Author Topic: How to use lay-in  (Read 6295 times)

Offline PekkaNF

How to use lay-in
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:49 PM »
Hello,

I may get some STFCR10CA second hand lay-in Cartridges:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/1358358/Sandvik_Coromant_STFCR_10CA-11_CoroTurn_107_Turning_Tool

And no! I'm not paying anywhere near that price, but they are used. Guy has a handfull of them and they look like a canditate for a boring bar.

I have an idea how to use them, but is there info how they are intended to be used. I would be using them in a boring bar application and I have a funny feeling that they could be used better than my first instinct is.

Pekka

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: How to use lay-in
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Good Morning Pekka!

I'm more than baffled :doh: by your comments.

Boring bars are only as good as the 'little bit at the end' and that little bit can be a cheap bit of hardenable carbon steel or a bit of hss or even-- a broken centre drill.

From previous correspondence, you appear to be a hobby machinist and there is a wealth of information about boring and internal screwcutting using 'traditional' tooling. Why not arm yourself with George Thomas's Model Engineers Workshop Manual and make up a set to his recommendations?

Me? I have one 'fancy' carbide affair. It was bought in the very false 'airey fairy' notion that it would revolutionise my machining.

In the cold light of OLD AGE-- I was ill advised.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »
Your commet often throws me somewhat off-balance....nice way, I don't feel too bad. :wave:

Incidently, I have that book and it's pretty often my bed time reading (after I read Garfield to my daughter). There is lot of information there and I have used lot of it.

Anyway, HSS has it's merits (used it first 15 years......) and I'm also discovering more or less proper use of carbide inserts (pretty much works contrary to HSS most of the time). I like tungsten inserts in the winter - I dont't like grinding in my garage and its frigging cold outside!

I never got good results with carbide tipped tools......but they are sold like hot cakes, someone must like them someting else than turning sand encrusted lumps of cast iron.

Anyway, THESE cartridges have good pocket for a carbide insert, they must have good geometry, made of right materials and if can device proper way of using them they even might turn usefull and I just might learn something.

PekkaNF

Offline DavidBraley

• Fort Collins, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
Hi Pekka,

It looks like what you are after is only a part of a bigger system. These insert cartridges (I'm only quessing that's what their called) fit into holders for both lathes and mills.

I wouldn't pay anything for them unless you can get the rest of the holding system.

Here is hopefully a useful link:

www.rigibore.com/media/Rigibore_Cartridges_Catalogue.pdf

I hope that link works.

David
-David

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.

Offline PekkaNF

Re: How to use lay-in insert cartridge
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
Hi David,

The link worked and I found some critical dimenssions I can work with. Thank you.

You are right, often these are mounted on boring bar or such and will do camfering or such sort of secondary operation on one go. I was pondering of using them fairly differently (i.e. not secondary operation), but mounting geometry probably should be kept same.

I heard that one guy WELDED this neat insert cartridge onto bar and used it as a boring bar.

Pekka

Offline DavidBraley

• Fort Collins, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
Pekka,

Welding the insert holder to something else would work fine. The holders are typically made from 4140. Not the best stuff to weld, but doable.

David
-David

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.