Author Topic: Now what do I do with all these??  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Now what do I do with all these??
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
Ok, so you may have seen the thread on old lamps, well in the box that they came with there were all of these.....

Some of which I have no idea about a use for. So,my question to the collective.....  What would/could you do with these?   :borg:

First the nice big relay thingy.... AKA table lamp!

Then a big 25V relay/solenoid thingy

A big stop start switch thingy

An old board with loads of relays, some large capacitors and resistors

A big "pull for off" emergency switch

Another big old relay

some very fine copper (I think) gauze

some catch thingys that do still work

some kiln bricks (soldering hearth me thinks?)

And for darren, the picture off the side of the big transformers, they have GU14 on the bottom edge too... I don't know if these work?

Well that's it!  They are all in dry storage at the mo'

I wil probably strip most of it for the little bits?  But if anyone has any better ideas.....  :scratch:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
Re: Now what do I do with all these??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
Hi Ralph

Not sure about those electrical thingies. Saw something along those lines last time I watched a Frankenstein movie. Those kiln bricks look interesting though (well fairly interesting !). I made a little hearth for my silver soldering exploits a while back and discovered there are two types of bricks. Those that absorb heat (you don't want those) and those that reflect heat (you do want those).  Have you figured out which yours are ?

John S
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »
The Glass things strip the middle out, turn them over, fill with water and keep goldfish.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

The rest put on ebay ther's bound to be someone who knows what they are and will wont them. :  :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wave:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
Those latches look very useful for the shop, fold up tables come to mind.

I will take a little square of mesh off your hands if you can spare it. The mini bunsens I will be making in the future require very fine metal mesh as a tip diffuser.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
Two black transformers are interesting, what pysical size are they Ralph?

They are of course valve power supply transformers and will not be much use for much else.

Why?

Firstly they are designed for 115V mains, so in the UK the primaries of both transformers need to be wired in series.
Output is 700V, further adjusted up or down with the 170, 10, 10, windings as required.
But this will only offer a very low current that suits valve HT requirements.

The three 6V taps are quite powerful as needed for many valve heaters.

Now then, that change over switch solenoid. Perfect for someone with a second mains power source. Flick second power source on and the relay would disconnect from the grid mains supply and connect to the secondary supply.

Nice bit of kit

Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
John S,  :wave: Glad to see your still watching  :)  The bricks are of yet undetermined type..... But now I know I'm looking, I'll test and report back  :thumbup:

Stew,  Useful suggestions. Problem 1/ The glass bowl has a hole in it! Problem 2/ you need to know what you have in order to e-blag it succesfully!!  ::)

Bog's,   Mesh is yours, I'll bring you some when I visit next  :thumbup:  Oh, and the latches too if you have a use for them?  :)

Darren,

Well there's a lot to take in and process!!

size, approx 3"square width and depth and 6" tall..... Bloody heavy too!!

What are 6V taps?

The switch over solenoid sounds interesting.... How could I employ it in my day to day activities?.... Does this mean wind turbine?  :scratch:

I can see this will need more discussion.... I may be on a trip to the vallies with a back seat full of stuff !!!??

Gonna do some searching to see what I can find out.....  (more pictures of attractive ladies who know nothing about the subject I'm searching for I suppose!!  :doh: )

Ralph.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:13:45 PM by Divided he ad »
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
Gonna do some searching to see what I can find out.....  (more pictures of attractive ladies who know nothing about the subject I'm searching for I suppose!!  :doh: )

Ralph.

Ooooo I want the pictures of the lovely lasses. Yes?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
Ralph I'll expand if it helps,

Firstly they are designed for 115V mains, so in the UK the primaries of both transformers need to be wired in series.
(2x115=230, near enough to our 240V mains)
Output is 700V, further adjusted up or down with the 170, 10, 10, windings as required.
(700 + 170 = 870 + 10 = 880 + 10 = 890 Volts,     or      700 -170 = 530 Volts etc   jumble the connections around to get the voltage you need)
All low current in the order of ma (milli amps)

The three 6V taps are quite powerful as needed for many valve heaters.
(a tap is a winding, sort of. If you take one winding and tap it off part way (make a connection) you have a lower voltage of the original winding. Autoformers do this (a type of voltage reducing transformer)

Now then, that change over switch solenoid. Perfect for someone with a second mains power source. Flick second power source on and the relay would disconnect from the grid mains supply and connect to the secondary supply.

If you can use it then use it, if you can't I prob know someone that can.... :thumbup:

Nice bit of kit
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)