Author Topic: EMCO UNIMAT PC BASIC==SMASHED GEARS  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Daveinlondon

EMCO UNIMAT PC BASIC==SMASHED GEARS
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
SHOT IN THE DARK TOP GEAR FOR ABOVE....27.30MM DIA...43T ...2.03 PITCH ??....ICAN FIND 30MM & 25MM AND I HAVE LOOKED AROUND THE WEB WITH OUT LUCK  :hammer: AND I DONT HAVE THE GEAR TO CUT GEARS AND THEY HAVE TO TAKE A 10MM BELT DONT MIND JOINING TWO GEARS TOGETHER REALY WANT THEM IN ALI.....PRICE QUOTED £157.00 APROX IN PLASTIC WHICH KEEPS ON BREAKING AS THIS IS A STACK OF THREE GEARS THE FIXING GRUB SCREW IS IN THE CENTRE OF THE MIDDLE GEAR

MOTIONCO HAVE THE LOWER & CENTRE GEAR NOTHING FOR THE TOP GEAR.... I stand before the forum on bended knee... :wack:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: EMCO UNIMAT PC BASIC==SMASHED GEARS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Hi Dave,

If you are asking about a gear rather than a toothed pulley, the dimensions (43T, 27.3mm OD) are pretty close to those for a (metric) Mod 0.6 gear.

Go here: http://www.hpcgears.com/products/spur_gears.htm and at the bottom left select "Metric(MOD)" in the drop-down box. Then, in the same box, select size as "0.6 MOD". That gets you to a list of steel Mod 0.6 gears. Looking at the initial paragraph, you probably want the PG (no boss) style. Scroll down to find a 43T at £9.89 (plus VAT, probably).

They also do them in brass, Tufnol and Delrin (but not aluminium)  according to the heading, but you  will probably have to give them a call about those. 

Hope this helps.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline clivel

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »
Hi Dave,
From your description, I guess that you are looking for the motor pulley which is a three sectioned toothed belt pulley? If so, it is Emco part number A4A 000 140.
Have you tried contacting http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk I have found them very helpful when looking for spares or accessories for my lathe. I think that the newer pulleys are metal not plastic, because when I bought my lathe second hand it came with a box full of bits and pieces which included a spare metal pulley, although the original plastic one is still in excellent condition.

Offline Daveinlondon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys..I have spoken to Emcomachinetools and this part has not been available for many years...Tnx clivel.....andyf this is a toothed belt pulley it was made by HPC and the company I work for paid for it, I only selected Ali as I experemented sticking two lumps of Ali together with Locktite-Green and it stuck firm, I will have a look at HPC web site...Big THANK YOU to the forum   :wack:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Why not join YahooGroups Unimat site? I recall that the late Rex Tingey's excellent  book  is filed there.

Lots of tooling for the little Uni and how to gear cut with one.

How do I know? I have a MJ-189 which is a Uni 'clone'

Cheers

Norman

Offline Daveinlondon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »
Had a look at HPC and found '' timing gears '' looks like i will have to change all the gears, as the Emco pitch is 2.03 and hpc are 2.5mm, but at least it will give the old girl a new lease of life and I wont have to hunt the web for parts.....then look for a replacement screw and nut for the 'x' axis....I did put a volt meter on it and found that it goes from 0-45v dc....looks like a second psu will be sorced then I can power feed 'z' while using the mill....work in progress...... :zap:

Offline clivel

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »
Actually the Emco pulleys are designed to fit MXL timing belts which are specified as 0.080" pitch, close enough to 2.03mm though. The wider belt is 3/8" the narrower 3/16"
I was surprised to find that they aren't actually metric when I was recently looking for replacement belts.

Offline Daveinlondon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Gowing to order mxl gears from hpc look like they will do the job..could not belive my luck the factory next door were chucking out all there old baking machines wow all that stainless and ali going in the skip and me following it.....local DIY centre clearing out end of line cabinet handles 8'' x 10mm stainless solid £2.00 each....cheakout number 4 please  :zap: