Author Topic: More of a great save then new from old!  (Read 5237 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
More of a great save then new from old!
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Well I guess since I just tried it and it is working again, you could say a new from old. Or a micro wave is reborn  :clap:
:dremel: I went to heat up my coffee this morning as the carafe only keeps it lukewarm as the level drops. I put it in the nuker and nada, zip nutting.
 :doh: upon looking over the deal it appears that the latch mechanism, stopped working.  Now it could be the fuse they don't talk about. Which is underside of the outer skin. They also generally have a two language instruction that if the fuse blows you should replace the micro switches that are the primary and secondary interlocks.

Well the latch bar on the door two hooks that ride on the inside part of safety set up no longer had any tension on it.

Which means a broken plastic spring retaining hook!

Popped the inner door bezel trim ring off, removed the rest of the broken plastic mount, used Tech bond plastic adhesive to reconnect the crack door edge. Found a good length screw and 3 nuts and a washer.

Outside of door.

Drilled a slightly undersized hole and threaded the screw in making sure the washer was on the outside of the door, as in the first photo. Then reinstalled the latch bar, hooked the spring over the screw and placed a nut and lock nut on.

Tried it and it latched properly, reskinned it,put the bezel trim ring on heated up the coffee. Will be painting the screw head and washer black as soon as the paint markers warm up some.  Worked great, now I can save the money towards the trading tables at the NAMES expo in 2 weeks :thumbup:

So that's my save of the week!
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Pete49

Re: More of a great save then new from old!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
Good save PT. I am always aghast at the number of things thrown out when most can be repaired easily but I guess not how to get the latest must have toy. I like you try to repair before replacing.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline caskwith

Re: More of a great save then new from old!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Nicely done! I always have a crack at a repair on most things, after all if it is broken you have nothing to lose.