Author Topic: Hello to all!  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Pelallito

Hello to all!
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:46:10 PM »
Hello,
I finally finished joining after lurking for a while. I was told about this site at HMEM when I asked about Bogs. I am happy to see a lot of names that are familiar from there and hope to make many new friends here also. I have been meaning to post photos of some of the things that I have made, but my daughter always seems to have the camera when I am thinking about taking photos. :bang:
Best regards to all.
Fred

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Hello to all!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Welcome to  :proj: Pelallito.

I think you need to get camera of your own. :)

Yes Bog's is a tough character to keep track of. We all take turns watching him to make sure he doesn't escape.  :lol:

So you must be interested in more than IC and steam engines to stop by here, right? Can't wait to see what else you are interested in. Of course  :worthless:.

Again welcome aboard and most of all have fun.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Welcome aboard Fred!

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
Yes Welcome Fred

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
Hey Fred!

Welcome to the collective  :borg: I recognize you from HMEM. Glad you found us.

What kind of stuff are you into?

Eric

:mmr:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »
Hi Fred

Welcome this is a great group you'll have fun.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm greeting guys.
Eric,
I am interested in anything dealing with machining, plus knifemaking, gunsmithing. I have an Atlas 12" lathe, a bench top drill press with an X/Y table, and a small surface grinder. Also lots of hand and measuring tools. Unfortunately,I am also a great procrastinator. :bang:  I started some projects a while ago and am now trying to finish them.
I do have something up on photobucket that I will try to post. I found it!
These are all of a KMG clone that I built. They are photos of the work in progress. The last one should be of the factory grinder. I still need to take photos of the finished machine and buy/make more tooling for it. It is a 2"X72" belt grinder. I have it connected to a 3HP, 3 phase motor powered through a VFD. I also added a remote control so that I can control the speed right from the grinder.

Bernd,
The camera is mine, or so I thought when I bought it.:bugeye:
We need another smiley that It is hitting itself on the head with a hammer. That would be better for me, the wall doesn't look hard enough. :D
Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:45:17 PM by Pelallito »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »
Wow Fred:-

judging by that post you've got a serious dose of  :proj:

You'll fit in here

Thanks for the information:- that lynisher looks a useful bit of kit, a nice bit of fabrication work did you get the tensioner arm laser cut?.

Cheers :wave:

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:13:33 AM »
Hi Fred,

Lovely bit of work you have done there, that will surely shift some stuff when it is up and running.

That would have made a real nice project to show on here, maybe the next one you start you will show us what you are up to.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:38:45 AM »
Hey Fred  :thumbup:

long time no speaky!

Got to see that sander/lynisher working....Last time I saw it you were still woking on it!
Have you got very far in your knife making?

Does your camera take video? Do you remember? When was the last time you saw it?  :lol:

It'll be good to see any of your other projects too  :thumbup:

See you around the forum  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. After seeing the great things you make, it made me feel very good!

Stew,
I did all of the cuts in my shop with a horizontal band saw and an Atlas vertical band saw that I forgot to mention. I cut over size and used a 9" disk grinder and the surface grinder to finish to size. I made the drive wheel and the idler that is not shown. Also a 3" for the flat grinding platen that I will post photos off.
Here it is cut and pushed back together-

Here all apart-
Was that what you were asking about? Somehow, I don't think that it was. I worked from the plans that Michael Clerk posted on Don Foggs website. They are there as a sticky in the Tool and Tool Making section.

Ralph,
Its good to talk to you again. I have a big monster I started on, but I am not happy about how it is coming out. :bang: But I will finish it to continue learning from it. I still have not started on the ball cutting tool. I need to adapt the plans to an Atlas lathe. I do have this -http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html, that I am considering adding to my lathe. Then I could adapt Steve's ball turner to the different hole pattern. :ddb: I got a quick view of the camera this Sunday, because we got a new member of the family. My son got a Golden retriever puppy as his birthday present. Then it (the camera) promptly disappeared again. :( I will get it back in the next few days and take photos. I think that it can take video. I will attempt to do that and post it. Old Biker inspired one of the projects, Tel inspired another, but I made it out of steel, because I don't know how to cast aluminum. I may have to modify it a little bit to strengthen it.

Bogs,
 I am glad to hear from you. How are you feeling? I had a bad cold and have been in the shop for about two weeks. I am going back in before this weekend gets here. I want to see one of your write ups, when you feel up to it. I miss reading them.

Finding HMEM and MADMODDER has encouraged me to go back to enjoy making things. The projects that you guys have made and the way that you explain them has inspired me. :bow:
Regards to all.
Fred

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
That lathe adapter would sure make it easy to attach a ball turner Fred.

I would think that you would make the adjustments quite easily looking at your work with other things you have made.... Like the bits of the sander!

It's good to know that what we write helps, inspires or just generally keeps people interested too... That's a big reason why I personally try to make a good descriptive write up, I have learnt so much from so many posters that I feel like I owe it to them to try to inspire others the way the posts I have read inspired me.

It'll be good to see what you have been upto  :dremel:  :thumbup:

I'll be looking for the posts :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
Finding HMEM and MADMODDER has encouraged me to go back to enjoy making things. The projects that you guys have made and the way that you explain them has inspired me. :bow:
Regards to all.
Fred

And that my friends is why this is all worth it!

Eric
 :mmr:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
Hi Fred

Thanks for explaining how you made the arm, a band saw looks a useful bit of kit to have. A photo of the puppy would be great:-  :D  when you can get hold of the camera

Cheers
Stew

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
Very cool sander!

You are correct Fred.. as I said in a different post elsewhere.. this is where people go who love the artisan factor. The crafting of the parts. This isnt about making things 123786 at a time, and making money from it. But being a artisan.

I made one of the light piulls for my elderly mother. The first thing she said was to try to sell them.  ::)
I had to explain that something like that isnt worth the time and metal to try to sell. People can buy a plastic fan/light pull that is chrome plated etc, for pennies. Selling something made of stainless and brass, turned, polished, and hand made... would be prohibitive cost wise.
SPiN Racing

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 07:31:59 AM »
Spin,
Unfortunately, people now, want mass produced junk. They don't appreciate or want to pay for something like your light pull. I saw pictures of it and liked it very much. I wll be making a variation of it one of these days.
Regards,
Fred

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 07:37:23 AM »
So true Fred....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
Guys,
I took the photos! :clap: But, now I have to track down the cord to connect the camera to the PC. :zap:
As soon as I get them loaded, I will post on another section. I did find a photo of something that I have taken off a back burner. It will be on Backyard Ballistics.(If I said that right.)
Regards,
Fred 

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
sbwhart,
Finally a picture of the puppy. Lets see if I can upload it directly. That did not work. Will go PB route.
His name is Rascal, he living up to it! :lol:

Regards,
Fred

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Hi Fred Great looking puppy  :clap:  he'll give loads of fun and enjoyment and keep you fit walking him.

Thanks
for posting photo
Cheers

Stew

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »
aaaah bless!!