Author Topic: Project "YOU Bit It Off, YOU chew it", aka installing a Bridgeport CNC  (Read 48131 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Project "YOU Bit It Off, YOU chew it!" begins!

As a few of you already know, I recently won a Bridgeport Interact MDI on eBay, for £small_change. For reasons which I will explain at the end of this post, I didn't get that machine, but a slightly different one.... and it arrived today on the back of a lorry:

Hoik!

Plant!

Tada.wav! One Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2 with Heidenhain TNC150 controller! Wahay!

Now the long and unnecessarily difficult task of recommissioning it starts.... I already began to clean it in the previous picture, WD40 everywhere (it's been out in the rain  :Doh:).

It seems to be pretty much all there. There's a couple of clamps which hold the Z-axis motor - visible at the top of the previous picture - in place which are missing, I can fabricate those on the manual mill, as well as the 5/16" UNC bolts to hold it down if necessary.  Because it's been sat in the rain, I had some warm air blowing into the cabinets:

Eeek!

EEEEEK!

Hopefully all that wonderful '80s electrickery stuff still works... Lots of big fat transformers and other 3-phasery.

I do have the covers, but I won't fit them until the machine is up and running. I hope to power it on at the weekend, that should be long enough for the WD40 to do its magic, and gives me time to make the clamps.

So... the Tale of Woe...

The machine I actually won was a Bridgeport Interact Series 2 MDI with Heidenhain TNC145 controller - a slightly smaller machine with a slightly older controller. After the auction (which specified "Machine must be removed in 3 days"), I contacted my favourite machine mover, determined he was pretty much available on spec, then utterly failed to contact the seller.... who FINALLY got in touch on the Friday (Auction ended on Tuesday) to tell me he'd promised the machine to someone else prior to the auction end, and when said person came to collect it turned out the X-axis motor & encoder were missing.

FFS & all that.

However, the same seller had this machine going. We did some haggling, and now it's both mine & here, and it's complete - there's only 1 cut wire (I think it's the light wire, as there's no work light on the machine), and apart from the missing brackets to hold the Z-axis motor down, it seems to be all there. So, fingers crossed, it'll all work, and not too much rain has got into the spindle or motor bearings to knacker them.

So... if you're looking at a machine from eBay seller "machinetools_rus" - be careful...

I may yet have nothing more than a lump of inert cast iron... but hopefully, so long as the motors & encoders are good, even if the old electronics have died I have a good friend who is a bit of an electronics genius, if only I can tear him away from his racing car...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Ade

Nice Find. Looks like it should make lots of chips if it all turns out OK. If it were mine I would keep a fan and a heater turned on the electrics for several days to be sure that its dry. You don't want to take any chances and let any of that smoke out. Enjoy, I'll be watching from the other side of the pond.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Rob.Wilson

Very very nice Ade  :drool:

I hope it all grafts OK for you when you power it up  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Looks great, Ade.

The circuitry reminds me of the electro-mechanical intestines of old juke-boxes and pinball machines, but rather beefier.

Look forward to hearing how it runs; as Don says, don't rush the drying out.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Ade,

Would also suggest you pop the back off the cantilevered display/keyboard unit and get some warm air in there as well. You won't get right inside the TNC itself, but the monitor's HT won't like the damp.

One warning (on the basis on the TNC 155 that I use, on a non-Bridgeport CNC mill) - there is a battery back-up which is sustained by a couple of AA batteries behind a half-crown sized plastic screw plug and an inner cover just below the spindle & feed rate over-ride pots.   DON'T remove the batteries until you have a good solid mains supply - if the batteries are removed, or run out, with no other supply, then the machine parameters can be lost. Being a BP you may be able to get them from someone else and key them in, but it'll be a pain.

Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Thanks for the words of advice & replies chaps! It's certainly going to make chips, even if it's manually with an axe!

Dave - I'd already read about the dangers of changing out the batteries without plugging it in, fingers crossed the batts that are in there have held up, otherwise it's funtime as you say. I'm sure John Stevenson has the parameters memorised, or he'll at least be able to make up a set on the spot  :lol:

I have whizzed the back off the display unit, at first I thought it had a puddle of water in it, but it turned out to just be a shiny bit. I will, as you say, get some warm air in there.

My biggest fears are knackered spindle or main motor bearings, knackered main motor or Z-axis servomotor due to water ingress. The main motor is HUGE, and appears to be a multi-speed unit, as I can't see any signs of a mechanical varispeed, the front plate reckons 40-4000rpm, that's pretty close to the same range as my manual machine.

I don't suppose anyone happens to have a manual for these machines do they? I may have to buy one off fleabay...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Ohhhh........ That's nice, Ade!  :bugeye:

Good luck with the dry out, and installation.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi
Ade
Dont rush drying things out (you must keep the smoke inside it)
Looks to be a fine machine
I take it you have a 3 phase supply :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
.....I don't suppose anyone happens to have a manual for these machines do they? I may have to buy one off fleabay...

There is a seller of some repute in Long Eaton  **LINK** whom I can thoroughly recommend (though not certain if that particular listing matches your new toy).

there is another interesting feature of that advertisement - it has a picture which says "Just click on our man and he'll show you" - now is that J or A or ????!!!!?? 

Dave

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Sorry don't have a manual for this model.
In fact not seen this model before but must admit not that well up on Bridgeport CNC's although i have an old MDI that's now converted.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
No problem John, I had my tongue fairly firmly in my cheek... I guess I'll have to go register at cnczone now...

Thanks for the link Dave; that particular CD doesn't (it covers the BOSS controllers), but I shall ask him if he has manuals for my machine anyway (another eBay seller has paper ones, I'd prefer the CD I think).

I can still download manuals for the controller, so hopefully learning to program it "as it is" should be possible; I'd like to figure out drip-feeding it from a CAD/CAM system (Mach3 IIRC is the opensource one).

Other John - yep, 3-phase :) I couldn't live without it, all my big machines are 3phase. I have a 3ph alternator to attach to one of my diesel engines too, in case I ever end up somewhere without a suitable supply...

Of course.... first things first.... got to get it running....
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Ohhhh........ That's nice, Ade!  :bugeye:

Good luck with the dry out, and installation.  :thumbup:

Thanks David, it's not bad is it? I was worried I wouldn't have room for it, but it's just squeezed in nicely, and now I'll have somewhere to sit while running the lathe too  :palm:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
That is a beefy looking machine you got there Ade!  :drool:

I am sure with your skills, it will be up and running just fine.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
..... Thanks for the link Dave; that particular CD doesn't (it covers the BOSS controllers), but I shall ask him if he has manuals for my machine anyway (another eBay seller has paper ones, I'd prefer the CD I think).....
Ade - sorry that I didn't make it clearer in my previous message, but that vendor is from a well-renowned family, where they've just scrapped a TOS lathe  :coffee:  and who has in fact just answered above !

....I can still download manuals for the controller, so hopefully learning to program it "as it is" should be possible; I'd like to figure out drip-feeding it from a CAD/CAM system....

Once you've got the machine up & running, I'd be glad to help as I've got my machine working OK on dripfeed. The only caution I'd raise is that I seem to remember that not all of the early TNCs could accept block-wise dripfeed.

... (Mach3 IIRC is the opensource one)....
Mach3 is free to download and the free version can run small programs; need the licensed version to run larger programs.  EMC, running under Linux, is the open source one.

cheers / Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
..... Thanks for the link Dave; that particular CD doesn't (it covers the BOSS controllers), but I shall ask him if he has manuals for my machine anyway (another eBay seller has paper ones, I'd prefer the CD I think).....
Ade - sorry that I didn't make it clearer in my previous message, but that vendor is from a well-renowned family, where they've just scrapped a TOS lathe  :coffee:  and who has in fact just answered above !

Aaaaah, suddenly it becomes clear. And to think I was going to see if John could pick the manuals up as the seller was just down the road from him! Hadn't realised he was in fact right next door..... Yeah, scrapping that big TOS lathe, quite rude if you ask me, I'm always on the lookout for machinery that's far too big for me...

No worries, I will have a look at getting the paper manual, it's a tenner, but if I'm going to treat the machine properly I should probably do it right...

....I can still download manuals for the controller, so hopefully learning to program it "as it is" should be possible; I'd like to figure out drip-feeding it from a CAD/CAM system....

Once you've got the machine up & running, I'd be glad to help as I've got my machine working OK on dripfeed. The only caution I'd raise is that I seem to remember that not all of the early TNCs could accept block-wise dripfeed.

Mine is the TNC150, which I believe will accept blockwise drip-feed (the MDI machine had a 145, which would take external programming, but not drip-fed). I would definitely like to take you up on any help you can give - when I bought the manual Bridgeport, I'd watched a 12-hour video tutorial (several times), so I already felt I knew the machine well when I got it; same deal with the lathe... but CNC, other than knowing roughly what to expect from cutters, I'm flying totally blind...

Mach3 is free to download and the free version can run small programs; need the licensed version to run larger programs.  EMC, running under Linux, is the open source one.

Dat de one. I think my mate Pete uses EMC on his converted Interact, but his is a different model to mine (his has steppers, mine has servo motors), and he's binned the original controller entirely. I plan to keep mine, for now, either until it lets the magic smoke out, or becomes too limiting (hmm, really? too limiting?  :loco:)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline machineshed

CNCzone is well worth joining :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Ade,

I have pretty much all the documentation, parameter listing, diagrams etc for that machine including setting up info for the TNC if you get stuck - remember my Interact literally fell off the back (well side really) of a lorry!!!)
Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Hi Andrew,

Cool - I know you said you had an Interact, didn't realise it was the exact same model! I'll drop you a PM, maybe we can do a deal on the docs?

Cheers,
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline krv3000

hi nice by

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
 :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
IT'S ALIVE!
 :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I can move all 3 axes with the jog wheel, or the joystick (but only with the rapid traverse button pressed), I can make it got to a datum point.

What I can't yet do is make it spin the spindle, or seemingly do anything more interesting than that.

So.... alive, yes. Kicking? Not yet...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Rob.Wilson

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nice one Ade  :thumbup:

Have you loaded any G code into it ? ,,,,,,,,,,,, can you manually input a line of code  :scratch:

Rob

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
That's great news Ade!  :thumbup:

Blummin, WELL DONE!!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Hi Rob,

I don't have it interfaced to a computer yet - that's a (near) future task.

Cheers David :)

Too knackered to go on experimenting tonight (I was up @ 5am this morning doing race car jobs), if someone can give me a simple "here's how you test the spindle works" programming example, assuming I'm a complete dumbo, on a TNC150, then please let me know...

Thanks!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
Hi Rob,

I don't have it interfaced to a computer yet - that's a (near) future task.

Cheers David :)

Too knackered to go on experimenting tonight (I was up @ 5am this morning doing race car jobs), if someone can give me a simple "here's how you test the spindle works" programming example, assuming I'm a complete dumbo, on a TNC150, then please let me know...

Thanks!

If I remember rightly Ade.

G20 G40 G80 G90
G24 X0 Y0  ZO
GOO XO YO M03 S500

Or summat similar...... It's been a very long time!

Hope it works. Or, gives everyone a good laugh.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
IIRC it needs the compressed air conected to take the brake off the spindle
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
David - I can't put G-code into the controller, it's a conversational thing... There is a book (in German, which I don't speak/read/write unfortunately) which has some conversational examples, I will see if I can't key one of those in.

Andrew - yep, I've got it plumbed into air. When I operate what I assume is the airbrake switch on the front of the machine, I get a very faint "clonk" noise - too faint for me to think it's actually done anything, so maybe the brakes are seized on. Then again, I can't say I've heard the main motor try to do anything, and the tool change light isn't going out, so as far a I can tell it's not even trying to run the spindle?

If I try to set the table position with a "spindle start" function, the machine sits there for a while & does nothing. so I assume something is stopping it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK

Lub tank needs to be above the limit level, a contact on it is in the control chain iirc.

The TNC 150 can be in 'conversational' mode or ISO G code mode by changing a parameter. There is a magnetically retained overlay keyboard that sits over the usual keys and has the G code markings.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Hi Ade,

will reply in more detail later - just going out now.

I use my machine in conversational so can send you simple start-up prog later.

Startup can be monitored by some extent by watching the bottom of the monitor.

Problems may also be due to a limit either genuinely being tripped or a wiring issue making it think that - limits / e-stops are usually wired using normally-closed microswitches, relays etc. so if anything fails, or a wire breaks (which is deemed more likely than a short) then the machine will fail safe.

Will also PM you my phone number - can also talk you through entering a conversational program etc.

cheers / Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
IT'S KICKING!!!!!
:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I now have 3-axis movements and a spinny spindle - yay!

The problem was the fan motor overloading, causing a breaker trip. I didn't recognise it as a breaker, hence not pressing it sooner.... pressed it, everything started up then clonk, off it went again. Disconnected the fan motor, and then it kicked in and stayed in.

Andrew - It doesn't seem to need an air supply after all. I wonder if it used to be connected to an auto toolchanger, I believe they are air powered?

Dave - Number will be in a PM soon, thanks for the kind offer  :nrocks:

So.... next issue - the magnetic spindle brake doesn't work properly... it consists of an electromagnet, a slightly domed metal disk (I assume a magnet enhancer), a clutch which is supposed to go up & down, and a brake disc. The problem is, when assembled as per getting the machine, other than emitting a faint clonk, nothing much happened. I am able to assemble the parts in a configuration which causes the spindle brake to work (albeit weakly), but bass ackwards - i.e. applying power turns the brake on. It should be the other way around...

Can anyone who happens to have a manual :wave: tell me if there's any info about the magnetic spindle brake, e.g. how it goes together? I can at least trial run the machine without the brake, what I'm not sure of is whether it's getting all the volts it should be (~27v) and therefore is a bit on the weak side.

But, hey, IT WORKS! Thank goodness for that!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Rob.Wilson

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Truly happy for you Ade  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :D

Dose this mean  you be machining engine blocks from solid now  :poke:

Rob 

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Thanks Rob - if I can get anything approaching a surface finish like yours, I'll be extraordinarily happy :)

Dose this mean  you be machining engine blocks from solid now  :poke:

Hmmmmm now there's an idea  :proj:

The machine doesn't have enough travel to make a sump in one sitting... so I'll be making some jigs I think...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Sounds like it's all going to plan Ade  :nrocks:

I know Rob was going for funny but....

Can be done!

:lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

I wasn't joking Ralph  :)

I bet there will be race car parts flying off the machine soon  :headbang:

Just need to press the button marked "performance parts"  :poke:  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
First baby steps....

(Don't ask when it's due....)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
Ade.

THAT'S a fine sight to see!   :thumbup:

Blummin well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
I wasn't joking Ralph  :)

Ahh, I see.... Well that's what you get for crying wolf!  :lol:

Well done Ade... Very quick from drop to machining :bugeye:  And not too many  :zap: faults either   :thumbup:

I'm gonna have to come over soon, see this thing in action  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Looks pretty exciting, Ade!  Woot!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Thanks guys! It was a  big relief to watch it actually go do what I told it to! Especially since there were no practice runs - that really was the first time that program ran...

After that video, I made it do a surfacing operation across the top of the block, which it carried out with aplomb. Now I need to start practicing some of the more complex stuff; arcs, circles, etc.

Oh, and remote controlling it too.... it's painful having to program it at the pendant...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Sorry for the late interaction...

Nice one Ade. I can hear the gears in your head whirring all the way over here with what you are going to do once the CNC is where you want it.

I agree with Rob... Race car parts!!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Well done Ade
 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
From a wet possible "scrapper"to machining in a few days :bow: :bow: :bow:
John

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement :) There's still lots of learning ahead, though, before I can really put it to work... If I can find a cable, I will try the computer interface tonight.

Eric - the reason you can hear the gears is because they're all rusty and knackered  :lol: Too many years of  boozing has left very few functional braincells... You're right, though, race car parts are going to feature prominently...

John - thanks - it's a big relief I must admit. I just need to keep a close eye on my bearings now, there's quite a lot of noise & I'm not sure how much is "normal motor noise" and how much is bearing noise.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
If only there were more hours in the day  :(, then I might get some more done.

Progress report: With Pete's help, the magnetic spindle brake is now back in operation  :beer:

And, following a hectic hour or so of soldering and general messing about, now the computer interface is working!  :ddb:

I have successfully transferred programs from the controller to the computer, the next step is to try to do it t'other way around, & send a program to the machine. But that will have to wait until next week, because I'm out of hours today, and I'm racing at the weekend. I might sneak a couple of hours on Sunday, if I'm not a wrisical pheck by then (I race on Sunday).

If there are any Welshies around, I'll be at Ty Croes on Anglesey sat & sun. It's due to be lashing down on Saturday, Sunday is still not determined (but there might be a dry spot for me to play in).
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Save your parameters to a file NOW to avoid later disasters!!!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Save your parameters to a file NOW to avoid later disasters!!!!

Yep, already done it (after I posted the above)  :D

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to drip-feed this controller - the parameters only go up to MP214, and the blockwise mode is set in parameter MP223.

I guess I need to look out for a TNC151B controller, I would hope it's sufficiently similar to the TNC150 that I don't need to do any major electrical works, just swap out the main controller box.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Yes that's a straightforwards upgrade, as is a TNC155 - finding one is another matter !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
But does Mrs ADEV want a holiday in Pasadena?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
There is no Mrs AdeV - no way would I be allowed to spend all my money on milling machines and racing cars if there was one! Although any potential Mrses who WOULD allow such things (and, preferably, who are also reasonably young and filthy stinking rich) are quite welcome to apply - I am fully house trained....

Mr AdeV on the other hand, quite fancies the idea of Pasadena :) But how would a 60Hz controller handle 50Hz mains...?
Cheers!
Ade.
--

lordedmond

I though Electronics ran on DC  not the wobbly stuff :D

To tell the truth it would only be the power pack which should be the same , unlike CRT that used the 50 hz to work out the fly back ,  eg a computer Psu is designed to work on 60 and 50 hz

But it a lot of dosh and I would not like to risk it without some comments from the manufactures

Stuart

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Ade,
Put a call in to a guy called Neil Ginley at Pennine Automation, sorry don't have a number, google it.
Very helpful guy and if there is one in this country he'll know where it is even if he hasn't got one.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Wahey!!
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »
I've just won myself a TNC151 controller off eBay:

It seems to be attached to some kind of milling machine....  :lol:

£1600 is a bit of a steal - especially as this one hasn't been stored outdoors.... so, the plan now is to install this one next to t'old one, the old one will begin the process of being converted into a PC-based unit. Or maybe I'll just wire them together & make 2 sumps at a time!!!

:thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Ross

• Ross' steam engines
Re: Project "YOU Bit It Off, YOU chew it", aka installing a Bridgeport CNC
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
Just read through this! Great stuff!

I hope one day I'll get to the point where I could fit one of these into my shed!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2012, 06:08:15 AM »
Very nicely done Ade!  :clap: :clap:

Hope it's all it seems to be. Good luck !  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
The buggers are breeding....

Production line, ready sah!

The new machine, albeit rather grubby, appears to be in 100% working order - and the spindle is considerably quieter than the other machine. Result!

Back to learning SolidWorks now...  :smart:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 03:37:31 AM »

OOOOOOooooohhhhhhhh.........................Nice!!!!!!!!

:D 

You lucky man.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline Hazel

• -gasp- who let that woman near a milling machine?
Hi everyone, I just bought one of these beasts, and erm, it is too tall for my Garage - yikes. And I only have single phase - double yikes. Any recomendations on how I can transport said machine the whole 7 miles from its current locale to my Garage would be great !

-Hazel

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
If it's the Interact like Adev's then you have a problem as the height cannot be reduced. If it's an ordinary manual Bridgeport you can remove the motor. Looks like your garage needs to grow a bit :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:50:09 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Hi everyone, I just bought one of these beasts, and erm, it is too tall for my Garage - yikes. And I only have single phase - double yikes. Any recomendations on how I can transport said machine the whole 7 miles from its current locale to my Garage would be great !

-Hazel

With a Hiab truck is the easiest way... if you know anyone into banger racing, they will have or know someone who has a hiab. That gets the machine from its current location to your garage; as Andrew says, if your garage is too low for the machine, you're in for a world of pain (and/or building works...). If it's just too low to go through the door, then it can be tilted (the hiab will make this easy) to get in; setting it back upright will be quite tricky (a good hiab operator will be able to do it).

You can temporarily remove the quill (Z-axis) motor & the cowlings to reduce the height while you move it around in the garage, but that Z-axis motor needs to go back where it came from... and you can't turn it over either (no room in the casting for it).

Good luck & don't forget the pictures!

PS - you need "real" 3-phase to run them, I am told. If a 3-phase supply is beyond your price range, then I would suggest buying a 3-phase alternator (machine mart do one) and the beefiest motor you can start off your single phase supply. You may find you can only run fairly light cuts (the main spindle motor is a 9hp unit), but that's better than nowt...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
I ran my Interact from a Transwave rotary converter quite satisfactorily
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Hazel

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Well, I had the roof of the garage removed - took me several days, as I am quite feeble. Then had someone put three extra courses of bricks on the walls, and then on megga-day my dad and I (okay, mostly him) put the joists on and ply on the roof. Then in the afternoon I had the mill delivered, so there it is, in a garage with no felt on the roof, and no garage door, covered in all the tarpaulins I could find. I have no manuals, and the tooling is a single QC30 keyless drill chuck and a C-spanner. I will go and take a photo of this , massive stress causer! Next on the list is a rotary converter, and a manual (I have the hidenhein manual, just need the bridgeport one so I don't blow everything up.

Offline Hazel

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
Here are the extra bricks and the monster 'undatarp' :

I guess I should think about felting the roof and covering up that big hole to.

The carrier left the mill on these old sleepers, which I need to do something about, I have a plan involving a pallet truck and some old railway sleepers..

Offline Hazel

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
I ran my Interact from a Transwave rotary converter quite satisfactorily
Can you tell me which one, and where I get it from ? :)
_Hazel

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
I at that time had a little 5kW one - google Power Capacitors Ltd - they make Transwave and will be able to recommend the right one - a very helpful company in my experience
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Hazel

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
I wired up a little 5kW rotary, and got the thing going.

It all works, X axis sounds a bit crunchy though, I got the spindle to move. I bought a maintenance manual off eBay, but it had a few pages missing, and is a really poor photocopy. so I can;t really read the wiring diagrams, which is a shame as the only fault I have is the power enable light does not come on. So far I have tracked it down to the 24V contactor.
-Hazel

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
That TNC control has has a TFT screen upgrade I think!

Just had to do one on my TNC355 as the monitor went pop with no obvious fault. (I did a bit of fault finding and proved that the switch mode psu wasn't switching)

Installed the TFT screen which worked very well straight out of the box but was pricey) then a few weeks later came across application notes for the smpsu chip in the monitor with an application circuit that was very close to the monitor, with the result I then fixed my original monitor which now lives inside the Beaver Partsmaster cabinet as a spare!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Hazel

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
Yes, the seller advertised my BP as regularly serviced, but all I got in the way of proof was an old receipt for the TFT repair - over £2k ! yikes.  I tested the coolant pump this weekend, and got sprayed with some nasty brown goop. I've spent most of the day cleaning the nasty goo out of the reservoir. Now the spindle stops after a an M03 and I no error is reported. This seems bad. I am now considering changing the spindle tooling from QC30 to 40INT, since QC30 is super rare.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
I wouldn't say it's _super rare_, Gloster Tooling sells brand new QC30 stuff (through eBay & their online catalogue), and tooling frequently comes up in the US (eBay). It's probably rarer than INT40 though, I agree.

If your spindle is stopping on an M03, how are you starting it? Or does it start, then drift/slam to a halt? Either way, not good, it is indeed supposed to just start & run. Assuming you are testing this in manual mode, did you set a spindle speed first using the Tool Call button? ISTR mine behaved "oddly" if you issued an M03 before a tool call, after powering up.

I would also recommend you start collecting servomotors... I blew one up a couple of weeks back, cost near £700 to replace (and was going to cost a lot more to rewind)...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Hazel

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »

Eeek!

OO Looks like you have a 4th axis drive installed ... want to sell it  :bugeye:

Offline Hazel

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
I wouldn't say it's _super rare_, Gloster Tooling sells brand new QC30 stuff (through eBay & their online catalogue), and tooling frequently comes up in the US (eBay). It's probably rarer than INT40 though, I agree.

If your spindle is stopping on an M03, how are you starting it? Or does it start, then drift/slam to a halt? Either way, not good, it is indeed supposed to just start & run. Assuming you are testing this in manual mode, did you set a spindle speed first using the Tool Call button? ISTR mine behaved "oddly" if you issued an M03 before a tool call, after powering up.

I would also recommend you start collecting servomotors... I blew one up a couple of weeks back, cost near £700 to replace (and was going to cost a lot more to rewind)...

It turned out the auxilliary contactor was a bit dodgy and would cut off the power to the cycle stop switch - stopping the cycle. It all seems happy now.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2013, 06:24:27 AM »

Eeek!

OO Looks like you have a 4th axis drive installed ... want to sell it  :bugeye:

Annoyingly, that's the machine I sold (only had a TNC150 on it though), I hadn't really clocked it had the 4th axis drive. There was no powered dividing head/rotary thingy with it though, so I don't know what would have been involved in getting it up & running.

I do have 2 spare drive cards, but I don't have a choke to match (I could do with one - one of the chokes on my machine is very noisy), I could possibly be tempted to part with one of those...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
I also have the same machine with a Tnc151 control! looks like we have quite a few on here! im just trying to learn the control as its like nothing ive used before  :doh:

cant wait to a program or 2 to run :headbang:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
I also have the same machine with a Tnc151 control! looks like we have quite a few on here! im just trying to learn the control as its like nothing ive used before  :doh:

cant wait to a program or 2 to run :headbang:

Cool - wanna sell it?  :lol: (I am looking for a spare machine or two.... after finding the cost of spare parts...)

The TNC programming manuals are available on the web - just search for TNC151 & follow the links on the Heidenhain website - the prgramming examples book is unfortunately only available in German, but it is of limited use anyway, unless you plan on manually programming your machine.

I'd recommend CamBam for your CAM needs - there is a postprocessor specifically for the HH TNC151 - it will generate either G-code OR conversational (which is what I use).
Cheers!
Ade.
--