Author Topic: X2 CNC mill overhaul  (Read 28344 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: X2 CNC mill overhaul
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
As I am working out some of the details in my head, I think I am going to need new way covers.

Any suggestions?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
So what are the dimension differences between this base and the original x2 base. Especially what are the differences in the dovetail dimensions.  Not a chance that the original table will work with it is there?

The new base is here. I will take pictures this evening when I can get into the shop.

I didn't do any precision measurements yet. Done quickly... The ways are the same width but are longer. The width of the base is the same. It is about 2.25" longer however.

More later.
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
Excellent timing!
I just got my X2 out of the wooden crate where it's sat since I moved 9 months ago.
I planned to pull it apart to adjust/clean everything and then tram it but I might wait a little while to see how this thread pans out.

So hurry up and finish!  :bow:

Which version of the X2 do you have?
Science is fun.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

Shall we have a sweep? :)

Given the number of variants what are the odds of both of you having the same machine? :clap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline techonehundred

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
So what are the dimension differences between this base and the original x2 base. Especially what are the differences in the dovetail dimensions.  Not a chance that the original table will work with it is there?

The new base is here. I will take pictures this evening when I can get into the shop.

I didn't do any precision measurements yet. Done quickly... The ways are the same width but are longer. The width of the base is the same. It is about 2.25" longer however.

More later.

This is great to hear.  I have been acquiring parts to cnc my HF mill.  It is nice to see that I could get at least another inch out of the y axis and maybe even two.  There have been numerous times I could have used the extra inch.   

tumutbound

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Excellent timing!
I just got my X2 out of the wooden crate where it's sat since I moved 9 months ago.
I planned to pull it apart to adjust/clean everything and then tram it but I might wait a little while to see how this thread pans out.

So hurry up and finish!  :bow:

Mine is just labelled Sieg X2

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
Yeah, slotting the whole column dosent sound like a good idea to me either. It would tidy up the conversion, but that's about it. I've CNC'd 2 of these machines. The first one was done from scratch, and I still have and use the machine. The second one was done with the CNC Fusion conversion kit. If you need to get it done right away, the kit is a fast way to go, but there were several issues that bothered me about that kit. The z-axis ballnut block covers the gib adjusting screws, which was the biggest concern. To adjust the gibs, you would need to unbolt that block, at which point you had no way of moving the head to see how tight or loose the gibs were...poor design. His thrust nuts were also a bad design and I told him a few times. They are simply a large nylock nut, which loosens in no time. I cross drilled and tapped them for a set screw.

I dont have any pics of the z motor mount online, but do have one of the X and Y. Notice that the table can extend out over the bearing block. That was another issue with the CNC Fusion kit, there was a plate in the way that took quite a bit of travel off the Y, and worst of all, there's no reason it needed to be there, just how he designed it. I explained these issues to him, but never got a reply.

I eventually took the handles off as I was sick of them catching on things and me if I got in the way.

I believe that these pictures are when I was still using the ACME screws. That was short lived. I bought used C3 class ball screws off ebay and fitted them in. That required redoing all the mounts. The screws were (and still are) in excellent shape. The Nook ball screws and nuts are also sufficient for this machine with steppers. If you go servo, I would probably use precision ground screws.

I'll dig up some pics of the Z or just take some new ones later.

I sold the machine with the CNC Fusion kit about a year ago. I built a 24"x24"x6" servo driven steel router table that rendered that machine useless in my shop. It's a shame to have a reasonably good cnc mill sitting there, never getting used. I hope the new owner is using it.

Paul

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
Hi Paul...

I haven't CNC'd the Z yet but plan to. Did you  leave the rack in place? I have seen a few conversion with and without the rack.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
I put this project on hold for a short period of time.

I figured out where the slop was coming from in it's current version... I have to do a few production runs on it before I start again.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
Finishing up a few kickstands, then I will get back onto this. However, I did order this today:

The Solid Mount Column Kit from LMS...

This is NOT the same base as the SX2P that you guys over in the U.K. have.

Looks like I will be selling the spare column and SX2 base that I currently have.

Eric
Science is fun.