Author Topic: been the tip, it makes me angry!!!  (Read 4211 times)

Offline machineshed

been the tip, it makes me angry!!!
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
just been the tip, dumped some PROPER scrap.

almost can't believe what i saw dumped in the scrap metal skip.....TWO RED ROLL CAB TOOL BOXES  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

i just can't believe that they were no use to someone.

just makes me mad!!!

rant over.

Jim

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: been the tip, it makes me angry!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
Jim -- One of the men who oversaw part of my apprenticeship was a blacksmith.  I think he was a decade older than Methuselah.  His shop had six full bays each containing a hand forge, a full 6 foot forge, various wrought anvils, and a large collection of hardies, darvies, and hand made (and balanced & fit) hammers.  For about a decade I tried to get him to sell me things from his collection (he was only using about 10% of his equipment) -- but my "argument" always sounded too much of the you're going to die soon... type.

He died while I was working "remote" for a full year.  His daughter sold the entire shop as scrap!!!  This is a rant of mine that will never cease...

Offline Deko

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
Hi Jim
         If you were mad about that you should try a visit to your local scrapyard. If it is anything like ours it will be full of stuff that will both make you mad, and make you chuffed at the same time. for example:- friday i went to our local scrapyard to find two boxford lathes, one large cast iron table saw. one large bandsaw, one woodwork lathe, two floor standing drills,and a small bench mount pillar drill.  I bought the small drill for £6.00. Yes that's right, six quid, Before everyone bombbards me for details,i will say that while they would all be restorable, they are all in poor condition, and prices start at around sixty quid. My little drill has no motor, but is all cast iron construction,and only very light surface rust,so will make a nice tapping stand, or i may fit new bearings and make a high speed drill for small holes.

Cheers Dek

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »
It still stuns me what some people throw away!

I was talking to a lad who works in airbus today... He was telling me about the drill bits in the scrap bin (3ft square) because they were dropped and swept up with the swarf.... Separated with a shaker but not cost effective to sort out the good from the bad. All to be weighed in!!   :jaw:

Dek, You are so very lucky to have that scrappy there... It is a great place  :)

Did you get that little drill we saw when we were there? Cause it did look useful.

Got to get my workshop sorted... Wand to have a go at spinning so need a wood lathe in there.... Soon, I'll get it done... ish!

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
just been the tip, dumped some PROPER scrap.

almost can't believe what i saw dumped in the scrap metal skip.....TWO RED ROLL CAB TOOL BOXES

They might have been like the cabinet I bought from Kaymart and the tip is the best place for them.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
yep the things they throw a way is beyond me the tip just up the road was a good soars of things us lot like to play with but no more the new chap in charge will not let you have out