Author Topic: Mill vice backstop  (Read 37945 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Mill vice backstop
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 05:08:29 AM »
So now back to it, part three of this enthralling post (yawn).

Getting really exciting now, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not really appropriate comments, I always find your posts interesting no matter how simple the subject  :ddb:

This handle took about 40 minutes to profile, from start to finish. It isn't a perfect match, but close enough for me.

It would be good enough for me too, very nice work there..... :thumbup: :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 05:09:46 AM »

My vice was already threaded on both sides and tonight I finally found a bolt to fit. Alas it was too short, but it did allow me to find out what the thread in the vice was.
It turned out to be 3/16 something or other thread. That's just a Nats whotsit smaller than 5mm at 4.762mm. Even better the thread form was the same pitch as far as I could tell. A 5mm bolt wouldn't go in so I simply tapped the threads with a 5mm tap.

2BA thread

JS.

Now that shows the knowledge of an experienced man..... :clap:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:59:52 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:11 AM »
Not really appropriate comments, I always find your posts interesting no matter how simple the subject

Thank you very much Darren, that has just woken me up.

To me, it was starting to look like a very mundane post, but your reply has shown me that I shouldn't assume that no-one is following the topic, just because there have been so few comments or questions.

I will try not to think that way in the future.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »
You need to keep in mind that some of us don't have much of a clue about machining in general.  :doh:

I had a lathe (ML7) 20yrs ago and kept it for 10yrs. I skipped having a workshop for about 8yrs and now getting back into it again.
But, in those 10yrs of owning a lathe I never mastered it very well, in the end I sold it.
The biggest problem I faced was not knowing anyone to turn to for advice, no net then either.

Now the net has really opened up a new aspect to the whole show. People like yourself, and many others on here I might add, have really opened the doors to the rest of us.

Without you lot I would probably have sold my lathe again at some point, certainly my old miller and not bothered again.
This new mill has certainly opened my eyes as it machines sweet as a nut. If it wasn't for people like yourself I would not have bought it, period..!!

I'm eternally grateful, and please keep those little jobs coming. There is much more information in there for us newbies that you probably realise.

:thumbup:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »

To me, it was starting to look like a very mundane post, but your reply has shown me that I shouldn't assume that no-one is following the topic, just because there have been so few comments or questions.

I will try not to think that way in the future.

John

John,

As far as I'm concerned I don't need to ask questions since you explain it in such laymans terms that it comes through clear to me. If I don't understand then I'll ask. So, no boring thread here either.

I'm just waiting for you to finish this little project before I make comment on your fine workmanship. I'm just amazed at the detail you go into when making something so simple as a vice stop. My problem is I don't take the time or care you do to do something like that. Guess I still lack patience.

Also it's got me thinking about the vice stop that came with my Bridgeport. When I get the time I'd like to add to this thread about the way it attaches to the vice if I may.

So take a coffee and fag break. Then get back into the shop and finish this project so we can comment on it.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Bernd,

It was actually finished about three hours ago. All the piccies are done, but I haven't had my nap yet.
So until that is out of the way, I can't even consider starting the write up. Maybe later this evening.

Bogs

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
You need to keep in mind that some of us don't have much of a clue about machining in general.  :doh:

I had a lathe (ML7) 20yrs ago and kept it for 10yrs. I skipped having a workshop for about 8yrs and now getting back into it again.
But, in those 10yrs of owning a lathe I never mastered it very well, in the end I sold it.
The biggest problem I faced was not knowing anyone to turn to for advice, no net then either.

Now the net has really opened up a new aspect to the whole show. People like yourself, and many others on here I might add, have really opened the doors to the rest of us.

Without you lot I would probably have sold my lathe again at some point, certainly my old miller and not bothered again.
This new mill has certainly opened my eyes as it machines sweet as a nut. If it wasn't for people like yourself I would not have bought it, period..!!

I'm eternally grateful, and please keep those little jobs coming. There is much more information in there for us newbies that you probably realise.

:thumbup:

Darren speaks for a lot of people I am sure John.

Ron

bogstandard

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »
Darren,

You need to keep in mind that some of us don't have much of a clue about machining in general.

Neither do I. I make it up as I go along.
But if you lot want to carry on believing me!! :lol:

After a bit of beauty sleep (and boy, do I need it), I am showing you what I got up to today.

I tightened the newly made screw into the mounting, so it was in it's normal operating position when tightened up.
Because it is always easier to tighten something up when pushing down on it, I marked up the position for the profiled handle, and also made sure it wasn't sticking straight out, but angled down a bit, explanation later.

The hole was drilled and tapped for the profile, and the position was checked. All OK.

The screw bit was given a bit of hand profiling and cleaning up.

After screwing the two bits together with a bit of loctite on the joint, the main bits are done.

Remember me saying about asking neighbours not to throw anything away. Well my next door neighbour thinks he is a bit of a carpenter (a nail it and glue it man really), was given an old drop side baby's cot to recycle, he asked me if I wanted the metal rods off it. I took them with thanks.
Once it has had the crap plating emeried off, it will be ideal for what I am doing.

Cleaned up and faced off, a perfect fit in the hole.

All three rods had a 5mm flat machined on their sides. This is for the holding screw to press against, and if any damage is caused on the rod by the screw, it will still slide freely in the hole.

The two shorter rods were drilled and had a length of smaller rod loctited into the ends of them. Then all three were polished on the tip faces. Not only should the tips be square and flat, but there must be no sharp edges either. The last thing you want is to put a nearly finished soft surfaced part against the stop, and end up with a mark on the surface of the job.
So now I have three different sized stops, 8mm, 5mm & 3mm. This range should be fine for almost every job that needs a back stop.

Now to the locking screw.
A bit of rough bar was turned down to just smaller than the thickness of the main holder. A 6mm thread was put on the end of the bar so that it was just a bit short of the length of the hole it was going into. On the end of the thread, a 3mm plain hole was drilled about 10mm deep.

A 3mm spigot was turned on the end of a bit of 5mm diameter phos bronze, it could have just as easily been brass. It was then parted off about 7mm long (not critical as it is turned to length later.)

The bronze slug was loctited into the end of the screw.

As you can see, the screw with the tip on is now way too long.
BTW, because the tip is 5mm diameter, it will easily go thru a 6mm tapped hole, as it is smaller than the root diameter of the 6mm thread.

The tip was gradually reduced in length until, with the bar well gripped, there was about 0.5mm gap under the screw head.

A small profiled handle was made for the screw, and the screw itself was given a bit of shaping. The handle was positioned in the screw so that when it was tight, it ran down the main clamp bar, stopping it from being a nuisance by sticking out and getting in the way.
So now, all bits are finished, time to see if it will do the job.

With one of the small bars in, you can see, even if it is fully adjusted back, it would still keep anything in the jaws away from the drop edge of the jaw bottom.

The large bar will be able to cope with almost anything along the whole jaw length.
All pins can operate from the jaw base to about 25mm above the jaw top, and just over 50mm jaw opening.
If these won't cope, I don't know what will.

It all stows behind the vice when not in use. The vice can be operated as though it wasn't there.

Now back to the clamp screw angle. With it in the stowed (and used) position, the full depth of the vice can still be used.

That's it, job done.

Now for the sermon.

Why has the old fart taken this much trouble over a backstop?

Anyone that knows me, knows that I won't make any sort of gizmo's or tooling without it having a good useful life. I use a backstop all the time, and because my old one is now difficult to use in the setup I now have, the new has taken over from the old.

The next bit is about the way I work.
If I was making something for a one off job, it most probably wouldn't even get the rust removed. On this one, it is now a part of my workshop, and as such is made to the best of my abilities. If that means spending a couple of days shaping up handles to make it match, then so be it. As long as it sees me out, and most probably a few of the next owners as well, I am happy.

For sale, one old, overused, crappy old mill backstop. Offers invited.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 06:13:42 PM »
Great work john. I've been intending to eventually build one, but this one is the first design I've seen that intrigued me enough to steal....(grin).  It's moved the project up the old to do list several slots.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Steve.

Life for me without a backstop isn't worth living.

Mind you, with my other hat on, I make a lot of the same thing. So the effort to make it will be repaid with the first job. Maybe a bit of a large project if you hardly ever use one.

I forgot to add, the total cost. Apart from about 12mm (1/2") of 5mm bronze, everything came from my recycle box. No new material (except for the PB) was hurt during the making of this stop.

Bernd,

Notice the 'patina' on my tapping stand, it looks like rust, but definitely isn't. It is most probably some sort of chemical reaction between oils etc. Similar to chemi-black, only brown. Patent applied for.

Bogs

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:01:59 PM by bogstandard »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
John, I guessed you were up to something special, that's why my main part is the same as yours  :ddb:

For now mine will do what I need, later I will also "steal" your design.
That's a blooming good looking backstop make no mistake  :clap:

bogstandard

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
Thanks Darren,

It does look a bit different from the time you made yours.

I do have a very quickie to make stop floating about in my head, that is only two parts (and one of them is the holding bolt).

If anyone is interested in that, I will knock one up and do a quickie sketch. It is nowhere near as versatile, but for the odd time you need one, it just might be the right thing.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51:20 AM »
As always an outstanding job Bogs. I'd say if you were to take all those little projects and put them on a CD you could make a bit of spending money for the shop. But I'm sure that would be a hassel, much better to spend time in the shop making "widgets".

So compliments on a job well done on a small project. No questions on how you did it.

Your an inspiration to me to learn a bit more patience on making small usable tooling. Keep up the great work.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »
Hear is my quick and nast version , it works for me , I looked at all the other on hear and thought Ill never get my vice lined up, so came up with this so if I made a horlicks it can be sorted.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
That's so simple it's rather neat.... :clap:

bogstandard

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
Nice one Peter.

I think everyone has in their minds eye what their own solution to a problem is.

A good example of what will do for you.

John

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:27 AM »
John I would realy like to be able to make one like yours but I know my limitations, I wanted to make something that if I C*ck£d up I could just replace a jaw, as I only do light stuff and only try to work in brass and ally it will do for now , it's better than what I had been using ( a long bolt replacing the one holding the jaw on with and a square of metal behind it)
dog rough, if fact it barked   :scratch:

I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

bogstandard

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »
Peter,

I fully understand your problems, remember we have met.

I don't expect anyone to follow my escapades to the letter, and I know that a lot of members can only aspire to what I get up to. That is all my experience showing thru.

I don't show my bit's 'n bobs as a boasting excercise, but as a guide, in the hope people will follow and maybe come up with a method to achieve their own results, within their own capabilities, and in your case, you have succeeded in doing it.

Hence my quote.

A good example of what will do for you.

John

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »
Very very very nice....

Very nice detail.. even the mundane LOL.

THe reasoning as to why the angles of things all coming into consideration.

Yes you need a handle.. but where do you put it.. and why?

Once again THANK YOU John.. and Guys for the post, and other ideas along the way.
SPiN Racing

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
 :update:

Here is a bump to this thread, I am thinking some of the newer members we have may not have seen this post. But I think its well worth a perusal.

I wanted to post this as I had started making one of these back in 2009.. and as I had finished the Mill Stop, my father passed away. And he had been coming by, and checking on it with interest as I was finishing it, even during his last week he was asking questions about it, and offering valid advice on the procedures for its use, and build.

I have been using it since then, but decided on the anniversary of his passing to finish it up aka polish it.

Once again.. many thanks to John for this simple design. As you can see I followed your build essentially to the letter. So I will not post a slew of pics of the build.
I did put a small brass cup on it, thats not visible in the pic.

Materials... 316LVM Surgical Stainless Steel for the shiny bits (Its what I have a lot of), Brass I think... the shiny goldish bits, A formerly round bar of REALLY HARD axle steel of some sort. Ate 4 really strong milling bits before I bought a nice carbide insert titanium coated 3/4 inch end mill (The part with the not so pretty finish).

Scott

On to the pics!!
 :worthless:

SPiN Racing

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 01:48:04 AM »
Very nice indeed Scott.

An oldie but goodie.

Mine is still working as good as the day it was made, and it is used all the time, and it looks like yours will do the same.

Well done

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
An oldie but goodie.
John

Just like me!

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »
John,
Thanks for this write up! I am in the process of making one. I still have to make the steel bars and small handle.
I had some hex stock on hand that I used for parts 1 and 3.
Part 2 I chain drilled and tried cutting between them with my Atlas. It did not like having the table lifted under the cutter, but it did cut through. I then set up my lathe milling adapter and cut some more. Since it was not a rigid setup, I had to finish the slot with some filing. Then I made part 3 to fit the slot. :doh:
I hope to finish it today.
Fred

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »
It is almost finished. I still want to polish the parts, but it is usable.
I cut an 1/8" slot in the stop rod instead of a flat. The locking  piece rides in the slot.
It is also a little smaller than Johns. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures.
Sorry for the photos, but it was my camera phone.
Thanks again,
Fred

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
Bogs, and all other authors on this site.

Please accept my thanks for your advice and guidance through all your posts.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you, a merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to you all.

Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute