Author Topic: Gas Tungsten Arc Welding handbook  (Read 4356 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Gas Tungsten Arc Welding handbook
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:42:49 AM »
Gas Tungsten Arc Welding handbook
by William H Minnick
Goodheart-Willcox co.
copyright©1985,1992,1996,2000,2006
ISBN#13-978-1-59070-581-0

After much looking around at stand alone and combination welding instruction books. I settled on this one. As it only covered the GTAW, or TIG as it once was called.
Looking for something that had all the info on the subject, so I can have the knowledge to make a decision on buying a machine to do the welding I could possibly do in the near term. Along with the pointers from the people here. I figured that it would be a walk in the park!
Well It does cover just about everything one could want or need in a book.

* The process
    * Operation and safety
    * Equipment
    * Auxiliary equipment and systems
    * Shielding gases and regulators
    * Filler materials
    * Welding joints and types
    * Tooling and equipment setup
    * Manual welding techniques
    * Covering aluminum,magnesium,copper and copper alloys,steel and steel alloys, stainless steel,nickel,nickel alloys,titanium, pipe and dissimilar metals

Then moving on to semiauto and automatic welding, quality control/inspection,welding repair. Qualification and Certification estimating costs and a good reference section.
Since it is a text book for training purposes. It is set up to cover the subject matter in the chapter heading and only that. You don't have to hunt thru a large chapter if you want some bit of info.
It also means that if you have no interest in some subject matter. Such as the titanium welding in a bubble with an inert atmosphere you can skip that chapter or section of the chapter with out wondering if you have missed something else.

I will say that this book is up there with the ones that everyone should have on their reference shelf.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen