Author Topic: Yet another Oscillator!!!  (Read 4275 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Yet another Oscillator!!!
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »
 :doh: I don't know why but I seem obsessed with these things!  :proj: I think it's because I know I can achieve a result fairly quickly and am confident they will work!  :)

This time, I decided to make a very small oscillating engine for my soon to be 3 year old son! He'd shown so much interest in my other that I thought if he had one of his own, it wouldn't matter if he broke it! So I started designing this over xmas, it was supposed to be in his stocking on xmas day but he got it on Sunday just gone .... bad timing on my part again! He's thrilled with it and has dropped it a few times, I have to grit my teeth when he drops it because the whole point was that it didn't matter! It turned out quite well though so it'd be a shame if he broke it!  :D

I serialised the building of this on HMEM forum before I knew about this one, and the plans are available on there too should anybody want to do a small project as a break from something else, or as a good starting point for a beginner. One guy on there has already made 1 as his first engine, which was good, it made it feel worthwhile putting it on.

This one has 3/16" bore and 1/2" stroke. I tried it with a bicycle pump but it's too hard to keep still whilst pumping, then had it running on a car tyre compressor, it flies over on that and the gauge shows about 10psi. Problem with that is, it's so noisy you can't hear the engine!

I made more of an effort with the wooden base this time, making it from a nice piece of Oak that used to be my grandads dining table, which he must have made many moons ago, so it's got a bit of family history in there somewhere! I still cheated though and did it all on the milling machine, I was very happy with the way that turned out, it was the most satisfying part and definitely the best engine base I've ever made!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Yet another Oscillator!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:29:46 AM »
HO HO Nick it gets better and better.
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
 Love the way you've reduced the number of parts.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Yet another Oscillator!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:07:34 AM »
That was my main intention there Stew, just bending the frame was a bit dodgy, I messed it up due to not having anything suitable to bend it around. The other guy that made it used some box section, which was ideal as it already has decent radius on the corners and could be easily clamped in the vice.

Nick