Author Topic: EZ Coolant For Small Mills  (Read 10929 times)

Offline ukazak

EZ Coolant For Small Mills
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
Simple, EZ Coolant for Small Mills.

For a while I was keep burning my HSS end mills… I had this new machine and had no experience at all.

I used as it is for quite a while meanwhile keep ruining expansive HSS end mills, and plenty of materials to go with it. I thought maybe that is how it is. I didn’t know how to reshape or sharpen them, so, I keep taking them to this blade sharpening shop… after a while guy at the shop asked what I was working on, and why so fast I was dulling my end mills…

And that was not normal, I should be doing something wrong.

Well, keep the story short (I am telling for newbies so they might not fall for the same mistakes) I was working on QCTP for my lathe. For couple of changer unit I burn 3 dovetails… Than, that was the last drop. I called and asked to a pro, (I didn’t know this site than, yet) what is going on and how they do it. He asked me, what kind of coolant I was using.. I said none. His answer and example for it was too good to be told here. Bot mainly I was to use some sort of “coolant” to get a good results and save my end mills. For that night to finish what I had left, last dovetail he advised to use spray bottle.
I finished the work by that primitive cooling, but not lost another dovetail.

After thinking and searching a bit I come up for practical temporary fixing until I purchase a cooling unit for my mill, (but from where and I didn’t know if there was such an unit exist at all)

Anyways, this fixture I come up with, working so good that I am not looking for another at all. I have been using for year and a half now and very happy with it. I thought maybe others would like to try for their small mills, since cost no more than 10$ and couple of hours of work.

You will find an removed protection cover bolt space somewhere suitable on the machine to lightly bolt or you may use some kind of strong magnet contact (so, it wont move by the vibration)

It works nice and quiet and won’t make mess spread the water all around when spinning (somehow sticking with the end mill, when contact the work piece)… all the water stays in the table and get easy discharged.

(Discharges faster than fills, so no problem of over flooding) just don’t forget to put some kind of filter to the mill’s table discharge gate to prevent fine chips to going into the tank or clog the tubing, which has never happened until now.

Keeps all the chips stay within the table they won’t fly all around.

water pump

Most important of all; it will keep your HSS end mills like brand new, with more tolerating for deeper cuts.

I use “borax oil” (Liter is around 3$ goes for about year for moderate use.)

add a cola lid full or two into plain 2 liter water, turns into milk like liquid. You probably know what it is, you may have seen over the pro shops of raw material cutting saws.

I don’t know, maybe there are easier and less expensive ways of doing it. But take it as a thought.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:34:58 PM by Brass_Machine »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: EZ Coolant For Small Mills
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
That is awesome! I will be reading this again as I am looking to add coolant to my mill when I finish redoing the CNC.

Thanks!

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
Unal,

Good job, nicely shown and posted. Flood coolant on a mill does give good results. :thumbup: :clap:

Your tank looks like a "fish tank" I'm wondering how the fish are managing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm kidding :) :) :)

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline ukazak

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Unal,

Good job, nicely shown and posted. Flood coolant on a mill does give good results. :thumbup: :clap:

Your tank looks like a "fish tank" I'm wondering how the fish are managing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm kidding :) :) :)

:beer:
DaveH

Thanks Dave,

fish were silent,, wondering why.. I better check on them sometime soon.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline ukazak

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
that water 4 Months old.. keep adding when below the level. but needs to be changed completely. :palm:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
Hi Unal

Thats a very elegant/ affordable  solution to adding a coolant system to the mill   :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
Hi
Hi Unal
That is better than a washing up liquid bottle
Very well shown & described
John

Offline Jonny

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »
Good solution, cheap and practical.
Also one of a few instances noticed where the outlet will follow where table goes, so dont have to keep repositioning. :clap:

It dont matter what you do, the swarf will always block things up.
Was going to go 3/4BSP" with silicon piping flowing on to lower tray. Then in to a catch can like container, sediment can drop and be cleaned.

In a panic i did try a mister/pulsator  the other week, always gets in the way chippings cover what you want to see and not much better than no coolant.
However bought because pump on lathe went down and cant get a replacement quick, recommended.

Offline ukazak

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
Thanks to all,
I need to add; I feel anyone can figure out but, let me say what I forget to say;

It will move as the head moves up and down, only fine feed as it goes down needs a little adjustment. you can swing towards the column to get it out of the way when changing tools. (only one screw not too tight) like pendilum.

I use mosquito screen piece to bloke swarf, never clog anything yet... bucket is out of the way, if you keep the discharge tube flexible lenght, it wont interfere with table's movement. remind; need to keep discharge bucket little lower than the gate to flow back to bucket.

pump completely submerged in the bucket..

only, if you using saw cutting just  make a roll of clear flexible plastic around the work and the vice (like a large pipe ) to keep all water on the table.

Offline bvd1940

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
                                                        :lol:
What is "I use “borax oil” (Liter is around 3$ goes for about year for moderate use.)"
Where to buy??? Will it cause rust???? :drool:
Given the proper motivation & time anything can be fixed

Offline ukazak

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:52 AM »
                                                        :lol:
What is "I use “borax oil” (Liter is around 3$ goes for about year for moderate use.)"
Where to buy??? Will it cause rust???? :drool:

It is water soluble oil. used for cuts, grindings, drillings, turnings etc of metals. non rusting properties, gives tools long life etc.

Offline ukazak

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »
there are different types of these oils "Boran" based some 200, 340, 2500, 2800 etc. best is bi-metal cutting- colour is turns white when water soluted, you can check on them in the net. here found easy, it is sold open barel. I dont know if they are bottled. if so, would be more added to the price.
while they cool, they also ease on cutting and protecting.
For UK check;

http://www.cuttingfluidsuk.co.uk/

Offline V 45

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »
 I have the same mill as yours (clone BF 20...aka..Grizz G0704)...looks like that will do the trick just fine !! Can you bring the flow down to a mist without burning the pump up ?
Great job !!

Offline ukazak

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
I have the same mill as yours (clone BF 20...aka..Grizz G0704)...looks like that will do the trick just fine !! Can you bring the flow down to a mist without burning the pump up ?
Great job !!

Thanks,
Tip on the nozzle provide fairly good pressure that you can adjust, I also attached a flow controlling faucet type switch (I don’t know what it is called) small plug on the tube in easy to reach spot between motor and the tip. Since my aim was to easy cutting while flood cooling didn’t need much of a power on the motor, just enough to get the fluid up the hill to top of the headstock and down to reach the nozzle.
Sometimes close it to stop flow while motor running and no signs of any resentment from the motor felt. Seems wouldn’t be any problem there, but for creating the mist you will need more pressure. If doesn’t bother you tubing gets on your way, maybe you can chose straight and shorter line to the nozzle and that will give you more pressure. Remember also the fluid is kind of thicker (milky) stuff.
More pressure  might mean little bigger submergible aquarium motor, will cost few dollars more.