Author Topic: Lister 6/1 Genset  (Read 60979 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Lister 6/1 Genset
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »

Well I wanted a "close" finish for the key head. Guess you could say I got exactly that.

In my defense, the casting was a bit uneven and it jumped in the vice  :lol:

:) OK
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
It worked, Wahoo !! It actually worked AND nothing broke either  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I'm over the moon.... :)

I have to say it was tough though, the high tensile bolts almost gave up, One did and I had to change it.
But the Car hub took it in it's stride. They sure are tough those castings.
Must be really nice cast iron in them, I'll keep a look out for some more. They could make a nice backplate if you could find one with a smaller hole in the center. But I'm sure there could be a way around that.

I found the trick was to tighten both bolts evenly and tight first. Then tighten the bottom one only, thereby acting as a lever with enormous leverage. If you try to tighten the top one alone the bolt will just destroy itself.

Did I say how chuffed I am...... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »
Well done Darren, :clap: :clap: :clap:

All that hard work, just to take out a little bit of metal.

Grins all round   :D :D :D

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
Spot on Darren  :headbang: that tamed it  :whip:

Did it let go with a crack ?. Or did go quietly

:clap: :clap:

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »
ingenious and effective :bow: :bow:...... Nice work
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »
Yep John, sometimes just that little bit takes most of the effort  :dremel:

Twin, sorry watsyaname?
Not my idea, I just adapted it from a commercial product I saw on tweb....I like to think I improved on it, well it worked anyways.

Stew,
No crack, in fact when it first moved I wasn't sure what was happening. Was the key moving or was the tooling bolts destroying themselves. At first I thought the latter, then realised the key was moving.
Gave me that nice warm feeling we get sometimes  :D

Even so, it was still tough going, even when the key was fully out I had a job to get it off the crankshaft keyway as it was pretty stuck even in there.

Here's a picture of the underside of the key, as you can see it had rusted in two spots, but nothing you'd call heavy rusting.
The rest of the key is in remarkably good condition and judging by the paint it's original.

Here's the top of the key, note the oil groove. This one was showing, just. But on the other side, the other flywheel, the key is in much deeper....umm, wonder what joys await us there...... :bang:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
Glad it worked for you Darren. Jack off screws do work when properly tightened.  :ddb:

I'm sure those hubs need to be quite tough. Can you imagine hitting a pot hole in the road at 60MPH. That hub has to take quite a shock.

Hope the second side comes out for you as easy.  :thumbup:

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
Darren,

It isn't an oil groove, it is a compression slot, to allow controlled deformation of the key. As the key is driven in, and it tightens against the other components, instead of putting excess pressure on the flywheel casting and maybe causing it to crack, the key metal deforms into that groove. Like an all metal safety valve.
Remember when I said earlier in the post about drilling into the key to relieve pressure, that is what the groove is doing, but in a very controlled way.

The other side should come out in just the same way. It only takes a couple of thou more on the depth of the slot in the shaft or keyway in the flywheel, and because of the angle, it will require it to be further into the slots before it locks the parts together.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the slot John. That make real sense, I can see how that would work.... :thumbup:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:07 AM »
Thats fantastic!!!

I am really happy to see you got that guy out of there.

"SWMBO" as Rumpole and others would say... (I had to look it up.. and remembered watching that when younger) was asking me why the whoop in the kitchen.
I said Oh well Umm... ahh....       Well.

A friend got a really stuck part removed.. um.. yeah.  :D

She gave me that look and said Oh cool good for him.  :coffee:

It makes me crazy to have something like one of those nagging me, and not able to come out.
I work 3 days a week.. but I do nothing but work and sleep.. (And check the forum between times) and so cant pick away at things too easily.

Im really glad it worked out.
SPiN Racing

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 04:34:18 AM »
Good work that man  :thumbup:

I have already commited that hub design to memory.... You never know when that will be useful?

I forgot there were two flywheels!! .... Hope the other side plays nice!?!

Compression slot.... Old style engineering at it's best :)  (I'll get told off now..... They were probably using them when certain members were apprentices!!!  :lol: .... Probably still do now!)

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this thread.... I want to see it all figured out, stripped down, cleaned up, re-built and running..... That's the plan right?  :scratch:   :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »
Don`t know if I`ve posted already, to say how much I`m enjoying this thread.....  :thumbup:

But I am as relieved as you Darren, re the key removal.  :clap:

Incidentally, you`ve just cost me the price of a centre finder....... Never seen one like that before!  ::)

Thank you. Keep on keeping on.....  :D

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks guys, it's great to have some feedback. Makes the postings all the more worthwhile...

David, those center finders I have used are not that accurate, you may need to remark it for lining up.
But it's ok for general work like I've been doing. For real accuracy one like Johns (Bogs) been showing off would be far better.

Ralph, all in good time I intend to do a full strip down....

Got some cast iron wheels today from the auction, bargain. Whether I use them is another matter  :doh:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »
David, those center finders I have used are not that accurate, you may need to remark it for lining up.
But it's ok for general work like I've been doing. For real accuracy one like Johns (Bogs) been showing off would be far better.

Darren,

I thought that!

I still have my 30yr old, ex employment Starret wobbler, but this seems a nice little item for when total accuracy isn`t needed.  ::)

David.
David.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »
Ah yes, Sorry I forget who is who most of the time.....trying to teach Granny to suck eggs wasn't intended.... :med:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
Ah yes, Sorry I forget who is who most of the time.....trying to teach Granny to suck eggs wasn't intended.... :med:

Nor was it thought, at the time.......  :thumbup:

I will need all the tips and wrinkles I can get, when my mini mill arrives!
Producing products on a machining centre as big as a garden workshop, is poor training for our machining world!

David.
David.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
Back to the water Lister 6/1 coolant flanges tonight.

Some of you may remember that I was in need of a 1" BSP tap to clean the threads up. Well one came up on Ebay recently and I put a couple of quid on it and then forgot all about it. Well I "won" it. Strange term to describe these events as I hadn't won anything, I had to pay for it....

Anyways, I paid for it and it arrived this morning.

Nice clean and sharp, looks unused....this pic conveys the size of a 1" tap. As I said before, I wouldn't like to use it to make a new thread !!

Whipped it through with a large wrench

Really cleaned the thread up, look loads of muck off. It's not perfect, but it'll be fine

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
Hi Darren

Looking at the size of that beast I don't think it was that size I had, Pleased you got fixed up  :clap:

Cheers
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
Darren,

You need to work a little faster there. We are up to 5 pages already and you only have that darn thing apart.  :wack:

It should have been running by now.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
Due to my illness I can't put much time into it Bernd, soz   :coffee:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
Bernd, I was ribbin ya mate...!!

Been waiting for the kickback but ya gone all silent on me... :scratch:

British dry humor, they say the yanks don't get it, or perhaps it don't travel well over the interweb.... :bang:

Or is it just me  :(

bogstandard

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
 :offtopic:

Darren,

I think you have hit it spot on.

It seems that American humour is mainly stand up and in your face, whereas ours is back door and sarcastic.

But as it is, we get on fairly well.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

Not you. Some of us get it sometimes. I work with 2 Brits and am slowly getting acclimated to their humor. One them is quite found of telling me that Yank humor isn't up to his standards!

Keep trying, we are a smart bunch here and we will figure it out!

Eric
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:58:41 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Bernd, I was ribbin ya mate...!!

Been waiting for the kickback but ya gone all silent on me... :scratch:

British dry humor, they say the yanks don't get it, or perhaps it don't travel well over the interweb.... :bang:

Colour me stupid on that one Stew. Went right over my head. I figured you were really sick. Let's just say it didn't travel well over the interweb and I had my wires plugged in the wrong end.  ::)

So let me ask you. Is it because you are takeing the Lister all apart and checking every part?

Ok now, this is were you laugh right?  :)

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »
British humor is fine!!

If its typed out its easier to get though.. only because... well I have had a slew of friends over the years from across the pond.. some who have never been to the states.. and I have to say.. some of the pronunciation doesnt jive. And then there are terms used in a casual way that I simply have no idea what they mean... so sometimes the jokes fall flat cause I dont understand the word. And am puzzling it out.. THEN I get it about 10 seconds later.

Kinda kills the joke.

For me at least.. unless you ahve one of those REALLY thick accents.. I dont really have any issues understanding. My wife has a good friend from Scotland.. Her accent is incredibly sexy.. but THICK. WOW. And put a few beers in her and her accent needs a cold saw to cut through! But I can understand her... my wife cant though. (Actually her husband cant either..but I did grow up on British tv shows re-aired over here on PBS stations in the late 60s, and 70s.)
SPiN Racing