Author Topic: Street Cruiser  (Read 34618 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Street Cruiser
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
...I decided to braze them all up while I had the torch out...

That is something I have always wanted to learn to do. Would you do a little write up on brazing?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
Brazing is super simple:o) Make sure your pieces are clean and watch your heat. Too hot is bad. After you are done resist the urge to bang the part in water to cool it off. That will weaken a brazed joint. Just let it cool naturally. There are a ton of videos on YouTube.

Brazing video

This one was pretty interesting. I'll have to ty it.

Copper wire Brazing

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
I've been cleaning up the brazing a little the last few evenings. almost ready to paint. I am thinking about adding a mount for a rear caliper. Just in case I need to add a hand brake later on. With the seat so far back It might be a wheelie machine :med:

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »
It's been slow going the last few days:o( I went and got me a Cold :bang: To make it worse the weather has been Awesome!!! I might go out and poke around in the shop today though :wave:

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
The stainless for my new springer bolts showed up\o/

The old bolts were just barley long enough.

I wanted to go with stainless Ny-locks. They are a tad longer than the old nuts that were on the springer. The nylon part wouldn't have touched the bolt.

It's nice to be able to make your own parts. I'm making the shank a few thousandths of an inch bigger to take up the wear in the bushings.

Here I am single point threading the end.

I cut them off and faced the end up so they look nice:o) I made the heads a 1/16" longer than the originals so that my wrench would stay on better.

More later\o/

~Wes~
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:11:15 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
I put it back together to see what it looked like all cleaned up. I'm liking it:o)

I think I'll have to make a couple spike nuts?

Maybe I'll be able to start squirting some paint on this weekend:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Wes,

I'm liking it too.  :clap: :thumbup:

Looks great, nearly a shame to paint it.
 :beer:
DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
Thanks Dave! I think I have a classy looking paint scheme figured out for it so It should be fine:o) We'll see :wave:

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
Its coming together\o/ I got the white sprayed on today. Here's a sneak peak.

The green will go on as soon as I figure out my mask:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
Today I started masking off my design. I had an idea to make a cardboard template that I could trace my design onto the masking tape. I stuck the masking tape to some waxed paper, traced my template, then cut out the design. My way of thinking was that this would be perfect. Not so! The wax paper didn't have enough wax on it or the tape was too sticky? The tape would tear the paper if you could find an edge to separate the two.

I ended up using a scrap of plastic that I had lying around. I marked my design out and cut it out with a razor knife.

This actually worked very good. After a couple I started to get a little fancier with my design.

After it was all masked I sprayed my Sublime Green Pearl on. I took a lunch break and let the paint set up a bit. After lunch I unmasked everything. Here is a sneak peak at the fork.

I'll be able to wet sand it and squirt on the clear coat tomorrow after work:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Here's another peak:o)

This was pretty fun to paint. It's went pretty good so far. It takes a lot of work to make sure everything comes out nice. Especially the masking of the designs I put on. I'm using a $10 gun from harbor freight and pre-mixed paint. I can't wait to get the clear on:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
I was able to get the clear shot on after work today. It turned out pretty nice. Bikes are hard to paint. The sun was going down in this picture:o(

I'll start putting things back together Thursday or so. I want the paint to cure a little. I ordered some Green pedals. They should be here tomorrow. All I have left to buy is a chain and a kickstand.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Very smart Wes  :bow:
Looks great  :thumbup:
DaveH

Offline Pete49

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »
Love what you have done to the bike Mr Keg (or may I call you Powder  :D) Love the paint scheme and patterns you chose will make kermit look realy smart :)
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »
Almost done\o/ I'm waiting on a chain and my pedals still. I'll get the cranks in today.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
Wow, Wes, it looks great; what a transformation!  :clap: :clap:

Will it have brakes, or is there a backpedal one in the rear hub you mentioned?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
Brakes????? Who needs brakes???

LOL!!!

The hub has a coaster brake built into it. I'm making a clamp for it today.

Thanks,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Hi Wes

That bike is looking darn good. It is going to turn a few heads and they will be asking where you got it. Hope you have as much fun riding it as we have all had watching you build/rebuild it. It has been a pleasure watching you and has brought back a few memories.
 :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DaveH

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
Wes
A very nice paint scheme looks terrific :thumbup: :clap:

Great post and photo's  :bow: :bow: :bow:
DaveH

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
Today I cut out some white oak to make the back rack out of. Here I'm checking things out. Dig the pedals:o)

I'm liking the looks of things. I want to try something with the seat though.

Here I have the boards shaped and sanded smooth. I'll start applying the finish tonight. It will probably take five or six coats of Tung oil.

I can't wait for that chain to get here:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Wes... That bike looks fantastic!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
Thanks Eric!!! I still think it's missing something though? Besides a chain :smart: I drew up some neat looking aluminum and wood grips. I'll make them and see if that's it. Maybe it needs a bell also? We'll see :wave:

Thanks!!!

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
Perhaps 2 things...

1. A leather tool wrap on the handle bars

Something like this:

Mounted to the front...

2. A playing card in the rear spokes....
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
Got my Green chain today and installed it\o/ The bike works/looks great!!! The kickback hub is kind of fun. I'll post a few more pictures this weekend. I have a little art work planned for the wood rack. I have a lot going on right now:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
A couple of bolt-on's. My new Alien horn and chrome headlight.

More to come.....

~Wes~
Wesley P