Author Topic: Casting Brass  (Read 3812 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Casting Brass
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »
Casting Brass
by C W Ammen
Tab Books#1810
copyright ©1985
ISBN#0-8306-0810-9

Yet again, another one by him. On probably the most interesting metal to be used by the metal artist. At some point in the various stages or life of the metal artist. One thinks that they would like to do a piece in bronze. Then find that for one item the cost at a real art foundry are too high.
Interestingly enough this one doesn't really get into the furnace types or the melting of the metal.As a separate chapter it is covered in the sections on the general alloys.
It does cover Copper, Brasses and Bronzes and all the alloys of the two yellow metals. What amazed me was the amount of difference in properties that the addition of a little other material could make in an alloy. From the strength to the machining of it.
Then again what happens when you use scrap of a unknown alloys or an assortment in the melting pot.
Again he finishes up with some insights and observations on the small casting business. Then moves on to the sand mixes for brass/ bronze casting.
This is another one that may be at a library near you! see one of the previous ones for the world cat addy if needed.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen