Author Topic: Fancy R/C Airplane Flying.  (Read 6717 times)

Offline 75Plus

Fancy R/C Airplane Flying.
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
If you like to watch model planes this is a must view. I did not know a plane, model or full sized, could do several of these maneuvers.  Take a look.

=tzowQtqOM_I

Joe

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Fancy R/C Airplane Flying.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Wow, he is not afraid of crashing  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
Quite amazing  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
That boy sure has skills!  :jaw:

How do you control height along the ground while barrel rolling!?!?!?   :headbang: 

Notice how far the tail fins (can't spell elevators  :) ) come up and down?   Stunt plane definitely built for the job  :thumbup:

Nice vid.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
That guy sure knows what he is doing with all the controls!!!
Wonder how many channels he is using?

Some pretty awesome stunt work indeed!!

Andrew

Offline -steves-

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:21:58 AM »
This flying is called 3D flying and is the current craze amongst many RC pilots. I used to "try" and fly like this, but I am too old for the reaction times needed and am in the process of selling the last of my RC plane gear. Still got a nice 9 channel TX if anyone is interested, lol. Jokes aside, the planes are 50cc to 150cc on average, they have massive aileron, elevator and rudder movements and are very overpowered. They use 4 differing stick movements at the same time to perform the "rolling harrier" seen in the video and the timing is critical, but even more so when that low. They usually use around 7 channels on a plane that size but it differs depening on what mixing they use on the TX.

It takes MANY MANY hours of practice to be able to do this, infact even for a young "playstation generation" lad, they would take around 2 to 3 years of constant practice to get to this kind of level, for most people they never get there. Amazing to watch as I had a number of good friends who fly like this and compete both in the UK and abroad. Well done to them all  :thumbup: :clap:
very new to all this....

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
this is from 2005 and they have come on a lot since, it was the introduction of brushless motors gave them a fantastic power to weight ratio.

Peter

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8185503357916397815#
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline -steves-

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
Indeed, they now have 4D planes that fly backwards as well, all very strange  :clap: :thumbup:
very new to all this....

Offline -steves-

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
very new to all this....

Offline Bert

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
Hi All

I too am a former RC aviator /builder and quite agree that represents some first class piloting.
For those who are unfamiliar with high end RC aviation, you would be surprised with the quality of lathe you could buy with the money that is invested in that airplane. An aircraft of that caliber and sophistication is not something you buy at the corner hobby shop. Very high end aircraft.

Regards… bert

Offline -steves-

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »
Hi All

I too am a former RC aviator /builder and quite agree that represents some first class piloting.
For those who are unfamiliar with high end RC aviation, you would be surprised with the quality of lathe you could buy with the money that is invested in that airplane. An aircraft of that caliber and sophistication is not something you buy at the corner hobby shop. Very high end aircraft.

Regards… bert

Indeed, a 50cc airframe all new would set you back in the region of £1000 + plus TX, and a 100CC plane which I think that one is, is on the region of £2000 plus TX at around £500 - £1000. This can vary depending on the quality of the kit and the parts and engine used. Even the 4D plane (its foam!) in the last video would still set you back around £150 plus the TX of around £200 just for standard mixing. The top end guys with 40% + planes will spend up to £5000 on an airframe, plus engine at £2500 plus radio gear at another £1500+ as well as extra on the cans, headers etc, it really can get quite costly, though most of the top end guys are heavily sponsored.  :thumbup: :clap:
very new to all this....

Offline Dale

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
I bet the little scale pilots riding in the planes have one heck of a g suit  :bugeye: seems they must use gyros, it would be a lot of coordinated stick moving without them. dale

Offline -steves-

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
I bet the little scale pilots riding in the planes have one heck of a g suit  :bugeye: seems they must use gyros, it would be a lot of coordinated stick moving without them. dale

Nope, no gyros on all the ones I know that are flown, infact gyros are banned in all 3D comps, only shows / displays generally allowed them, but few actually use them, I am afraid its all down to lots of stick twiddling at the right time, and way way too many hours practice, lol  :D
very new to all this....

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
Wow what a great vid, i gave up with the models a few years ago, but still practice on the RC flight sim to keep my hand in still cant manage the hover after hours of trying. thank goodness its just a press of the reset button and the plane is ready to go again. used to get fed up  with a saturday morning flight, then take home a solarfilm bag of bits to spend the following week rebuilding. nice to watch someone who can do it.
john