Author Topic: Digger  (Read 18990 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Digger
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »
Been a little quiet lately however I have not been totally idle.
A while ago I purchased a smalley 5 towable digger which was modified for severn trent to use for clearing weeds from the rivers etc. This meant it was almost useless for doing the jobs I needed to do with it but it was cheap so whatever.
Anyway I got around to dismantling it and am now starting on rebuilding it to make it more useful to me.
so today (in between rain showers and hail) I welded the mounting for the slew ring.

sorry for the massive pictures now been altered
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:22:32 PM by shipto »
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Digger
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »
Managed to dodge the showers and get a bit more done today,
started with the base sides (pic 1) which I had put two stop pins (pic 2) and the slew ring base I did last week and made them into the main base (pic 3). This just needs a final support for the back of the slew ring base and then cleaning up and painting and I can bolt the slew ring to it and get started on the more interesting stuff. I still have to work out how the out riggers on the front are going to fit to this base but that should not be a major headache. I really should get it all done before painting but if I do that I will start using it and it will never get painted.

The final pic shows a bit of the adjustable rear axle in place which I am praying to the god of rain I will be able to get done tomorrow.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
Got a decent bit done today. Did some more work on the adjustable axle to the point of getting the wheels mounted.
Although I got the one wheel welded on the wrong way around  :Doh: which will require a strip down to put the brake the right way around now.
when I first started building this one of my first thoughts was to make it able to roll out of a gateway so pic 1 shows the wheels how they will be to get in and out of a garden gate during normal use they will be the other way around. I am planning to put two 16mm pins in each side to hold the wheel assemblies into the axle but I will wait until I have it on the wheels and front supports to drill the holes for those.
I also added the rear slew ring support and painted the base too (pic 2) tomorrow I will bolt the slew ring itself to this.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Hi Shipto.

I'm finding it hard work, imagining what you are working on.  :scratch:

Have you got an original pic of the digger, assembled?  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »
I never got around to taking a picture of mine before i started to dismantle it but there is a similar one on this vid
now just imagine the same thing with twice the reach and yellow and you get what i had  :D

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:03 AM »
Looks like you'll you'll have a handy weapon, come the time!  :D

Good luck with the rebuild.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Not managed to do much today thanks to the weather but I was only stripping down the arms anyway so not much to report. Yesterday I got the axle connected to the base and bolted the slew ring down I need to get the outrigger sorted for the front still but will do that on the bandsaw at work so I dont waste gas.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Ok so now its starting to come together. I have the outriggers on and its standing on its own two wheels and feet. It now has the first ram in place too connected to the first section of the turret, I also got the jib? (never know which bit is which so I made my own mind up about them and I think it goes boom-jib-bucket please feel free to put me right) cut down to size this is the origional from the digger but cut down by just over a metre and I have flame cut it to a slimmer size, will weld it tomorrow.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
I am at a stage now where it is a lot of preperation and few showable results. cut the main pivot from the old machine modified it and its now ready to fit once I have completed the boom which is shown in its two halves but I need to square up the two ends I have cut with the grinder, I am thinking it may be easier to take them to work and do this on the bandsaw but I will see how i feel tomorrow.
the biggest bit very near broke my leg was heaving it up and I slipped, fell and let go of it and it went over luckily though there was another bit of the boom very close and it landed on that rather than my leg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
hi its cumming a long nicely

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
Ship

That's going to be a handy little tool. when its finished and all painted up you may want to consider renting it out to people, better than paying a heavty charge for a JCB plus it would fit down peoples alleyways.

Keep up the good work old boy..     Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Not so sure about renting it out I can imagine there would be lots of things to go wrong there, mainly getting sued if someone ends up killing or injuring themselves or others while using it and I am sure the insurance for such would be pricey.
anyway I decided to carry on today got the ends squared up and started to weld the two halves together ..... and ran out of gas :Doh:
so took some time to clean up the rams and its a good job I had a spare because the one is really badly pitted.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:57:09 PM by shipto »

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
*start silly major tom tune*
major tom to madmodder,
first ram in place and engine on
*end silly major tom tune*
but as it says I have managed to get the first ram in place and the engine onto the digger now (even got it running it for a few seconds (well you just have to dont you  :D )) I havent welded the mounts properly yet I want to make sure it is in just the right place before i do that.
still have lots of work to do but getting excited about using it now.  :ddb:

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
After yesterdays constant drizzle had a nice dry day today (although had to weld with wet gloves I forgot to bring them in last time I used them).
Today I got the jib welded on and the bucket ram but to be fair didnt have to do anything but fit that as I left that all in place when I made it less bulky. If tomorrow stays good I should have the actual arms finished and done and be ready for piping it all up.
I really should pay some attention to the engine cosmetic wise but I really need to get it running soon so cant justify the time maybe after I have finished using it. I did do a engine flush and oil/filter change (the only oil filter I could get to fit was massive compared to the old one but no matter it will be covered anyway) and have a new air filter on order.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »
On holiday for rest of week so getting more done.
had to dodge some showers but started on the frame work for the body and mounted the control levers even got a few pipes worked out.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
Hi Shipto,

It looks like it will be a great machine when you have finished working on it.

I assume you have a large garden to dig over. When that's done, could you lug it up the M6 to my brambly jungle? Not for a day or two, because the bees have swarmed (again) and the friend who keeps a couple of hives down there has temporarily boxed up the swarm while the laggards join up, and has yet to rehouse it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »
Thanks andyf.
yes I have a decent bit of work for it to do starting with clearing and leveling my garden so I can build my 6M X 3M workshop plus other stuff.
Unfortunatly it is going to be quite a long time before it is free to lend out mainly because I am not planning to build the dolly to tow it until I need it. I suppose if a trailer was at hand it could be moved that far for a week or two but dont hold your breathe waiting, sorry.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
I wouldn't mind borrowing it too, after Andy, I've got a patch of "garden" that needs digging out, the spoil can go over the fence onto the motorway  :palm:  :lol:  :zap:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
I wouldn't mind borrowing it too, after Andy, I've got a patch of "garden" that needs digging out, the spoil can go over the fence onto the motorway  :palm:  :lol:  :zap:
dig a hole and bury it  :lol:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
hi its cumming a long I'm i have concerns with the oil filter  you say its not the same as the old one you do no that their fitted with presher relief valve the valve is their too keep the oil flowing threw the engine ie if the filter gets blocked or the oil is to thick to run threw the filter the valve will open to let the oil run threw if the presher is to open the valve is more than the engine oil pump can deliver you may starve the engine of oil  befor the oil gets up to tempricher to run thruw the filter

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »
I didnt know that but it sounds right. the guy told me it was a compatible filter despite the size difference.
I am not sure if you can add a gauge to a lister sr1 easily but it may be a good idea and as lister seemed to make their engines for almost every purpose I bet there will be a easy way to add one, will have to check the pdf manual.
since it has been flushed and has fresh oil I doubt it would be a problem for a good few hours though.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of the older Listers (like the SR1) will cheerfully run for hours with sod all in the sump, they are built like tanks.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
Hi Shipto, As krv3000 said be very careful about having the correct filter fitted. When I worked for SLD pumps we had a batch of filters for these delivered with incorrect pressure relief valve setting. Engines were running ok for a while until they started running on the sump oil. Their demise was smelly,smokey,spectacular and rapid !! As Adev commented they are fairly well built but do need looking after. I had a TS3 brought in from site "it just stopped working", it had worked all morning to pump out the dig and then been stopped for oil check  at lunchtime and seemed alright, they started it after lunch and all was ok,stopped it mid afternoon to refuel ready for pumping overnight. When they went to start it before leaving site it was locked solid, my fitter unscrewed the oil filler caps on the heads to find what he thought was carbonised oil crust so brought it back in for inspection. When we finally got a head off we found that someone on site had very carefully poured hot asphalt into the engine,fine while the engine was hot and running but not when allowed to cool ! Amazing what some people will do . Total scrap.
Nathan.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
I think to err on the safe side i will do another oil and filter change after I have leveled the ground but this time will order filter offline.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
Someone on the lister engine forum (http://listerengine.com) will be able to point you in the right direction on filters; if you don't want to register there, I can ask for you. If you do register, PM me here, as the admin doesn't approve new accounts particularly quickly...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
SO CLOSE!
got the framework finished today and its all piped up, in fact the only thing stopping it from running is the hydraulic oil tank which has not been made yet. I have shown where it will be placed in the second pic right behind the operators (me) seat.
still a few little bits to finish some of which have to wait until it can lift itself high enough for me to brace it and get under it and of course panel it all in nice and tidy.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: hydro oil tank
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
I have made a start on the hydraulic oil tank, I had intended to just make a box and leave it at that however while perusing through some sites I discovered that it may not be good to allow the oil just fed into the tank to go direct to the pump.
So a baffle is in order to force the oil to go the long way around as shown in the fourth picture.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
ok got the tank finished, painted and mounted and I am please to declare ITS ALIVE!
hopefully get a video tomorrow but I have a slight leak from the slew motor  :bang: so that going to need some new seals (if I can get them)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
ok got the tank finished, painted and mounted and I am please to declare ITS ALIVE!

Yay!!

:bow: :bow:  Blummin well done!   

So pleased someone's had a good day........   :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »
Thanks stilldrillin, still got a lot to do to get it finished but I have had everything working and apart from the leak on the slew motor all seems fine.
the problem I have now is that there are very few things to do that will prevent bits from falling off it but once they are done I have a job to use it for and it is going to take a lot of motivation to finish it properly.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 02:41:40 PM »
It went a bit wrong  :zap: it turns out the machine is capable of lifting way more weight than the base can handle which is going to force a rethink and modification. It was all fine when I was lifting buckets of dirt but then I lifted a big concrete cloths line post along with its big block of support material. slewed the machine around and the base frame started to buckle (pictured).
So to solve this little problem I am going to cut the base frame down a bit and get rid of the adjustable rear axle and have it fixed in place. as well as doing this I am going to weld plates along the sides and just sure everything up in general.
As a little side note I thought I would post a pic of the kind of thing I make for a living, dont usually take pictures at work but this frame is a little different to the basic A frames I make most of the time.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Probably the last post to this project for a while (depends how money comes together for workshop) but I cut down the part where it bent and rewelded it as well as strengthening the base and set to working with it. It still need some things doing to it but all of these apart from one or two safety concerns which I will address before I do anything more with it, are cosmetic.
With the benefit of hindsight I should have made it like this in the first place but thats the rub hindsight is only useful AFTER a problem comes up.
next few posts will hopefully be placed in the shop section  :D