Author Topic: 1965 Delta Bandsaw  (Read 7430 times)

Offline mrbreezeet1

1965 Delta Bandsaw
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
Got this a few years ago, ( A FEW) finally getting around to fix en her up. It's the 14" model, 28-290.
Needed the Table stop pin, ran across Rog's I think his name is, did some reading, and made the stop my self. He also made the tapered pin for the table, but I was not up to trying that, (don't have a taper attachment, did not want to fool with offsetting the tail stock. Got one at ACE for a few dollars, BTW it is a # 6, fits well.
Got new "polly" tires, getting it all painted up, cleaned up, 
Will post more pictures later,
Here is the table stop I made, and the clamps I made that hold that metal box/belt guard to the base.
The table stop sets on a 5/16X18 bolt coming up through the casting with a jam nut on it to lock it. The Idea is If I want to tilt the table to the left, I tilt it 1st. to the right, and pull the table stop off the bolt, then tilt to the left.
The places that sell delta parts want $90.00 some dollars for it!!!
The clamp with the round head screws shown, is the OEM delta one, and the two I made (only one shown) sport the hex headed bolts.
The places that sell delta parts want around $15.00 each for the clamps!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: 1965 Delta Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
Making it yourself and saving money! What could be better?

Pictures of the press?

:nrocks:

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mrbreezeet1

Re: 1965 Delta Bandsaw I need a measurement
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
I don't know, I night make a longer table stop, looks like too much of the screw is showing.If you look at Rog's, it looks better.Maybe I'm too fussy?
Wish I could get the measurements of a Delta OEM table stop, any one have one to measure?
This one is 1/2" diameter,1 3/4" long, and bored to about 7/8" deep. 

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
Be sure to copy Delta parts and not Rockwell/Delta parts.  Rockwell value engineered everything at Delta when they took it over in the late-1960's!

Offline mrbreezeet1

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
Oh, really, See, I had always thought Rockwell was good, but I guess I have heard that Delta was better before.
This is from about 65, so guess were talking all Delta here.
Have not run the saw yet, but from what I can tell, seems to be real well made.
Still looking for the correct dimensions for the table stop.
Also if anyone has the stand shown below,  I need the dimensions of #257;cover,
#261;Stop ( looks like a metal strip,) and need to know or possibly if someone has it can take some nice big, clear photos, of how this thing is put together. There is part # 263;bumper, (there are 2 of them) and part # 262 2 latch, (there are 2 of them also).
Need to know how the bumpers and the latch's, and the stop (#261) work.
Also need to know the dimensions of the "Stop" too.
Mine is missing, and I have no Idea how it is put together.
I am sure I can come up with something on my own, but I would like it to look as close to factory as possible.

Offline davidh

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
I think I have the exact same saw.  Came from the local school.  I use it for sawing firewood for the sauna or apple branches for the smoker.  Actually I have a old Rockwell too.  Pictures would be easy I think.  Private email me if your interested.  Davidh. 

Edited by a Mod to remove email address so that spam-bot's don't harvest it and send you a deluge of spam emails.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:10:35 AM by spuddevans »

Offline mrbreezeet1

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:38:18 AM »
did send e mail before it was removed

Offline mrbreezeet1

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Found some dimensions for the table stop, think these are from the Delta OEM table stop.
OAL is 1.890, diameter is .500, and bore is .312 X  .800 Deep. I was not too far off, but I made a new one anyways.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:37:30 PM by mrbreezeet1 »