Author Topic: Sieg X3 Supper Mil  (Read 30150 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Sieg X3 Supper Mil
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
Hi Chaps

The Sieg has landed  :clap: :ddb: :headbang: :beer:

It arrived at about 4.00 PM this afternoon, so only had enough time to open the crates, and try its stand  in the shop, before it went dark.

Spent all day trying to short the shop out to make space it like the little shop of horrors at the moment, you wouldn't believe the size of the spiders I've evicted they'd give an Ausi a  fright :bugeye:   (is ther any Ausi's out there)

Nest weekend will be spent stripping it down, and giving it a clean, I'll post pics of the process.

In the mean time I'll visit John,s "Little Shop of Magic" tomorow night and have a good look at that Elbow engine.

Bernd Making a teapot would count as another project.  :proj:

Cheers :wave:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Sieg X3 Supper Mil
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
Supper mill?  It makes dinner, too?

Sorry, had to post that to hide my jealousy!  Nice piece of equipment.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
Nice one Stew, let the hard work begin. But think of all the enjoyment afterwards.

I used to have a big spider that lived in one of the stand legs of my brazing hearth, but since I have had a shop move around, I haven't seen it.

I will get the elbow lubed up tomorrow, just so it looks like an easy build.  :lol: :lol:

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »

I will get the elbow lubed up tomorrow, just so it looks like an easy build.  :lol: :lol:

John

I thought it is an easy build :scratch: It's getting it running that's the hard part. :thumbup:

Stew: Nice machine you got there. Need an index mechanism?  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
Bernd

Ha Ha   :clap:

Thats one project I can avoid got a little rotary table with index plates.

But I do need one of those two clock tramming gauges.

:doh:

:proj:   

Strikes again.

Cheers
Stew
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:46:24 PM by sbwhart »

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
Stew,

:ddb: :proj: :ddb:

Due to a member on here wanting one, I will, in the not too distant future be doing a project about making one.

As this is a 'patented' product in the open market, I hope that my modifications will take it beyond that legislation.
It does require a rather high degree of machining to get two bits totally square to each other, but I will be showing you an easy way of doing it using your mill and lathe.

Cedge (Steve) did try to introduce another site that we all know of, to this wonderful bit of kit, but it was frowned upon because it made the job of tramming your mill too easy. Being pooh-poohed by all the old farts and stalwarts, who thought that bits of bent wire and mirrors was the correct way to do it. Oh! you were also required to bend over backwards and be a contorsionist.
Maybe they were into masochism and self flagellation with barbed wire. I am not. Anything that makes the job easier has my vote.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »

I used to have a big spider that lived in one of the stand legs of my brazing hearth, but since I have had a shop move around, I haven't seen it.

John
[/quote]

Is this your spider John it's too small for one of Mine

:D

Cheers

Stew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:56 PM »
John
I have totally enjoyed that tram tool. It is easy to use and the results are excellent. I was really kind of amused to watch the negative reaction by those who had not tried it. I guess if it wasn't good enough great great grand pappy it isn't gonna work today. Discount the fact that gramps would have killed for DROS and such had they been around in his day.

Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:44 PM »
John
I have totally enjoyed that tram tool. It is easy to use and the results are excellent. I was really kind of amused to watch the negative reaction by those who had not tried it. I guess if it wasn't good enough great great grand pappy it isn't gonna work today. Discount the fact that gramps would have killed for DROS and such had they been around in his day.

Steve

I think I was the only who responded positively to that one yes? I am dying to build one... I hate traming my mill. John, make that 2 of us here that are interested in your build.

Stew... You are a lucky man. I would love a SX3!

Eric

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:25:51 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »
Wooo Congrats on the new mill!!!

:offtopic: Oh heck yes I will watch avidly on the tramming device. I rigged up my own piece of kit to tram mine.. but it still is a PITA.
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »
OK Chaps

Well I made a start on prepping the mill:- first job was to take the plastic cover off and find what goodies was delivered with it, a resonable set of spanners and wrenches and a set of four leveling jacks, at first I thought there was no manual but another search found it tucked away under the bed of the mill. The manual is writen in good English not like the manual for my 3 in 1 in that case English was a second language, having said that appart from the usualy safety stuff thers not a lot in it and exploded drawing and a parts list and a wiring diagramme.

It got some of the dredded red grease on it but I don't think its to excessive, cleaned the stuff I could get to off with paraffin,brush and rag. I;m impressed with the finish on the mill.

Had a bit of an exploration took the back cover off to look at the wiring  :bugeye:  :bugeye: now I'm no electrician in fact the darn stuff bafles me, there are far more wires than I expected, I need to uncouple the wiring so that I can get the head off to get the weight down, took the cover off the head were the motar is situated, it will be even worse to unwire it from here room a bit tight. Had a look at the wiring diagrame it made as much sence as a piece of modern art:- all colours and patterns very prity but what does it mean.  :scratch:

Tilted the head to see if I could get at the motar wiring better, but no, its going to have to be an unwiring job from the back, that I've decided to put off untill tomorrow when the lights better and I've got more time I'm going to have to take loads of pics and lable things up.

Wish me luck
Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
If the worst came to the worst and you need to lift as a lump, a lifting frame on the same principle as a sedan chair can be utilised. Rather than arms lifting, it uses the extra power of the legs. Also keeps the back straight.
It can also be used in a fairly confined space. A couple of 3.5ft or 4ft scaffold poles and a bit of wood as a spacer between them.

Otherwise, a notepad, a roll of masking tape (for marking up wires) and copious notes on the stripdown.

I would definitely help if I could, but I would just get in the way.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips John:-

I'm going the masking tape and notes way. But before I do any thing else I'm going to put thing back as they were and see if I can power it up to make shure it all works before I start pulling it to bits.  :hammer:

Cheers

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
That's a nice looking mill there Stew...I'm sure it'll occupy you for many a year to come  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
Stripping down the mill:-

I reassembled the mill after my quick look, plugged it in and checked that it all worked, only problem was with digital read out which wouldn’t switch off or Zero, well that can be sorted out later.  :hammer:

To remove the head:- disconnect from the wiring panel at the back of the machine. Wiring is not my cup of tea so I took loads of pics and labelled and made drawings as I made the disconnections, thankfully most of the cables were already labelled so hopefully this will help reassembly, only had to cut one connection I will have to remake the connector.

With the wiring disconnected the truncking was threaded through the panneling, but first the inspection hatches replaced over the circuit boards and things to protect them. The panelling was held on with four cap screws and  lifted off exposing the vertical lead screw.

To remove the head it was lowered onto a wooden box to take the weight, the clamping nuts were slackened and the locking lug retracted, the nuts removed, a bit of a wiggle  :ddb: and a pull at it was off.   

Stripping the slides off was very straight forward just followed the instruction on the ARCEURO trade manual for the X3 machine

All the red grease was cleaned off, some of which had hardened off this was causing the rack and pinion locking lug for the tilting mechanism on the head to stick, this was sorted with a quick clean and a bit of grease.

Well so far I’m very impressed with the fit and finish of the machine far better than that on my 3 in 1 this is particularly noticeable with the jib, on the 3 in 1 there as rough as a bears back side.

Well I’ve got the weight down into more manageable pieces next job reassembly. :borg:

Thats me done for the night off to Manchester to see group called Kene at the Manchester areana  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And my team wone 2 - 1  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

Cheers
Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
Hi Chaps

Now for the big move and reassembly.  :hammer:

The plan originaly was to keep the base and column in one piece, but a quick try with the weight convinced us that this would be foolishly dangerous, so the column was split from the base, by removing the four cap screws and withdrawing the dowles, by screwing a M2 screw into their ends and pulling them out.  With the column removed the weight was a lot more managable by far the heaviest part being the column.  :headbang:

The part were moved down the garden on a roller troly.   :whip:

The cabinat was placed on rollers (cut down broom handles) close to the door with two planks as a runway, and the mill reassembled on it.

The wiring is at the back of the mill so the next job is to wire it up before rolling it up to the wall.

The grafitee at the back of the shop my daughter did about 20 years ago  :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
Nice one Stew :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bet you can't wait to get it up and running.

BTW, did you have any bolts left over? If not it must be right. :thumbup:

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
No bolts left over.  :thumbup:

Worked methodical and slowly, as I stripped bits off I losly reassembled the parts to keep the bits together or bagged them with a label, before starting on the next bit. Still a way to go though so time yet for a  :zap:

Rewiring it up is causing me some worry,  :(

only way to find out if it will work is to do it.

Cheers

Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Wey hey!! Fido Dido!!!  :lol:

Oh... Nice mill Stew  :thumbup:  :)

Surely a 2 man lift  ::)  .... No, seriously you did it the correct way, my dad nearly broke his arm lifting mine  :bugeye:  (but that might just be him, he put an axe through his thumb this afternoon :doh:, got him back from the hospital bout 8ish... 3hrsin there! minus thumb nail  :(  )

You don't want that kind of incident, that's for sure.

Is it a parallax thing or will the mill not fit under the shelf at the back?

No bolts left over?? How are you ever going to fill your spares drawers?  :scratch:

Re-wiring should be easy Stew.... You've got a picture of it before in your post  :thumbup:

Looking forward to the first cut :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »
Hi Ralph

Yes it was a two man lift especialy the column the rest one man could just about manage, I whipped  :whip: my daughter fiance into helping.

You've developed precision eyeballs  :bugeye: to long associating with John, Yes it wont go under the shelve it stands about 8" from the wall the shelve is 10", so the old saw will have to do some work  :hammer:.

I'm going to take the milling head off the 3 - 1 and blank the hole with some plate, this will allow me to get another selfe along the wall. By the time I'm finished you won't have space to hold a  :ddb:

No not a banna a dance.

Cheers
Stew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »
Stew
As you well know by now, the SX3 is not a machine you'd want to call "portable" . Those who have not moved one will find it hard to realize just how stout they really are.  If it was much heavier, they really couldn't safely call it a bench top. Glad to see it is coming back to life. :thumbup:

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »
Hi Chaps

Well I've rewired the mill and it works  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

The only problem I had was with the interlock on the spindle guard:- I took the guard off so it wouldn't get damaged with the move, I didn't make a note of how it was set I just assumed that when the micro switch was open the machine would power NO it work the other way micro switch closed for power  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I checked and rechecked my connections all looked ok everything was lighting up the motor just wouldn't kick in, so decided to try interlock other way and haypresto we have a rewired mill.

:zap:  :zap:   :zap:

Put a new battery in the DRO and thats working fine

Just got to assemble the X and Y tables and make adjustments and I'm back in buisness.

Now for the bad news when I stripped the mill down I found it had been assembled with a part that had been made wrong at the factory and someone had cobbled it together so that it would work, how long the fix would work for who knows, it may work ok for years, but it may fall apart next week. I don't want to post details just yet as the suppliers are waiting a response from the factory, watch this space.

Cheers
 :wave: :wave:
Stew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »
Stew
I had the same experience with the quill guard. That sinking feeling is no fun...LOL. I'll be watching for the update on the "cobbled" part.

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
It's nice when it works.... :D

Well done, even splitting it down I bet it still wasn't easy to move about.... :borg:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
:ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb: 

Does that mean it spins like a dancing banana Stew??  :lol:

Now for the bad news when I stripped the mill down I found it had been assembled with a part that had been made wrong at the factory and someone had cobbled it together so that it would work, how long the fix would work for who knows, it may work ok for years, but it may fall apart next week. I don't want to post details just yet as the suppliers are waiting a response from the factory, watch this space.

Mmmmm.... This has a certain ring about it..... Eh John?!   :doh:

Good luck Stew!

Keep us posted on it's work.... Assuming your going to use it?

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!