Author Topic: Peck Drilling THANK YOU  (Read 5622 times)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Peck Drilling THANK YOU
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:23:51 AM »
I wanted to say thanks to everyone here using the term Peck Drilling... (That I had never heard of... except for one time)

AND Divided head for his peck drilling video clip thing.

I saw that when it was new.. I stumbled across it before the site I am sure.. and thought it was neat, but had never done it.. and was trying to crank the tailstock in and out without much success.

Matter of fact I tried to drill a 2" hole through a piece of 1/4" stainless rod with a 1/16" drill bit.. and went through 5 drillbits before I gave up.

Tonight I made a light pull tonight for my elderly mother to use for a Cieling fan.

Wanted to see if I could.. and trie some different things with the ball turner.. and spacing things out. Pondering things.

Anyhow. PECK Drilling..

Worked great going through that piece of stainless with a 1/8" drill bit. Just slid the tailstock back and forth..

Now to watch the video and try to make a real peck driller.

SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Peck Drilling THANK YOU
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:34:10 AM »
Nice job :thumbup: :clap:

Great finish, your mum will have to wear sunglasses when she puts the fan on  :lol:

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Nice work Scott, it's good to experiment with shapes, I've done and still do lots of that.... It's fun :dremel:

The peck drilling doodad that I made was for fun.... only used it once other than the video!

I got an idea in my head and had to make it.... I had never seen such an implement and then after I'd finished mine at the Harrogate show I saw one for a Myford... £125.00!!!!  :bugeye:

Mine only cost me a few hours and some metal I already had... The chuck was from my mill too, interchangeable tooling  :thumbup:

If you would like my crappy drawings your welcome to them, I'm sure you can put your own 'spin' on them  :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
He he he Thanks guys!

Were in Florida, and they live on the water, so there may actually be a bit of reflection off the water to make it "bling"  :lol:

I would love some CoC drawings if you had em for the peck drill.. Cause I have had to drill bolts and things on many occations. I have had banjo bolts break and had to drill a new one at 2AM, because the original Mazda bolt is not to be found.

I think a peck drill attachment is one of the things I will use quite frequently LOL.

Now I just need to figure the angle for cutting a MT2 taper  :thumbup: (digs for his machinists handbook from the 1950s)

Things like this I love.
Having something that has always been a problem to do... and having a simple solution that makes a problem tast.. not even a speedbump.

:clap:
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Hi Scot

OK for No 2 morse taper:-  the taper per foot is 0.5986"  or   taper per inch is 0.0498"  this equates to a included angle of 2.85 deg.  :thumbup:

The best way to turn a morse taper is to do it between centres and off set the tail stop.
I don't know if you are familiar with this process, but breifly,

1:- Centre drill each end of your bar stock.

2:- Remove your chuck and replace it with a fixed centre and a driving dog, and a carrier on your bar stock, put a running centre in your tail stock.

3:- To set the taper you can do it by trial and error until you get a good fitting taper in a No 2 sleeve, turning between centres you can remove the job without losing your setting. Or you can put a clock in the tool post and run it along your bar stock until it reads the correct taper per inch.

The tail stop should have two bolts one ether side low down, you slaken one and tighten the other this gives the off set.

When you've got it right just turn it to size.

What ever you fixing on the taper the best way to get it running tru is to but the blank taper you've just turned in your head stock, and turn it to fit your chuck, end mil or what ever your going to do with the buisness end.

Turning a taper is a good maching exercise but the easy way is to buy a blank taper they have soft ends so you can machine it to your requirements.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers :wave:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
Spin,

If I was you I would take Stews advice and buy a blank MT taper, they are very cheap.

Kicking over your tailstock is easy, and you would soon get the job done. Getting the tailstock back into perfect alignment is a real PITA involving drive dogs and turning between centres. Been there and got the t-shirt.

If you were making a couple of dozen, then yes, but for one or two, the figures don't work out.

If you just want to make quickie MT's for general tooling use in the tailstock, you could easily make stub MT's by using your compound slide kicked over and the material held in the chuck. Because the compound most probably won't have enough travel to turn the full length of a standard MT, then turn what you can and make up the difference with a bolt in the end so that the eject in the tailstock will still work. A minimum of half the length is required to give a stable seating.

Once you have the correct angle, knock up half a dozen for future use.

C-o-C attached.

Bogs
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:59:10 PM by bogstandard »

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
Ahhh very nice...

Ok so I have heard of ofsetting the tailstock... Not sure I want to go there yet. Not sure Im up for that level of work.... and with the chuck changes.. I am not able to go there yet either I think.. cause I have a self centering 3 jaw, and a 4 jaw.. sooo Would need to wrap my brain around that.

I checked e-bay, and there is a MT2 arbor with a threaded end for $8.95USD... sooo since its that cheap, I will likely go that route, and start with one of those.  Will try to get to the scrap yeard next week and see what they have materials wise that will help me cobble up the items..

OH and BTW.. Mom Loved the fan Pull.  :D

SPiN Racing