Author Topic: Cutter grinder  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Cutter grinder
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:48 AM »
Hi all

Just besided im fed up with trying to grind tools freehand with bad surface finish etc.

Just putting it all together.

1)  I have a 8" Clarke grinder with coarse and med wheels and a 4" white fine wheel(100  Is my guess)cup wheel.

2) Has to built from the scrap box.

So Im thinking a base that is easy to change hight and distance,  One for each grinder (will have to be different disigns but the action are needs to be simular.  Separate from that a tool holder that can be set for side clearance and cutting angle.  This will also need to be able to address the wheel from both sides and the front (that is the easy part) but then has to be free to be moved to the other grinder and still keep the angles perfect.

I just wanted to put something here so i'm committed and try to prevent  :proj:

Will post as I get on hoping to have some time today to get started.

Any advise will propable save my A?????

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Cutter grinder
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »
Hi Gerhard

If want a good book on the subject try :- Tool and Cutter Sharpening by Harold Hall  :- Workshop Practice Series No 38
ISBN : 978-185486-241-9.  Its got a good design for a fixture to use on a off hand grinder.

There's no known prevention for  :proj:

Hope this helps

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
Thanks Stew will look out for it and propably regret the work in the mean time.

This is based on Martin Cleeve's design in Screwcuttin in the lathe from th same WPS number 3.

This base rests on the part of the grinder that is locked in position 90 deg to the grinding wheel and the thin point gives a hinge- the whole tool holder unit is swiveled up and down the side of the wheel but the tool holder keeps the tool in the right angle and side relief angle.

The block can rotate to andress the tool to the wheel left or right 0-90 degs

I had to make a fly-cutter to try to get a better finish on the ALU ( boat building material) very gummy
wish I had the cutter grinder to shape that bit. :bang:

Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
Base nr 1 so far:

Test cut using an old HSS 3/8" tool. This is using only the coarse wheel as I have only one base.  The mark is from a previous free hand grind.  I can also make any other accesories as long as they fit onto standerd 25mm BMS bar.

enough for now have to find a way of polishing the flat surfaces that doesn't envolve painfull arms.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
Hi Gerhard

How's the cutter grinder comming along  :poke: as you were making a real nice job of it I'd like to see how it ended up

Cheers

Stew

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:31:58 AM »
Hi Stew

Just started new job  - never been so busy before so no me time.  This project is in the completed for the moment stage.

Just completed as is with a base in front of eash wheel so the pillar and the tool holder has to be moved from the coarse wheel to the med and fine wheel,  it is a bit of a pain and I fully intend to mod it later but for now it works a treat.  I only sharpen lathe tools no milling cutters or fancy bits.

I need to make a tumbler reverse for the 9x20 lathe next ( My lathe is in the house(study) and I need to be able to keep the noise down.) but will start a new tread for that.

Gerhard

Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:50:35 AM »
Hi Gerhard

Thanks for the up date hope the new job is going well.

Stew