Author Topic: Sieg C3 Tailstock Turret  (Read 7680 times)

Offline bp

Sieg C3 Tailstock Turret
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
In a recent MEW Michael Cox had a tailstock turret.  I had been meaning to make one for a long time, Michael's article kicked me along!!
The broad design criteria were,
1/  I had to be able to make it
2/  Max drill size 7.0mm, this allows comfortably for 1/4" drills, taps etc
3/  I reckoned that I needed 5 stations, centre drill, pilot drill, tap drill, taper tap, plug tap.
4/  The whole thing to be as small as possible

I have revised that a bit since and now believe a 4 station turret would be good, because two positions for taps is not necessary.
A friend of mine has a Schaublin 70 with a Schaublin tailstock turret, (not the dedicated 70TR turret Lathe).  This as you would expect is a beautiful piece of kit.  It has the stations parallel with the axis, not angled.  This appealed to me not least because I would be less likely to leave bits of flesh dangling from the pointy bits.  The Schaublin one was 60mm diameter and had 5 stations.  Bingo, I could copy the basic layout of the Schaublin one, but with a simple spring loaded detent.  Because space was a bit restricted ER11 collet chucks from CTC were used, instead of conventional chucks.  All the sockets were reamed 10mm diameter, as was the central bore of the rotating part.  As I had a bagful of M5 x 10mm long socket set screws left over from the QCTP project, they would be used for tool clamping, this explains the slightly unusual placing of the clamping screw holes.
I ordered enough material to make three complete turrets, as I expect some scrap.  The machining is basically pretty easy, even for me.  The hardest bits were getting the right fits between the rotating part and the fixed part, and a smooth yet positive detent mechanism, with no or minimal free play.  The first fit (rotating to fixed bits) involved lapping the parts for a while on a surface plate with some oily 800 wet and dry.  It now has a really nice smooth feel when indexing.  The detent pin was a matter of very light lapping of the holes and polishing the pin.
So there we are it didn't take long and works a treat.  What more could anyone want!!
cheers
Bill Pudney
ps the not very sharp centres are intended to be used with a tapping chuck, and don't need a sharp point.  They are about to be replaced with a spring centre.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Sieg C3 Tailstock Turret
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:23:54 AM »
Bill,

that's a grand piece of work - functional and elegant (and nicely explained as well)  :thumbup:  :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

cheers / Dave

p.s. just out of interest, with all that metal, when the tailstock quill/ram is extended do you get any droop?

Offline bp

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:45 AM »
Dave asked, with words to the effect "does it droop with all that weight??"
Thanks for the nice words Dave.  No it doesn't droop enough to be able to measure, but just to be sure, I try and keep the extension to a minimum, on the grounds that the whole thing is likely to be more rigid that way.  Most of the threads I use the turret for are pretty small, M2 or M3 sort of size, and very seldom more than 10 or 12 mm long.  Horses for courses I suppose.
cheers
bp

Offline marfaguy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
That is really impressive and inspiring. Thanks for showing.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »
Thats a nice looking turret for sure. Good job!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bandit_46

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
Awesome Job on the Turret! Glad I found this Forum!  :mmr:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:30 AM »
HI well that's a nuther tool to go to my list well dun

Offline Davo J

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »
Great work  :beer: and it will be a handy tool saving time.

Dave