Author Topic: pDrive CX Single - will this inverter run my 3 phase motor?  (Read 23936 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
pDrive CX Single - will this inverter run my 3 phase motor?
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
Hello all
I know advice on electrics isn`t always forthcoming over the internet  :bugeye: but I was hoping that some of you more electrically savvy chaps could put my mind at easy (of not having to fork out another £100 on an inverter!) by telling me if this inverter I`ve been given will run my 1/3 Hp three phase motor.

The inverter, and I presume it is an inverter, is labeled:

pDrive - CX single  - VA TECH   - www.pdrive.cc

The silver foiled information reads:
Type: >pDrive< CS single 0,4
INPUT: 50/60Hz 200-240v  1ph  - 5.8A
OUTPUT: 1-360Hz  200-240V   3ph  - 2.6A
Rated Motor: 0.4W   
NE17216   S

I very much presume that i`ll do the trick since it is clearly stating that it is a 1ph to 3ph converter with a power output of 0.4W which is 0.5hp, plenty for my 1/3hp motor.

That being said, I`m not 100% sure and I`ve never seen this type of controller before. It looks like it has a speed control nob on the front of some sort! Also, I`ve not dared remove the cover off the back but who ever removed it cut the wires. It looks like the single phase input takes up two of the 6 connector blocks (live and neural) but then that only leaves 4 inputs. I`m sure my other inverter has 6 inputs for the 6 wire 3 phase motor.

http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/852575A6007E5FD3/All/08A715CAD209060485257714005C1B5D/$File/h506921_0.pdf

http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/852575A6007E5FD3/All/79140E342AAE027F85257714005C1206/$File/h506907_0.pdf

Any thoughts, information or warnings  :zap: welcome 

:beer:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:41:11 PM by craynerd »

Offline Swarfing

Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Swarfing

Re: pDrive CX Single - will this inverter run my 3 phase motor?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Also you only need a .25kw inverter

take a look at the vector drive model there

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Hi Chris,

Happy New Year.

If you've got 6 wires coming out of your motor you need to find which are the start and finish for each phase. You'll need to connect the three phases in series and then connect each of the three joints to the three outputs. (The start and finish aren't important as long as you identify both ends of each winding.)

I'm sure that it will more than do the job.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »
just out of interest what is the 1/3 hp motor like I am after a small motor for a project I have a spare inverter I bought for the lath.
or does anyone know where I can get a small in psical size 1/4 or 1/3 hp motor.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
It will need to be wired delta

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and comments. I have had some success in that I`ve wired it all up and the motor does turn  :ddb:  BUT I`m getting quite a high pitch squeeling noise from the motor and it will go to a max of about 70-80 rpm and that seems to be top speed. That being said, I`ve only ran it a couple of times for fear of damaging the motor.

I clearly need to set some of the parameters but it feels like the manual and selection menu on the controller works in a different language!

I`ll figure out how to work the menu I`m sure, but if anyone has any advice on the actual parameters and settings I`ll need to actually select then please shout out. The nice thing about buying them off Gavin is that mine had been setup by him! If I can get it working then I`ll be pretty pleased with it. It is a nice little unit with a speed control pot on the unit itself. There is room for a control board but I wouldn`t have a clue how to connect one!!

Any more help on setting up the inverter would be welcome. The manual is linked to in my first post.
Chris

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
Chris,

you need to access the menu to see what the settings are....If the motor is squeeling then potentially the frequency may be set too high....My vfd is set to a max of 75 hz....

Also if the vfd is naything like mine they are suited to dual voltage motors....i.e when the windings are connected in Delta the windings see 220v rather than the usual 415volts from a proper 3ph supply
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:17:17 AM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »
Hi John

The first job tonight is to set the maximum frequency as I was told to do this by Swarfing last night but was struggling. I`ve been studying the manual today and so I`ll give that a go tonight.

The problem is...where do I get all the other data from?

I know in my menu I can set:

Maximum Frequency
P, I and D Gains
accel and d`accel ramps
Feedback destination

How do I know what I need to set these to?

Chris

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
Leave the PID controller disabled - at least initially (can't imagine youy'll need that functionality).  Then you can ignore P I & D.

Also you won't use the Feedback of not using PID - that's one less thing to worry about.

Ramp rates - probably not critcal on such a small motor, start off with something arbitrary.  A slow ramp will give 'soft start' (can help limit mechanicl shock and start up surge on larger drives).

If just being used as a way to drive a 3 phase motor, and perhaps give som basic speed variation you don't really need the more exotic functions.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
Cheers for the advice David, i`ve just reset to factory EU settings and starting from scratch. Can you tell me what I should set for:

base frequency
maximum frequency
output frequency

I`m still getting the high pitch squeel!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
This is driving me bonkers - max frequency and base frequency both set to 50hz yet with the motor running and displaying the frequency it is showing only 15hz with a top speed (still deathly slow) a max of 16Hz !!

Offline melgump

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
I shall now show my ignorance on such matters by asking how an inverter rated to a 0,4w motor is expected to be able to run a motor of 1/3 hp? In my book that is approx. 250w. Just asking!
Cheers,Ray.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
Couple of thoughts - haven't had time to study the manual....

Base Frequency could be related to the 'clock frequency' of the microporcessor (in the kHz range) - you can sometimes chage this to avoid resonances .  So it might not be anything to do directly with Output Frequency.

Do you have Jog mode enabled without realising? - check details of the control/digital inputs.  If in jog mode the drive will run very slow (and may not allow any/much variation).

Exact details vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and between model ranges - it really is a question of ploughing through the manual.  Unfortunately they tend to assume a degree of familarity with control circuitry and/or PLCs.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Chris

Set the base frequency to 50hz (mains voltage), set the max to 75 and if that is too slow add a few more hz at a time to max until you start getting to somewhere near your speed requirements. you can go between 100% and 130% of intended motor speed with an inverter. be careful though and don't be greedy.

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Chris,
The problem may not be the inverter, but could be the motor. May be worth checking.

With the motor running slow one of the winding may be the wrong way round. If incorrect two winding are giving a CW rotation and one will be giving an ACW rotation.
Motor windings ends are usually indicated (ie A & B) what ever the indication are then the A’s all connect to B’s. The order that they connect in does not matter that will only alter the rotation.

L1                           L2                            L3
A1 to B3                A2 to B1                  A3 to B 2

L is line conductor = supply from inverter
A & B winding ends

Hope I am not confusing you.
Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Grrr.... thanks for more of the messages and suggestions!

I pulled the Jaguar Inverter off my Boxford Lathe and hooked that up to the motor and it runs fine so I rule the motor out as the issue. Likewise I have reverted back to the new pDrive inverter and changed the connections around going into the inverter. The motor as expected goes in the other direction but I still get the slow speed and high pitch squeel from the motor.

I have set the base to 50hz and max freq to 75hz as instructed by Swarfing.

There is a jog mode but the manual (which seems to presume the user is an expert!) tells me that it has to be in "off" mode. I`m clearly in run mode and so I`m convinced the issue isn`t to do with jogging.

There is a clear issue here with the frequency. Despite setting the frequency basic settings as stated, when I run the motor and set the display to show me the frequency, I`m only running at 16Hz and although I have the front panels controls selected as my input, the pot is doing near to nothing to the speed. It will slow it down!!! (it is going slow enough!!) but it won`t speed it up above 16-17Hz. The max is 100% set to 75Hz.

My next step is to hook the Boxford motor up to the new inverter but if anyone has any more suggestions...the more the better as I`m slowly loosing faith that this is going to work!

Chris

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Chris is anything set for F02 and F03?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
"10" for both  ???

Chris

EDIT: just looked it up, ramp values and 10s is default.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »
ok maybe a thought now? are we sure it a three phase motor and not a 2 pole with cap start = 6 wires?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
 :doh: :doh:

Now my head is totally mush! The inverter works fine on my Brook Crompton motor on my lathe. It does cause some squeeling at low frequency but these speeds would rarely be useful, bump it up to 20Hz+ and the squeeling goes and the motor flys!

Sounds like I have a winner, Jaguar on the miller and pDrive on the lathe but unfortunately the lathe is in such a position that I`d need a controller box and wouldn`t have a clue how to wire one up to the new pDrive and besides, I guess it is under power and my approx 2/3hp Crompton lathe motor would be lost on this smaller inverter. Likewise, the Jaguar will be overpower for the small 1/3hp motor but I guess I could set limits as to not damage the motor.  :Doh:

Why the heck wouldn`t the inverter be running the small Seimens motor?

Chris

EDIT: Swarfing, we posted at the same time. It is 100% a 3ph motor but I have no clue why the pDrive won`t run it.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »
Try base at 60 then it maybe happier as it thinks it is state side. it could be a duel frequency motor?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies Swarfing and all others....I`ll give that a bash tomorrow. I think bed is calling before I get tired and  :zap: 

I`ll keep you updated and if anyone has more thoughts, post and I`ll be sure to give them a go!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Perceiver a few of us have been here before i can assure you. If it is duel motor then you should be able to get hire speeds out f it  :thumbup:

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 03:11:38 AM »
b32 found under General Functions sounds like it might just explain the issue.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 04:20:32 AM »
b32 - Reactive current setting

Setting Range: 0,1...1,0 x IN
Default Setting: 0,58 x IN

The parameter adjusts the reactive current (no-load current) of the motor in ampere. The right setting (especially at small motors, multi-motor operation, at motors with nominal power smaller than the inverter or at motors in 400V / 87Hz operation) improves the current display, the motor protection and the overload limitation. At small motors a wrong setting leads to an early trip caused by the internal motor protection function.

In all honesty, I can read the words but it doesn`t really mean anything to me! So I presume this would be set to.... high? The problem I`m finding with most of these settings is knowing what to set the values to!

Chris!

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:36 AM »
It says that for small motors it will get confused if this isn't set correctly, motor protection may kick in and reduce speed.

0.58 IN  translates as 0.58 x nominal current (should be on motor rating plate).  NB I haven't gone back to check the full list of definitions in the manual - that might be a good idea in case they have some very specific meaning for IN.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »
Well I can see "1.82/1.05A"   and  "1.89-1.87/1.09-1.08A"  written on my motor plate.  I thought b2 setting allowed a value 0 - 1 but it doesn`t, it allows a range from 0 - 2.6. Also, it says 0.58 is default yet after a factory reset, 1.5 is the value of b32. Anyway, fairly irrelevent as I have tried lots of numbers within the range and I can exactly the same results! Squeeling motor with no speed control and freq of 16Hz.

I`ve also swith the base frequency to 60Hz and could "hear" a change in the motor, but it was pretty much the same just a slightly different pich of squeeling.

My hope is fading!!

Chris

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Chris i'm wondering whether this may be a duel voltage motor where it would be 240v 'Y' and 120v delta? can you put up the make /model etc of the motor so we can do some surfing on it?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
Hi Swarfing,

Motor is: Siemens 3~ Mot 1LA7073-4AB10

All info on the plate:

Siemens 3~ Mot 1LA7073-4AB10
UD  0805/71041082

Side 1
IP55   71M    IM B3
50 HZ   230/400V    (!triangle shape!)/Y
0.37kW       1.82/1.05A
cos (phi) 0.78     1270/min
220-240/380-420V   (!triangle shape!)/Y
1.89 -1.87 / 1.09-1.08 A
32142 6001

side 2
IEC/EN 60034  ThCL155(F)
60Hz  460V Y
0.43kW     1.02A
cos (phi) 0.76     1670/min
440-480 V Y
1.08-1.09 A

I hope that all makes sense!!

Chris

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »

Motor is: Siemens 3~ Mot 1LA7073-4AB10

All info on the plate:

Siemens 3~ Mot 1LA7073-4AB10
UD  0805/71041082

Side 1
IP55   71M    IM B3
50 HZ   230/400V    (!triangle shape!)/Y
0.37kW       1.82/1.05A
cos (phi) 0.78     1270/min
220-240/380-420V   (!triangle shape!)/Y
1.89 -1.87 / 1.09-1.08 A
32142 6001

side 2
IEC/EN 60034  ThCL155(F)
60Hz  460V Y
0.43kW     1.02A
cos (phi) 0.76     1670/min
440-480 V Y
1.08-1.09 A

I hope that all makes sense!!

Chris

Delta is the connection format for the triangle shape, and states the motor is dual voltage when connected in either config so should be suitable but you proved this using your other vfd...

This has to be a setup option on the new vfd that is causing the issues.......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline philf

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
John,

I had a Eurotherm 0.55kw inverter which I wanted to use on my bandsaw. The motor was a Hoover 3-ph which was Delta connected. However many parameters I tried to change, I got similar results to Chris. (Squealing, low speed, no torque.)

I tried a Mitsubishi 0.4kw inverter and the Hoover motor ran perfectly from the default settings.

The Eurotherm, from its default settings, had no problems running a 0.55kw Baldor, inverter rated, motor which I bought new for my CNC project.

I'm sure I have read about why some motors won't work with some inverters but a very quick look on Google didn't turn anything up.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »
Made some progress in  a strange way last night.

Parameter: Selection of overload restriction.   Currently set to during acceleration and constant speed, perhaps stupid, but I set this to "OFF" - 00.

The inverter then behaves as it should, the pot becomes active and the inverter accelerates as it should for about 4 seconds....and then trips to Error 3 !!

So it proves that this overload restriction is clearly kicking in and causing the inverter to not change freq above 16Hz and make the motor squeel.

The question is now why is the overload restriction having to kick in. Looking at Error 3:

Set acceleration time too short, short circuit at motor terminals, earth fault, set voltage boost too high, nominal motor current is higher than the nominal current of the inverter (David Jupp - this is the setting b32 you noticed but I have tried to change this with no luck, but no clue what it should be set to!!)

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:20 AM »
So is b22 set appropriately for your motor?

Are you certain motor is wired correctly?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
Hi David

Right, I think I see what you are saying. b21 is Overload Restriction Mode and b22 is the level of restriction. So is the level set correctly before restriction kicks in. My answer is that I haven`t a bloody clue what it should be set to BUT that being said.... if I`ve totally removed the restriction, i.e set b21 to off and it is still tripping.  Actually thinking aloud...if I can set the restriction I should get more range before it cuts in!

I`ll give it a bash.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »
I`ve not had time to try it yet, but I just wanted to mention that I`ve found that my pDrive is just a rebranded Hitachi X200 and the manual for the X200 is much much more detailed than that of my pDrive:

http://www.ostergrens.se/upload/Hitachi/X200-Instruction_manual_NT301X.pdf

I can`t bloody believe it. The only parameter that I wanted an explanation to, b32 nominal current setting, isn`t shown?!?!

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
Looks like nominal curent is around 1.8 or 1.9 A - when wired in Delta (which is what I'd expect).

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
Finally bloody found it!!! :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Someone pointed out that A045 is voltage gain setting and is allows the output voltage to be set within the range of 50...100 % of the input voltage. so if I`m running a 220v winding on the 380v vfd I set it to 220/380 = 57% and it worked!

I shouldn`t fret and just be happy, but I`m now curious Why  the Jaguar inverter worked?

Chris

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
Chris it should be 220 in and 220 out so you should be able to set that to 100%

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
Swarfing, I`m pretty sure i`ve set most parameters now and it is the only one that allows the motor to run without error message!

Without it set and showing the current on display, the current goes above 2.5A and just trips the system. With this set, it seems to maintain a constant max current.

I`m really no expert...its just the only parameter that seems to let it work!!

Chris

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
Sounds like you cracked it then  :thumbup:, well done

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Disaster...motor runs but with no torque!!

back to the drawing board   :doh: :Doh:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »
Hurray, finally working!! In truth, I took it to a motor repair place and they tested it, said the motor was fine but although my wiring looked right, I`d got the poles the wrong way around and rewired it. Which is confusing, because it looked identical to how I`d done it!!  I`d driven a fair distance and for £10 more (£25 total) he offered me a cap for cap start incase my inverter was duff. Anyway, got it home, reset the inverter, put in the basic parameters and off it went...

Finally fixed!!!

Chris

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
Great news Chris and the cost was pretty good really to find out and stop banging your head.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
£15 would have been great but I took the cap as I was convinced it wasn`t going to work with the inverter and with the capacitor he showed it me working!  Still, £25 was a bargain, especially against my next steps of buying a different inverter or messing around fitting a new motor!!