Author Topic: Digital Angle Gauge won't reset after battery change...  (Read 20160 times)

Offline BACKGEAR

Re: Digital Angle Gauge won't reset after battery change...
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
hi, this might work try turning it off then back on but keeping the button presed in untill you see the screen flashing.good luck[suspicious][suspicious][/suspicious][/suspicious]

Offline DavoDavo

• Aargh.. Too late, she's going down - Abandon ship!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »
hi, this might work try turning it off then back on but keeping the button presed in untill you see the screen flashing.good luck[suspicious][suspicious][/suspicious][/suspicious]
Nah, can't do that 'cos the thing doesn't 'power up' in the true sense of the word, just sits there with all segments of the LCD lit. I've tried pressing all sorts of button combinations and for differing time periods but no go.  :bang:

Thanks anyway.
Cheers,
Dave (Yes, another one. I'm sure we're being cloned somewhere)  :scratch:

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »
 Well folk by sheer chance I tried to use one of my instruments after being in the box without battery's for 3 months.
 How it worked for me.
1 Remove battery,
2 press and hold one button while,
3 Insert battery and wait for 5 secs,
4 Press reset/ zero
If at first this does not work repeat from 1 with another button.
I have tried this on a vernier, a depth Gage, angle box and a axis measure box.
All seem to have the similar reset but different button.
The IC/Chip used seems to be a programmable device of the same type for all these instruments.
Give it a try and let us know.
Trev

Offline Bunezki

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone will come up with a fix for my Digital Angle Gauge, it's the same as this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Bevel-Box-Inclinometer-Angle-Gauge-Meter-Protractor-360-Magnets-Base-/270985840582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f1803c7c6#ht_4553wt_1150).

It came with batteries (3 x CR2032) installed and worked fine until the batteries died, but I didn't notice the dead batteries due to a house move a year ago and only a few weeks ago saw no display when I went looking for it.
Putting three new batteries in just gives me a permanent display of all the characters that the LCD has. I thought maybe that I was glitching it when the batteries were going in so tried many times after suitable in-between long wait times (that usually fixes my digital calipers when I put new batteries in them).

I took the back off and tried using a 9V battery instead of the 3 CR2032's in case it was somehow because of the way I was putting the batteries in but despite trying many, many times I still get the same display and no reset.  :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm loath to throw it away unless I really have to.   :doh:
Check please Xtal 32,768 kHz (it is a little cylinder near chip).
Good luck.

Offline DavoDavo

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »
Well folk by sheer chance I tried to use one of my instruments after being in the box without battery's for 3 months.
 How it worked for me.
1 Remove battery,
2 press and hold one button while,
3 Insert battery and wait for 5 secs,
4 Press reset/ zero
If at first this does not work repeat from 1 with another button.
I have tried this on a vernier, a depth Gage, angle box and a axis measure box.
All seem to have the similar reset but different button.
The IC/Chip used seems to be a programmable device of the same type for all these instruments.
Give it a try and let us know.
Trev

Nah, nothing I tried like that works, still as dead as a Dodo with fixed display.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers,

Offline DavoDavo

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone will come up with a fix for my Digital Angle Gauge, it's the same as this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Bevel-Box-Inclinometer-Angle-Gauge-Meter-Protractor-360-Magnets-Base-/270985840582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f1803c7c6#ht_4553wt_1150).

It came with batteries (3 x CR2032) installed and worked fine until the batteries died, but I didn't notice the dead batteries due to a house move a year ago and only a few weeks ago saw no display when I went looking for it.
Putting three new batteries in just gives me a permanent display of all the characters that the LCD has. I thought maybe that I was glitching it when the batteries were going in so tried many times after suitable in-between long wait times (that usually fixes my digital calipers when I put new batteries in them).

I took the back off and tried using a 9V battery instead of the 3 CR2032's in case it was somehow because of the way I was putting the batteries in but despite trying many, many times I still get the same display and no reset.  :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm loath to throw it away unless I really have to.   :doh:
Check please Xtal 32,768 kHz (it is a little cylinder near chip).
Good luck.
OK, how do I check the Xtal? And where would I get a replacement if it is bad?  :scratch:
Cheers,

Offline John Swift

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

Hi Dave,

the 32.768 Khz crystal is used in watches and is available from Jaycar Electronics  CAT. NO. RQ5297

John

Offline DavoDavo

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:43 AM »

Hi Dave,

the 32.768 Khz crystal is used in watches and is available from Jaycar Electronics  CAT. NO. RQ5297

John
Thanks, John.  :beer:
Might be worth a try.
I'll order one from the local agent and have at it. :dremel:
Cheers,