Author Topic: anyone had a Shoulder replacment ?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
anyone had a Shoulder replacment ?
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
Has anyone on hear had a shoulder replacement ? I need a couple and have been putting it off for some years but it is getting a bit rough and is dislocating all the time now , It's not the opp I have had plenty I am concerned that i wont be able to play lathes and mills any more, (I  have had several hips and worse)
so opps is not theproblem)
so any info on how people are after would be handy , doctors always tell you fine till you have the opp then you get the bad news , "Ohh don't turn Handel's"

or as happend to me don't go near RF energy over 3w , which is great when you are a radio ham and enjoy fixing them.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: anyone had a Shoulder replacment ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »
Sorry....... I can't help you with the op info Peter.

I just hope someone can help you make the right decision.......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:40:10 AM »
Hi Peter,

My late wife took a dive down a staircase about 15 years ago, smashing her right shoulder up so badly that a replacement had to be fitted. It took about 3 months of exercises before a reasonable degree of movement was restored. Not a full range; for example, she could manage a Nazi salute, but couldn't raise her arm much further than that, and often had to get out of her car to collect tickets from car park barriers. Overall, however, the artificial shoulder hardly hampered her at all, and no-one would have known she had one. What always puzzled me was that its construction was basically of metal, but it never set off the alarm at airport security barriers.

The exercises consisted of things like crawling her hand up the wall and pulling at elastic tied to the banisters.  I rigged up a pulley over a doorway with a rope over it so she could hold one end in each hand and pull down with her left hand, thus raising her right arm by a little more each day.

Hope this gives you some reassurance.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
thank you for that Info Andy It mustn't of been easy for you to do, I haven't been able to get my hand even level for years, I am not worried about getting more movement I don't think it will happen with me , but the fact she could get a good range of movement gives me hope. thank you for that

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
I have had life threatening asthma for my adult life.  The only treatment that has worked is prednisone.  One of the side effects of steroids is the deterioration of tissue.  Both of my rotator cuffs are torn and damaged.  I have many difficulties moving my arms.  Lots of pain.  Lots of pain pills.  As of now, I would rather use a little more medication than take the unknown chances that come with surgery and replacements.  I would rather live a few more years in pain than lose the use of my arms.  At our age I believe surgery has many more problems with it than are stated.