Author Topic: United States Navy Foundry Manual  (Read 4910 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
United States Navy Foundry Manual
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:47:23 AM »

By Bureau of the Navy
reprint of the 1957 version of 1944 original
Lindsay Publications
copyright©1989
ISBN#1-55918-007-2

This one was intended to be used on the float, by the then self repairing US Navy on board the tenders. When you could get just about anything fixed or made on board one.
Being an old anchor cranker of the Nam era, I will say I'm a little biased towards the Navy instructional books. As they are well written packed with the info and direction on what ever subject. They are also written with the common man in mind. Not a theoretical pile of mumbo jumbo.

It was written with info from the standard industrial practice at the time.The procedures were designed to be workable with. Limited equipment on a ship at sea. It is divided into two parts, The first on general info of the how and why that can be applied to all metals.
The second section is information that is applied to specific metals and alloys including steel.

They both cover the other topics sands, gates,chills,patterns,cores,
risers,molding practices. The aim of the manual is to be a How to do it, so the why has been keep to the minimum for each area covered.

Charts, photos B&W and drawings abound. For the cost a great shop reference book you can almost hardly be with out.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen