Author Topic: A Typical NYC Boiler Room Operation  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Tater

A Typical NYC Boiler Room Operation
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Ok, so the term "boiler room operation" usually means pump and dump stock swindlers run by guys with "the" for middle names.  My shop however, shares space with our gas boiler  - a blessing in the winter and a bit of curse in the summer, although it does have a duct off the central AC. 

Anyway - my shop is a work in progress, an exercise in efficiency, and an incredible and relaxing escape from the Manhattan rat race.

Here are two wide angle photos showing most of the shop. The Lista workbench and tooling cabinet are on lockable casters with mucho-weight on them so stability isn't an issue. Underneath the workbench are air compressor, shop-vac, disc/belt sanding station, and a small stand mounted power hack saw.

The opposite side of the shop is where the lathe, grinder, bandsaw, and finishing area are.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: A Typical NYC Boiler Room Operation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
Very nice setup!

Very orderly! Mine is no where near that neat!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:21:22 AM »
Wow! I wish I was that tidy, but I just wasn't born that way.

Is that a home-brew power feed on the mill?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline jiihoo

• Finland - Northern Europe
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:08 AM »
Cool!

I'd love to hear more about the red boxy machine that says "Magnetic finisher" on the left corner of the first picture. What do you load into it and how does it work?

Cheers and Welcome,

Jari

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »
Hi and Welcome Thomas  :wave:

Looks a well equipped shop you have there  :dremel: ,,,,,,,,,,,very nice  :clap: :clap: :clap:

So what ya making  ?  ,,, looks like you have a few parts machined up for some project sitting on the workbench .

Rob

Offline Tater

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
Jari, the red machine in the corner is a centrifuge for enriching uraniu... :smart:.oh, wait, I'm not supposed to talk about that.... :ddb:

In fact, it is a centrifuge of sorts for polishing jewelry, (and bits of steam engines, but don't tell anyone!).  The wife is a jewelry designer, (www.alexstoryjewelry.com).  - you can see her bench pin clamped on the workbench as well. 

I'm a bit of a neat freak so the workshop is generally pretty tidy - and in a small space it's a necessity.

The parts on the workbench are my very first project  - the Elderberry launch engine.  Those with a sharp eye will notice a few modifications from the plans.   :scratch:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:05:47 AM by Tater »

Offline mzt

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »
I can see a couple: the enlarged flywheel should help, the shorter bearing area will give You less fits into keeping the bores aligned when tightening the screws that fasten the blocks to the base.
My build was never a good runner, neither a good looker, though I recently tried to improve it on that point, with dubious results. That built wasn't started under a lucky star, and that's it.
Your parts are made very nicely: put a lot of attention into cutting the grooves into the valve and You should get it OK.

Marcello