
Some years ago, I bought a wood router( I think that the USA is a planer) but it was a Bosch POF 50. When I got it out of the box, I found the notes to suggest that it had started life as a tool post grinder. And there, I returned it to its former purpose with a 43mm collar on the lathe saddle.
However, the trick is also the 43mm collar because it accepts quite a number of battery and mains electric drills.
Clearly, the centre should line up with the lathe centre height.

What one has to remember is that Double ended grinders are usually fitted with poor bearings for this tool post duty and limited to 2880rpm,  therefore this is far too slow for a tool post grinder.

Don't get me wrong about DE grinders, I have one which ended up driving a basic tool and cutter grinder which was a modified three way vice.

Offline 1hand

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
Some years ago, I bought a wood router( I think that the USA is a planer) but it was a Bosch POF 50. When I got it out of the box, I found the notes to suggest that it had started life as a tool post grinder. And there, I returned it to its former purpose with a 43mm collar on the lathe saddle.
However, the trick is also the 43mm collar because it accepts quite a number of battery and mains electric drills.
Clearly, the centre should line up with the lathe centre height.

What one has to remember is that Double ended grinders are usually fitted with poor bearings for this tool post duty and limited to 2880rpm,  therefore this is far too slow for a tool post grinder.

Don't get me wrong about DE grinders, I have one which ended up driving a basic tool and cutter grinder which was a modified three way vice.

I have thought about building a spindle and try driving it with the bench grinder motor, that the stress/pressure is on the spindle not the grinder shaft. That way if more speed is needed a pulley change could fix that, or a swap of a variable speed router motor could work. Its just a little 9x19 lathe, only looking to grind some firing pins for now on my gat project. I figured it would be better than a small air pencil grinder.

Matt

Offline 1hand

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
I just got back from my parents for Chirstmas. My dad gave me my grandpa's old valve grinder thats been laying around there for the last 40+yrs. BTW grandpa turned 86 today. Looks like it will be a better fit for a tool post grinder than my first idea.

Not very big, but a heavy little beast.
Matt
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:56:10 AM by 1hand »

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
  :offtopic: That old Souix sure brings back memories. Back in the day of leaded gasoline (petrol) it was not uncommon to need a valve job after 30 to 40k miles. (Metallurgy has also improved) I have spent many hours operating one of those machines.  :offtopic:

Joe

Offline Pete.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »
Oh boy if that landed in my lap it would be converted to a drillpoint/lathe tool sharpener.

Offline MadNick

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:05:52 AM »
Theres life in the old dog yet - that valve grinder will make a better basis for your project, I think.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:02:32 AM »
Many years ago, I wanted one. it was too expensive then -- so I made a Quorn.

Actually there is not a lot of difference between it and a Brooks or an Alexander/Deckel- which will do almost all the things which a Quorn will do. It just needs thinking about.
After all, the famous Quorn was developed from a Deckel.