Author Topic: Birthday Gift-glow torch.  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Birthday Gift-glow torch.
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
Well, I could have tagged this on to either the torches or glowing keyrings posts but I decided to give it it's own....  :borg:

Basically I've combined my little brass keyrings into one for an 18th birthday prezzie for my ex-apprentice (He's now pursuing a career in engineering)

Anyway. The torches you may be familiar with already? They're in the gallery somewhere...
And the GID keyrings are also in the gallery.

This is my first (possibly only? took too many hours!!) attempt at combining the pair...

The torch body was made the same as usual except it was left longer by 10mm at the LED end so I could fill it with GID resin.

Made myself a special nozzle to deliver the resin to the bottom of the blind holes..

The LED was now 10mm from the tip of the torch. So after a little figuring out a plan was devised.
Remove the lip from the LED....

Make a spacer to allow it to drop down the hole, pushed by the insulator disc.

Assembled extended LED

The LED still 4-5mm shy so that machining can be carried out.

Then  a few other minor bits were carried out:
The tip was styled slightly... This didn't go quite as planned.... Emery tape, brass and epoxy resins do not mix at high speeds and increasing temperatures...!  Still, I made it look acceptable (couldn't remove too much more material) and then gave the body a satin finish.

It was then transferred to the RT (because it was set up vertically from making GID keyrings)  and the tip styling continued from there...

The endmill (13mm) was set up at the half height of the workpiece. The workpiece was advanced toward the endmill and the RT turned through 360' and then the workpiece was moved a further 0.30mm into the endmill etc, etc till I was happy with the depth of cut.

(Got a video of this process. If anyone's interested I can sort it out?)

All was going well till I found a bubble!

Bubble filled, wait 30min's and carry on the machining... (didn't waste the GID epoxy... Filled a 40mm bit of acrylic tube for keyring use later on  :thumbup:)

I added a further 2 smaller rings using a 2mm endmill (the top one was for symmetrical reasons, I ummed and arred for a good 5 min's before adding it.... I think it works.)

The tail cap was shaped using my own keyring torch body as an arbour... Decided it was too much hassle making a dedicated one tonight!

And finally (they all breathe a sigh of relief!  :) )

The finished product... Next to a CCMT 06 bit (6mm across the flats)

The residue seen around the lip in this pic is a bit of clear lacquer I used to seal the GID areas of the torch.... It was quite gritty in texture and picked up dirt like iron filings to a magnet!.... This'll give it a few months of abuse before it's too dirty I should think?

I quite like the machining marks so I left 'em there.

And the test....

I'm quite pleased with it to be fair.... Lots of time in it though, with all the LED extension and the resin filled parts and it takes a while cutting the recesses like that too.... But I like the effect so I went with it! (same as my pipe bender)

Hope you like it?

Anywho... That's today sorted...Sorry for the huge post.

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Birthday Gift-glow torch.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
That's pretty cool Ralph. It is definitely styling... I like it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Ralph making a light...check

Ralph making something with his new GID obsession...check

Ralph combining two ideas for a neat end product...check

Ralph not polishing something to a mirror finish...Huh?  This does not compute.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:38:54 AM »
Thanks Eric  :thumbup:  Glad you like it.... Not bad for a first combination. Learned a few lessons with this one. Already thinking of ways I could improve it  :smart:  If I make another one it should be a bit easier and less time consuming?

Hi Roger.... Now then. Not everything has to be shiny.... I couldn't polish this as it has the issue of the resin in there. As I said it's like a dirt magnet!
It does glow in the dark and creates it's own shiny blue light! What more do you want (except polish  :palm:)

The satin finish is still a very good finish to use IMO (we need a smiley sticking his tongue out  :lol:  )

I'm just going to assume you still like it though :)

Ralph.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
Yeah, just messing with ya, Ralph.  Very creative of you.  I just couldn't believe you were posting pics of something not polished!

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
Bravo that man - a bespoke creation is so much more of a present

..... I'm just going to assume you still like it though :)......Ralph.

Possibly he likes it so much so that what Roger really means is - send it over to him and then he'll have a go at polishing it !  :thumbup:

Dave

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »
Me polishing something of Ralph's would be like trying to teach granny to suck eggs.  He is, after all, the king of bling.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »
I know you're only messing Roger   :poke:   :beer: 

Thanks Dave, I'm hoping he will like/appreciate it since he's travelling the engineering path via collage and apprenticeship? He better had or I'll batter him  :wack:   :lol:  (he worked with me for 6 months and we've played pool on the same team for 18months or so.... He knows the score  :thumbup: )

Don't think I'd trust the postal service with this.... Although they're quite good it's a whold different ball game going international!

He is, after all, the king of bling.
  Don't start that again!  :doh:  :lol:  There are better out there at this shiny stuff than me  :headbang:  I just put up more pictures  :borg:

Ralph.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
Very nice looking little torch that. I don't know what it is about brass. Any other material I can just take of the lathe and leave it as it is. But brass I can't do that with ... just have this urge to polish it. I can't help it. A shrink would probably say that it was something that went wrong in my childhood or something along those lines.

ATB

Michael

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
Thank you Michael  :thumbup:

Yep, I know what you mean.... I'd have polished it a bit usually but the GID inserts were as said, like dirt magnets! 

Much of my other stuff is shiny  :)

Between torches and all manner of other gadgets, I think a shrink would have a whale of a time with me too :lol:

Ralph.