Author Topic: Video Shop Tour  (Read 9660 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Video Shop Tour
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
Thought some might find a video of my shop interesting.  I always find other people's shop interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmcosOEN3s&feature=youtu.be

I would also enjoy seeing videos of other shops if you find the time.

Chuck

Offline Deko

Re: Video Shop Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:39 AM »
Hi Chuck
             Very nice workshop, but do'nt expect to see too many vid's like that from this side of the pond. With metal theft at an all time high, if the theves found out where the shop was, the lot would be in the scrap yard in short order. :(   The trouble is we ca'nt shoot the blighters, because the criminals here have "human rights".  No one else does, just the criminals. :bang:

Cheers  Deko

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:41 AM »
Excellent Video Chuck :)

Wish I could be so organised!

I like the sloped stock storage bin  - I will have to copy that :)

Similarly, that little mini diamond grinder has started me thinking....
Bill

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
Chuck,

Very nice and well organized shop. Very clean to. Did you do a quick clean up before the vid? :D

I'd do a vid of my shop but the problem is since I have more room than your average shop it's a total disaster with tools, dust and junk all over the place.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Very nice Chuck. You have given me some ideas.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
Thanks all, for the kind words.  I did do a quick cleanup before shooting the video, but as a rule, I have to keep it pretty clean.  Because it's so small, it get's cluttered very quickly.  I keep the vacuum out and vacuum up chips regularly from the mill and lathe when doing a project.  Otherwise it gets tracked into the house and, of course, we all know what that leads to...

My workbench is the worst.  I have two bad habits.  First, I tend to leave tools and pieces lying on the workbench rather than putting them away.  Second, I have a bad habit of going into a drawer to get a tool and leave whatever is in my hand at the time behind in that same drawer.  Then, when I go back to find what was in my hand originally, I can't find it because it's not on my workbench and it's not where it should be.  Fortunately, I've become aware of that issue, so I start backtracking to find the lost part.  Occasionally, a tool will be come "lost" for months if I stick it in some obscure drawer while retrieving something else and I forget about it.  The good news, it's like Christmas when I find something that I thought was lost forever.  Still waiting for my favorite six inch ruler to turn up.  It's been hiding for probably a good six months now.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
Chuck,
What a host...!! Allowing us into the very bowels of your private haven....

I found it very interesting....I'm amazed at how you make maximum use of all the space you got...Nice video..

A place for everything and everything in its place........

What is your truck...? Now I'm being nosey...but American vehicles interest me..strangely!
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Chuck,

firstly.... Very nice workshop and great use of space... Quality home made cabinets too :bow:

I'd never have the cars in their if it were mine. But then I've not got a wifey to answer to  :lol:

Secondly.... I feel sorry for either you or the repair guy when your garage door goes a little faulty! That's going to be a nightmare with that shelf so close to the gear!  I'm sure you'll see what I mean when it comes to it  :borg:

As Deko said... don't expect many vid's from here!  I'm not worried about the people finding me... That'd be their problem.

I'm more not into the making speeches over film.... Just hate the sound of my recorded voice!

Suppose I could make one in my usual style..... Write on the film?

But I'd have to clean the workshop up a lot first too!!   :whip:     :lol:   (Actually started a tidy up today!)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »
Chuck,
What a host...!! Allowing us into the very bowels of your private haven....

I found it very interesting....I'm amazed at how you make maximum use of all the space you got...Nice video..

A place for everything and everything in its place........

What is your truck...? Now I'm being nosey...but American vehicles interest me..strangely!

Sorry to disappoint you, John.  The truck is a Toyota Tacoma.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
Chuck,

That small grinder toward the end of the video that has the diamond wheel on it is very interesting. Question: where did you get the diamond wheel from? I've been looking to get one that samll, no luck. I've got a few small motors laying around that can be put to use.

Thanks.

Bernd

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
I liked the storage bin idea so much, today I made one :)

It's square steel tube (an old desk frame) clad with couple of bits of scrap chip-board (desk top) . I  put wheels on it to help move it around , but the things really too heavy to move.

The stock used to just sit beside the lathe  - I didn't realise there was that much in the pile :) (much easier to see what I have now.

Bill

Bill

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
Bill

Looks very good. I like the way that you used some scrap treasured steel for the divider guides. Guess that's thinking inside the box.  :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
Chuck,

That small grinder toward the end of the video that has the diamond wheel on it is very interesting. Question: where did you get the diamond wheel from? I've been looking to get one that samll, no luck. I've got a few small motors laying around that can be put to use.

Thanks.

Bernd

Bernd,  I bought the whole thing including the motor & diamond wheel from some guy on the internet.  Not sure where he got the wheel from.  I think it's just a diamond coated cut-off blade for a dremel.  Here's a 2" wheel on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Diamond-Cut-Off-Saw-Blade-Set-for-1-8-Dremel-Tool-Power-Tools-Accessories-/310383434788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48444b5c24#ht_937wt_952

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
I liked the storage bin idea so much, today I made one :)

It's square steel tube (an old desk frame) clad with couple of bits of scrap chip-board (desk top) . I  put wheels on it to help move it around , but the things really too heavy to move.

The stock used to just sit beside the lathe  - I didn't realise there was that much in the pile :) (much easier to see what I have now.

Bill

Nice, Bill.  Mine's real heavy too and it never gets moved even though it's on wheels as well.

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
I like the way that you used some scrap treasured steel for the divider guides
That extrusion is the remains of my mates old shower cubicle, which must have been sitting in my garage since 1976!

Next...

The little grinder.
Bill

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »
Thanks Chuck.  :thumbup:

Not in need of one right now but will in the near future, so I'll keep looking for a source.

Bernd