Author Topic: Mini Knee Mill Recommendations  (Read 33817 times)

Offline Davo J

Re: Mini Knee Mill Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:45 AM »
If you can weld you could pick up a piece of heavy wall pipe and weld plates on either end. Also you could use long studs or thread rod that go right through the spacer instead of having separate bolts top and bottom, so that would exclude the slots in the sides.

Dave

Dave,

I was thinking the same thing. Look for some thick walled pipe and weld some flanges on it.

I'm considering the Grizzly 8x30 mill as a backup plan just in case getting one from China falls through.

Ed

Hi Ed,
I didn't realise you where over here as well. :beer:

If I was over where you are I would be inclined to buy the one from the store over there selling them. I forget which one it was but I was mentioned and posted with a link up over on HM and they had stock.
It would save any worries about whether your mill would turn up in one piece, and would have warranty.

Dave

Offline Davo J

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
Hello.
Is there anyone who made a working drawing of that riser?
The one on yahoo-group is wrong.
Or,maybe someone is selling such a riser.My lathe is really to small to turn my own.
Cheers,Ralph

To be on the safe side I would spend a few hours taking yours apart and taking the measurements directly off your machine to make it. Would be northing worse than making it only to find the bolt holes don't line up or something like that.

I have a slightly larger mill, but I returned 2 mills so this is my 3rd, and all of them have had slight differences with bolt holes etc. I think it's up to who ever is assembling them to drill a lot of the holes, so they could vary a bit between machines.

Dave

Offline mnmetal

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »

Hi Ed,
I didn't realise you where over here as well. :beer:

If I was over where you are I would be inclined to buy the one from the store over there selling them. I forget which one it was but I was mentioned and posted with a link up over on HM and they had stock.
It would save any worries about whether your mill would turn up in one piece, and would have warranty.

Dave

Dave,

I'll have to go find that link you posted on H-M. I don't recall which one it was either.

Ed
14x40 Vectrax lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, Millermatic 180 MIG welder.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
I never posted it, it was Arvid
It was the one he said was around $3000, but when he rang they went up in price.

Dave

Offline mnmetal

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
I never posted it, it was Arvid
It was the one he said was around $3000, but when he rang they went up in price.

Dave

Dave,

Now I remember. It was this one.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/14823/product_name/Horizontal+%26+Vertical+Turret+Mill+%28WT%29&update_continue_shopping=true

I contacted them and they couldn't tell me whether it was actually in stock and they didn't seem willing to check so I gave up on them.

Ed
14x40 Vectrax lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, Millermatic 180 MIG welder.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
Contact the main manager and you might find he helps you out and gives you one at a good price.
I have done this over here when I got pore is little service, and they are not happy to hear there staff are chasing people away.
After all you talking $3000, not $30

Dave