Author Topic: Across the Pond  (Read 17715 times)

Offline Ned Ludd

Re: Across the Pond
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
Ralph,
You were doing so well and then you spoilt it all with your last sentence. :lol:
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 06:38:21 AM »
But it's true Ned... ? Just one of those things, be it genereditary (yer it's a word..... Well it is now!) or not.

Bagpipes give me goose bumps and make me want to smack somebody  :wack:  :wack:   And no.... Not the piper! :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
That chap talking on the video mentioned the 'Commonwealth Realm',  he did not name all the countries of the Commonwealth which is now known as the "Commonwealth of Nations" and includes countries such as India and Pakistan.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:35 AM »
That is what he missed but I didn't want to make too much of it.
Actually, there are more countries in the Commonwealth now than were part of the Empire.

It has become an alternative forum for smaller 'third world' (that is an anachronism these days as they are often more industrialised than we are!) to be heard rather than the UN where they tend to be ignored.

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
 :beer: Ralph, no wonder I am confused, my Father was born in Hampshire with french and English descendents, my Mother was born in Durham her descendants where Scots and Irish,
I was born in West Sussex. My Wife was born in Surrey with parents descendants from London France, my son was born in Hampshire so confusion reins in this house hold. 

:doh:   :scratch:   :palm:

JD
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline DavidA

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
You do realise that if Alex Salmond gets his way all the above will have to be rewritten.

Dave. :coffee:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Just a gentle reminder to all our members, politics and political discussions are a really quick way to get a thread locked/deleted. Let's not stray any further into political matters.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline sparky961

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
As the "OP", frankly I wouldn't mind if the thread were obliterated.... it really didn't clarify things for me, though I do appreciate those who made a legitimate attempt.

:Doh:

-Sparky

Offline krv3000

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
well i was conceived in a car and borne in a car so Du's that mean my country is a ford or am i just confused

Offline AndyB

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
Sorry Sparky,

It is one of those cultural things that mean a lot to those of the culture, but are almost impossible to explain.

Simply;
British Isles is all of it,  United Kingdom is most of it, Great Britain is a little bit less and England is one bit of it.

We have written history going back 2000 years and buildings and structures still standing that were built back then. We are several races and nations grouped together, not always in harmony, and we are proud of our individual heritages.

We are not alone in Europe to be like this.
Ask the people from Brittany what nationality they are, ask the Basques (no, not the lingerie!), ask the Flemish or the Friesians.

I could ask you the same question. I don't know where you come from, but I guess America; are you a Yank?
Do your people call themselves American, or do they say that they come from the United States? Or, do they say which state they come from? To us it is as confusing as you think we are.

Not having a go but trying to be helpful as the answers did not satisfy your curiosity.

Andy

Offline sparky961

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for your clarification.

I do see your point, as I'm Canadian - not to be confused with American. :)  My heritage is like many people in North America (and the world, for that matter).  I'm a mix of quite a few different things, making me "just some average Canadian white guy".

I think the reason why this confuses me is because it's very easy for me to say "I'm from Ontario, Canada" and that nails me down to a province and country.  I was thinking there might be a simple parallel in the UK (or whatever you want to call it "over there").  I guess I could go into which county and municipality that I live in, but that doesn't seem to matter much for most people here.  I think we tend to associate with a nearest town/city rather than a geographical sub-region.

-Sparky

Offline AndyB

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
No worries Sparky...are you French or English then... :lol:

Andy

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Hi I'm a Terrestrial.  :beer:   :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Baldrocker

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Phone home Bernd.
br

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
Hi I'm a Terrestrial.  :beer:   :lol:

Bernd

That is sign I don't hear often. Pisces is pretty usual tough.

I start evening as primate, but sometimes decend to quadruped - around last round that is-

PekkaNF

Offline DavidA

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Sparky961,

I might be wrong,  but I suspect the folks from Quebec would see that a little differently.

And yes, over here,  particularly in the North of England after a few beers in pub,  it can matter a great deal where you come from.  Right down to the part of town you were raised in.

Dave