Author Topic: Mounting Aluminum Oxide Cup Wheels  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Mounting Aluminum Oxide Cup Wheels
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
I have received 2 white aluminum oxide cup wheels from a friend. They are 4” x1.25”.
These wheels have a metal sleeve in them with a .435” arbor hole (correct term?).  I have a Black and Decker Bench Grinder whose label says it has a ½” arbor. How do I fit this wheel to my grinder? Do I ream the sleeve to ½”? Do I make a new arbor with pillow blocks? If I go that rout, I may design columns to mount the pillow blocks on and cast them out of aluminum.
The wheels are marked max rpm 5730, so I feel they would be safe on the B&D Grinder as it is 3500 rpm.
I would rather adapt them to the B&D Grinder if possible. I would have to make/modify the shields.
If I make a new belt driven arbor, where do I get the cupped washers that go against the wheel? I think the arbor should be made from ½ “ O-1 or W-1, fitted to ½” pillow blocks and driven by an ac motor(1725 rpm) by way of a 1:2 pulley ratio.  I would thread the ends of the arbor 7/16”, left hand on one end, right hand on the other. Sound doable?

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Mounting Aluminum Oxide Cup Wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Chuck,

Do you have access to more of these cup grinding wheels?  Making a grinder for wheels that would wear out and not be replaceable sounds a bit overboard to me.  Not knowing more about the wheels, I would be loathe to recommend boring them out (though that would be my preference if things looked good when measured out and they were being used by me in my shop).

???

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
Does anyone have a source for suitable cup washers for a 7/16" arbor?
Can I make something suitable, but safe?

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
I’m building a belt driven arbor for two white aluminum oxide wheels. The arbor will have a 1/2 “ shaft in ball bearing pillow blocks. The wheels have a 7/16”mounting hole. I will turn 7/16” x 20 tpi., left and right hand threads on the shaft.
My current dilemma is how to make the cup washers for the wheels. I have some 6061 aluminum bar ends, will that be sufficient? I plan to face the end, and cut a relief about 1/16” deep for ½ the diameter, leaving a face at the inner and outer diameters, and  part off at 3/16” thick. I will then mount the washers on an arbor and face the other side. What do you all think?Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »
I have collected a couple other arbors that had cup washers with them and have copied them for the 7/16 arbor.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN