Author Topic: Idiot  (Read 9919 times)

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

Idiot
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
Having just about recovered from Whooping cough/Bronchitis I decided that I would extend and over roof the workshop leaving the existing roof in place. All went well, 50mm insulation sheets fitted, frames fitted around insulation,3/4" ply sheets fitted all screwed through to the original roof timbers. I got a friend to give a hand to fit battens and membrane and we then lifted the 16ft steel profiled sheets onto the roof for me to fix down which I duly did, leaving the front to be trimmed to the correct overhang before fitting facias. The intention is to have the edge of the sheets on both west and south sides built into the existing boundary walls which surround the workshop on those sides. I left the last sheet off until I,ve lifted the wall to correct height but the previous sheet overhangs by about 18" on the long edge. Today I marked off (from below) the required overhang before fitting facias and gutters and then climbed up onto the roof to mark the cut line from above before application of the 9" grinder. I carefully fixed a length of twine at one end and walked to the other end to tighten it to give the cut line.   I FORGOT THE BL--DY UNSUPPORTED OVERHANG !!  I fell 9ft missing the boundary wall with all except my right hand and landed on my back on the only rock I left out when rebuilding the wall.Ribs on right rear all severely bruised,right hand deep gashes but thankfully no back/head injury or breakages. Looks like I,m out of commision for a while as I can,t lift anything or breath without pain. OLD FOOL!!

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Idiot
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Nathan,

After a decade of downhill skiing, six years of high angle ice and rock climbing, two years of parachuting into mountains for Mountain Rescue, I broke my left leg fourteen places between the ankle and the knee -- gardening!  This was many years ago, but the memories are still sharp.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
Lew,
          17 years in civilian mountain rescue, rock and ice climber since I was 14, raced motorbikes on tarmac and rode in the chair on grasstrack. All without the slightest injury. Ski's and me do not mix !! But to injure myself due to my own stupidity is something I have never considered until now. Thankfully I  (and the family, because SHE called them) can laugh about it !

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Glad to hear you lived through it!

I injure myself all the time...

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Ibuprophen and Jim Beam is a great painkiller mix!! I,m becoming more flaxible by the second (Hic)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Thanks Eric, but I try not to!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
Volterol and red whine generally sorts me  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What team are you on Nathan
I have been with COMRU (cave and mine rescue) for a good few years
John

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
Hi John,
            I was OVMRO but now retired. I  live in the Bethesda area so keep in touch with the team and have many good mates who have also survived team membership !! Perhaps we have some friends in common?

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Nathan -- Years ago I decided that getting old was indicated by aspirin becoming your drug of choice...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »
Hard luck, Nathan. I hope the aches and pains soon pass.

I've had a hot wet foot from filling up a coffee mug on the side of a tray which was jutting out over the table edge, but have so far managed to avoid usng myself as he weight which tips the scales.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
Yesterday having seen the Doc for more painkillers I decided to trim the roof edge, job done but feeling a bit carp now. Today decided not to take the Codiene based painkillers and to rely on Iboprophene. Managed to fit facias and guttering to workshop in bright almost summer type weather(at least what passes for summer in N Wales), very happy !. Mistake number 1, decided to have an alcoholic drink as its been over a week since the last one. Mistake number 2, had another. Mistake number 3, had another. Must still have some Codiene in my blood stream because I now feel FANTASTIC (tired and emotional !!), and will soon be heading for bed , if I can find it !! Who said that opiates and alcohol don't mix ? Might leave the concrete work and block laying until next week though.
                                          Nathan.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Yeah - been there: first drink makes you feel like a new man. And then the new man feels like a drink ...

Jim