Author Topic: a leap in to the darke  (Read 7236 times)

Offline krv3000

a leap in to the darke
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
hi all i came a Cross this in a old engineering book of haw to resharpen old files so i decided to give it a go and see wot hapens SOS no pics of before but will post pics of the after right i went throw me old file collection and got a good selection of files I first gave them a gowning over with a file card its a proper wire brush for cleaning files then i put them in a large plastic tray and then put in me battery acid after 8 awers of soaking  i drained off the acid and gave them a good scribing with ruining water and a nale brush well they cam out like new dried them off and gave them a bathe in paraffin their was two relay grotty files so i have let them soak over night and i will see wot has hapend to them when i get back home 

Offline krv3000

Re: a leap in to the darke
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »
Hi all as promist sum pics you can just make out the file siting in the tub all the crap on the top came off the other files right her are the pics

Offline Deko

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »
Well they all look very nice and clean, but how do they cut. :scratch:

Cheers  Dek

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »
hi all cut well i tested them all on brass then tested sum on steel they cut like new

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: a leap in to the dark
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
Bob,
      There's a whole heap of stuff on the subject. Mostly Hydrochloric acid was the stuff used.
Basically, it and phosphoric acid make a really useful rust remover on things like car panels.
Again, it is the stuff that is used to clean mortar , concrete and bricks as well so it is still available widely.
OK, moving on! I think that it is generally agreed that acid 'sharpening' is one way to get the best out of clogged up and rusty files but eventually, the teeth of files are bound to be worn away- end of story, I'm afraid.

Of course, it isn't the end for usefulness and the better( non case hardened) files make very good form tools for the lathe. Somewhere- somehow, I have photos of the files that Dennis Chaddock ground up to turn  ball handles for his Quorn  tool  grinder.

Regards

Norman

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »
hi thanks i will get sum concreat cleaner and have a bit play

Offline philf

Re: a leap in to the dark
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
Bob,
      There's a whole heap of stuff on the subject. Mostly Hydrochloric acid was the stuff used.
Basically, it and phosphoric acid make a really useful rust remover on things like car panels.
Again, it is the stuff that is used to clean mortar , concrete and bricks as well so it is still available widely.
OK, moving on! I think that it is generally agreed that acid 'sharpening' is one way to get the best out of clogged up and rusty files but eventually, the teeth of files are bound to be worn away- end of story, I'm afraid.

Of course, it isn't the end for usefulness and the better( non case hardened) files make very good form tools for the lathe. Somewhere- somehow, I have photos of the files that Dennis Chaddock ground up to turn  ball handles for his Quorn  tool  grinder.

Regards

Norman

Another use for concrete/brick cleaner is to remove the scale from hot rolled steel. I dilute the brick/concrete cleaner (basically dilute HCl) about 50/50 with water and pop the items to be descaled in for about 15 minutes. The scale then just washes off under the tap with a mild brushing. I first tried vinegar but it took about 24 hours to achieve the same result.

If you've ever tried to remove hot rolled scale by mechanical means you'll know how difficult is to shift.

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Raggle

• In Memoriam
  • Newtown, Powys, Mid-Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:55:38 AM »
Cheap supermarket cola (as low as 17p for 2 litres  -  own brand) is also surprisingly good for dissolving rust.

An old friend of mine had a 1/2" Jacobs chuck which had been under his bench when his workshop had a flood months before. Wouldn't move and he almost scrapped it. I'd heard of the cola trick and he tried it, having nothing to lose. Just put it in a jug, covered it with cola, let it soak overnight.

Worked a treat. Bare hands, no mask or goggles ...

On the bottle it says phosphoric acid  -  God knows what it does to your insides. :)

Ray
still turning handles  -  usually the wrong way

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
On the bottle it says phosphoric acid  -  God knows what it does to your insides. :)

Ray

As your stomach already contains hydrochloric acid, you should be able to simply swallow rusty parts. :clap:

You can go for a pee and make explosives or tan leather. Take the dog out for crap and make ladies best white leather gloves.

As Dear Bob ( KRV3000) is into tempering, h can pee on  steel to case harden it.

All very well, but the smell is interesting.

The chemical formula for dogs pee is K9P :lol:

(Sneaks away- aint science wonderful?)
 :worthless: Pics?- not on your Nellie
Norm