Author Topic: Pewter and Cross contamination  (Read 5832 times)

Offline camy68

Pewter and Cross contamination
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
I have many hand tools and burrs used to make white metal (pewter) jewelry models.  I would like to start working with other metals (silver, bass, copper )with the same tools but vaugley recall the need to keep the tools separate.  Of course I can not find anything written about this. Any infomation would be appreciated!

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
Re: Pewter and Cross contamination
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:13 AM »
I guess it all depends on potential consequences.  In fabrication of critical equipment like pressure vessels it is usual to have separate tools (often in a separate shop); stainless steel  vs. carbon steel.  Things as apparently trivial as using a wire brush on stainless that has previously been used on carbon steel can initiate a localised corrosion problem in the stainless.

If you won't be doing anything safety critical (or hugely expensive) I'd suggest clean/inspect your existing tools and proceed.  Others can probably add more detail and highlight any potential issues with the metals you mention.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
Yes IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST! Since the melting point is so low. It will alloy with any other metals that you put a torch too. It will run any silver soldering, The filings either from saw or file or other will get every where. Most people that work pewter and other metals have two sets of tools and even two separate benches/work areas.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3995.0 is one book I have reviewed in the bookshelf.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3992.0 is another one
I have just received a much better book on working pewter, but have yet the time to read it.
Pewter, Designs and Techniques by Fluer Grenier, WWW.crowood.com ISBN 9781847971586

If you have any dust on silver or gold it will eat a hole in the metal when heated and continue to enlarge while it is heated.
She does explain this in her book,
A minimum is separate files, saw blades, steel brushes along with polishing mops wheels, sand or emery papers. Soldering materials and tools also should be separate.  If using stakes,hammers etc with pewter and others it should be wiped down with a fine steel type wool. And a good vacuum with a very small opening filter is best.

Part of the confusion comes from the old wives tale that pewter will corrode and other metal it comes into contract with. This is untrue since the material it is made from is stable. Even when lead was used in the alloy it is stable.
There is oxidation/patina and some times it progresses to the point of white powder forming on the item.

Save your self a lot of grief, Start out with a separate work surface even if it portable. Hope this helps.
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline camy68

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
Thanks so much for giving me the scoop. It all makes perfect sense. Ah, two work benches and two sets of tools sounds expensive.  :(
So happy I found this site. Looks like there's a lot of very well informed people on here.

Camille